• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
You guys need to relax about Colby's 1 year deal. I can tell you he is down there this week with his girlfriend looking for a house to buy (not rent). read the following from an article at this site http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/rugby/story/186165.html

The Rebels deal is only for the one year, but that shouldn't be read as a sign that Fainga'a plans to return home as soon as the contract is up. Rather - and it seems almost unheard of in this day and age - it was as long a deal as Fainga'a felt comfortable signing given how little rugby he'd played over the past three seasons.
"The reasoning behind that is just that I haven't played that much rugby over the past two years. Last year I had nothing, and this year I was only going to be playing five or ten minutes, if that, off the bench. I just felt that if I locked myself into a two- or three-year contract that it wouldn't really be a fair deal. Whereas I feel like I can really back myself to have a good year, and then other opportunities [to extend] will arise. I'm definitely not going to the Rebels on the thought that I'm just going to stay there for the one year and then go somewhere else. I feel as though they're a club on the rise, and there's a lot of good opportunities for myself and the club to go forward, and I think in another couple of years, we'll be a really good side."
Of course, earning a starting berth in Melbourne will be no simple task either, with New Zealand import Scott Fuglistaller impressing this year, and Jarrod Saffy and young Jordy Reid still in the mix. Fainga'a acknowledges the challenge, but plans to tackle it head on. "You don't really want to go somewhere where you're going to have an easy ride into the team; you want to prove your worth and make the position your own. I just felt had I stayed here in Canberra there was no real opportunity to make No.7 my own with Pocock here until 2015."

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I love him already. He's twice the player Fuglistaller is. If he stays injury free he is going to have an immense year.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
What's up with the Rebels head coach position?

I have heard a interesting scenario where that when Robbie Deans is eventually let go as Wallabies coach that he might be a candidate for the Rebels job.

Obviously this is all dependent of if the ARU terminates Deans & the Rebels job is Available.

But Deans would be gifted with All those marquee international roster spots whom he could lure former all blacks to one of the most liveable cities on the planet & it helps retain the likes of James OConnor & Kurtley Beale.

Would the Rebels fan base be interested in this scenario???

T

TOCC

The last coach who went from the Wallabies to a Super Rugby team didn't exactly perform too well.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
What's up with the Rebels head coach position?

I have heard a interesting scenario where that when Robbie Deans is eventually let go as Wallabies coach that he might be a candidate for the Rebels job.

Obviously this is all dependent of if the ARU terminates Deans & the Rebels job is Available.

But Deans would be gifted with All those marquee international roster spots whom he could lure former all blacks to one of the most liveable cities on the planet & it helps retain the likes of James OConnor & Kurtley Beale.

Would the Rebels fan base be interested in this scenario???
I've heard similar. Namely that whoever doesn't get the job out of McKenzie and Deans are a reasonable chance of getting the Rebels job. Deans is an outstanding Soup coach, and the Wallabies were excellent last night. I'd be thrilled if he came and coached down here.

T

Train Without a Station

The last coach who went from the Wallabies to a Super Rugby team didn't exactly perform too well.

Eddie Jones? Bob Dwyer? Not too many have been able to step back with too much success.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I assume p.tah is talking about a former South African coach with the surname White.

Interesting. I guess much of the availability of these mooted candidates relies on the success or failure of the Wallabies against the Lions and 4N.

I'd have thought Jake was building a proper powerhouse at the Brumbies, seems strange that he'd apply for the job at one of the bottom teams in the comp.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting. I guess much of the availability of these mooted candidates relies on the success or failure of the Wallabies against the Lions and 4N.

I'd have thought Jake was building a proper powerhouse at the Brumbies, seems strange that he'd apply for the job at one of the bottom teams in the comp.

Jake signed a four year deal with the Brumbies, the only ay out of that would have to be the Wallabies job.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
p.tah was talking about Jake White as a national coach who had then gone well as a Super coach.

Neither he or I were suggesting White as a possible Rebels coach.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pieter de Villiers is available.

He was going to sign with the Tamil Tigers but then he found out that they aren't a Super Rugby team.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
Jake signed a four year deal with the Brumbies, the only ay out of that would have to be the Wallabies job.

You sure about that? I read on sports24 John Smit didn't want him for the new Sharks coach, maybe White was interested?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Browsing twitter after the match last night and I came across this. That's the first I'd heard of it. Not overly surprising - he's struggled for game time and has had a limited impact when he's been on the field. An appropriate time to make some money in Japan.

Congrats @CVUNA for signing with Toshiba,Japan...another loss for the @MelbourneRebels
Retweeted by Cooper Vuna

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Deans or Ewen . Whoever is not coaching the wobblies.
My money on Ewen

Precisely what you don't need. Someone who sees Melbourne as a come down but somewhere to park while waiting for a bigger gig.

What you do need is someone who has enthusiasm for and experience in growing the base, i.e., forging developmental links between the Rebels and the Melbourne club competition. Neither Deans nor McKenzie would want to get so hands on.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
agree. anyone know much about todd louden - would he be any good?

If deans loses the wallabies gig, he will want redemption at international level and soon. if mckenzie doesn't get it, he'll want to aim for post 2015 WC. either way those guys would be a maximum two year appointment which is not what we need.
i'd rather a vern cotter or one of those expats plying their trade in france who want to get back on the international radar - cheikaesque.

Status
Not open for further replies.