• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels tour of UK/Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Larno

No - I didn't expect that you Ulster guys would ever cheer for the Blue Filth. Please post the teams if you get to know them beforehand. I dare say that Leinster will play their dirt-trackers and academy guys.

PS - is Pienaar back with you guys after the RWC, assuming he gets on the plane to NZ?

Will do, I'll nab a program if I can't find the teams before the game.

Re Ruan, I haven't the slightest. I'm hoping he's on the outer for Springbok selection after the last two games. It's looking like we'll get Johann back before the RWC starts though.

Edit: He said this in May:

[video]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/13367331.stm[/video]

How much stock you can put in that I don't know.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Did Cipriani end up staying with the Rebels? Sorry i haven't been following that story for a while.

Yes and no. My mail is that he'd been cut from the playing roster but the players threatened to boycott the tour if Danny wasn't on it. Apparently some of the forwards reckoned their only chance of getting a kill on tour was to run off Danny and hope to pick up one of his discards at whatever night club he led them to.

T

TOCC

Yes and no. My mail is that he'd been cut from the playing roster but the players threatened to boycott the tour if Danny wasn't on it. Apparently some of the forwards reckoned their only chance of getting a kill on tour was to run off Danny and hope to pick up one of his discards at whatever night club he led them to.

For a guy who is overly protective of any player who represent Uni, you can at times be rather cynical towards other players..

I've got nothing against Cipriani, his misdemeanors since been in Australia arent even that bad, it's just that his profile puts them on a bigger stage. I hope he can turn his career around so that Australia may become more attractive to prospective NH stars

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
The RaboDirect Rebels lost their opening European tour fixture 15-0 to a strong Bath outfit at The Recreation Ground on Saturday morning (AEST). Despite the reverse, Rebels Head Coach, Damien Hill, saw plenty to be optimistic about, especially the performances of the younger and newer members of the squad.
http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/4106/Default.aspx

Did anyone see the game? Would dearly love to hear whether this is an accurate summation or a coach trying to sugarcoat a loss.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
I'll be at the Leinster friendly on the 19th. I'll try and gather a few thoughts after the game and put them up on here when I get the chance. Please note that I will be turning out in support of the Rebels rather than D4's own Mexicans.

Damn right. You'll get the toe of my boot up your traditional route otherwise, me bucko. ;)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Did Cipriani end up staying with the Rebels? Sorry I haven't been following that story for a while.
Yes and no. My mail is that he'd been cut from the playing roster but the players threatened to boycott the tour if Danny wasn't on it. Apparently some of the forwards reckoned their only chance of getting a kill on tour was to run off Danny and hope to pick up one of his discards at whatever nightclub he led them to.
For a guy who is overly protective of any player who represent Uni, you can at times be rather cynical towards other players. I've got nothing against Cipriani, his misdemeanours since been in Australia aren't even that bad...

Bruce, cynical about Cipriani's sex appeal? Far from it, ole Brucie, to his eternal credit, is only concerned with the Rebels fringe players' social welfare.

C

centreman

Rebels lost to Worcester 15-3. If you read the match report from the link in the post above the reporter mentions a win against the Super 15 giants. Do they understand over there that the Rebels finished last in the Super 15.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
Rebels lost to Worcester 15-3. If you read the match report from the link in the post above the reporter mentions a win against the Super 15 giants. Do they understand over there that the Rebels finished last in the Super 15.

Wuss just got promoted to the Premiership so I guess they'll feel pretty good about it.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Righto, just back from the game. End result was Leinster 14-13 Rebels, with two missed conversions by Morty costing the Rebels in the end. Kingi and Pyle scored two tries for the Rebels in the first half and somebody kicked a penalty or drop goal which I missed (didn't see the first 15 mins). Richardt Strauss scored a try in the first half and the 14 scored one in the second, with Mat Berquist kicking both the conversions.

Unfortunately the program doesn't give numbers on jerseys but the personnel listed were:

Rebels:
Eddie Aholelei
Nigel Ah Wong
Peter Betham
Rodney Blake
Danny Cipriani
Sam Cordingley
Tim Davidson
Pama Fou
David Hardisty
Nic Henderson
James Hilgendorf
Luke Holmes
Mitch Inman
Lloyd Johansson
Luke Jones
Richard Kingi
Michael Lipman
Hoani Macdonald
Ben Matwijow
Lachlan Mitchell
Stirling Mortlock
Caderyn Neville
Hugh Pyle
Ged Robinson
Jarrod Saffy
Greg Somerville
Heath Tessman
Cooper Vuna
Laurie Weeks
Liam Windon

Leinster:
Fairies -
Mat Berquist
Andrew Boyle
Fionn Carr
Andrew Conway
John Cooney
Darren Hudson
David Kearney
Brendan Macken
Ian Madigan
Colm O'Shea
Eamonn Sheridan
Cillian Willis

Pigs -
Leo Auva'a
Aaron Dundon
Mark Flanagan
David Gannon
Jamie Hagan
Jason Harris-Wright
Jack McGrath
Ben Marshall
Jack O'Connell
Ciaran Ruddock
Rhys Ruddock
Dominic Ryan
Richardt Strauss
Steven Sykes
Devin Toner
Heinke Van de Merwe

As for the game itself, I'd say the Rebels were the better team on the park for large periods of the match but were let down by the execution. The Leinster forwards struggled against the Rebels pack at the scrum, while lineouts seemed fairly even. The breakdown was edged by the Rebels.

The Rebel backs weren't great as a unit, but had some nice individual moments (Kingi especially) and were better for my money than their Leinster counterparts. Their execution let them down, with Cipriani delivering some nice passes that his runners couldn't hold onto.

For individuals, Big Stir had a poor game, missing two conversions and falling off tackles while offering little in attack. He still got a standing ovation when he came off. Somerville, Kingi and Pyle were good. Lloyd Johansson had a few nice hits and runs, one to watch. Cooper Vuna is still abject in defence and didn't offer much in attack either.

The ref was playing for the Blue Slime. Yellow-carded Tessman in the first half with little warning and let Leinster away with blue (har har) murder. He raised his game slightly in the second but still managed to penalise Saffy for a nice bell-ringer on Rhys Ruddock. Pleasingly the Leinster pack couldn't score a pushover try scrumaging against 7 men after Tessman went off.

Hopefully a match report will appear somewhere and present some more organised thoughts than mine.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Rebels really should have killed that Leinster outfit. Strauss is the only one of that entire group who could command a regular place in their first team last year. It has been months since any of them have had any game time whatsoever

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Rebels really should have killed that Leinster outfit. Strauss is the only one of that entire group who could command a regular place in their first team last year. It has been months since any of them have had any game time whatsoever

All a matter of better execution and taking their chances I reckon. They should improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.