• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting item from Growden's "Ruck 'n Maul":

Louden to the Rebels?
The Melbourne Rebels have yet to decide who will be their head coach next season, but a fascinating development is that one of their leading players has been telling teammates he was recently coaxed into signing with the Rebels on the understanding that former Waratahs assistant coach Todd Louden will be there next year.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

Louden to the Rebels?
The Melbourne Rebels have yet to decide who will be their head coach next season, but a fascinating development is that one of their leading players has been telling teammates he was recently coaxed into signing with the Rebels on the understanding that former Waratahs assistant coach Todd Louden will be there next year.

You got the source for that article Bruce Ross?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
There's a loophole for the paywall.

Copy and paste the Article title into Google, then re-open it through Google news. Gives you the full article.

Thanks for helping a fellow Box Hill brother out :) Gotta love Google caching EVERYTHING in the world.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
There's a loophole for the paywall.

Copy and paste the Article title into Google, then re-open it through Google news. Gives you the full article.

Alternatively, you can often just get access by using news.com.au, which shares the articles. For example, with that link if you replace "theaustralian" with "news" it will give you the entire article.

(That tends to be how google gets access to it)

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
They closed that loop hole about 3 months ago. Seems they have re-opened it.

In the software development world we call it 'introducing a feature' :)

I tend to go for news.com.au or theage.com.au, but for paywall-free content (and decent authorship) I'll go to abc.net.au/news/. Problem is they aren't so good with Rugby articles.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Louden to the Rebels?

I've long been of the mind that Louden would do good things with the Rebels. Hopefully there is more than some truth to the rumour. Perhaps they might have him locked as an assistant if he doesn't get the coaching gig.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Here's an idea, Dean Whare is a very solid player from the Penrith Panthers and NZ league. He also happens to have plenty of family in Melboutne and enough years here to qualify as Ozzie.

With our reasonable success with Saffy and Vuna, let's give him a crack?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Here's an idea, Dean Whare is a very solid player from the Penrith Panthers and NZ league. He also happens to have plenty of family in Melboutne and enough years here to qualify as Ozzie.

With our reasonable success with Saffy and Vuna, let's give him a crack?

I know he does some big hits and technically is a national representative but id like to think the rebels would aim a bit higher if they were to recruit a NRL "star".

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I'm willing to bet James O'Connor won't be resigned by the Rebels. Everything I've heard out of the club is pointing at very cold feet.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm willing to bet James O'Connor won't be resigned by the Rebels. Everything I've heard out of the club is pointing at very cold feet.
Over on TWF there is talk about him chatting to some Force fans after the match on the boundary and hinting at a return to the Force. Interesting times ahead.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

I'd say with the VRU ARU taking control of the Rebels they will have a lot more say in where JOC (James O'Connor) goes next year, just like KB (Kurtley Beale) and Izzy. One theme seem to be clear; the don't want QC (Quade Cooper), KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) (or any combination of them) playing for the same soup team.

If you look at it from a Rugby growth perspective where is JOC (James O'Connor) most required to help grow the sport locally? many might argue it's not Melbourne, but then again with our AFL mad public it might just be.

If KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) left I think we have some good replacements in Woodward, Gus and Bryce; I think we would cope with the change. Then again, is the best move for KB (Kurtley Beale) to head north again (probably under a larger public scrutiny microscope) and JOC (James O'Connor) back to the team that he left on less than ideal terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.