• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hoping the decision has been weighing on his mind and why he has had a slow start to the season and that he makes the ARU/VRU/Rebels regret letting him leave so easily by the end of the season.

McKenzie should have capped him on EOYT but stuck with the Deans squad which is what pissed me off the most. Was not one Rebel on EOYT (Phipps already a Tah)

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Hoping the decision has been weighing on his mind and why he has had a slow start to the season and that he makes the ARU/VRU/Rebels regret letting him leave so easily by the end of the season.

McKenzie should have capped him on EOYT but stuck with the Deans squad which is what pissed me off the most. Was not one Rebel on EOYT (Phipps already a Tah)

Wasn't he still recovering from shoulder surgery?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Hey this isn't stick it up them as im interested, who would you have dropped and then in such taken from the rebels team.. Im truly interested.. I probably never would have picked Timani..

But im interested who you get rid of for Pyle or any Rebel (Im interested in this for most teams).

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hey this isn't stick it up them as im interested, who would you have dropped and then in such taken from the rebels team.. Im truly interested.. I probably never would have picked Timani..

But im interested who you get rid of for Pyle or any Rebel (Im interested in this for most teams).

I would have started Pyle ahead of Simmons and Timani going into the spring tour, in saying that Simmons played the best he ever has in the gold jersey on that tour.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Well, at least there is some hope Hugh might come back home to the Rebels.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...es-off-to-france/story-fndptz3t-1226871157191

I'm guessing he's wanting to discover that 'little bit extra' that can turn him from very good super player into future Wallaby - hopefully France will help him discover that. Certainly the potential cash on offer would be a factor and you gotta make it whilst your body is capable.

The article does highlight the big hairy elephant in southern hemisphere Rugby - money. France is offering massive contracts on the back of a massive TV rights deal and we will struggle (at least in OZ) to match that unless we get a bigger deal. There has been extensive discussion on GAGR about game growth, product development and the like and I'm hoping this starts to come to fruition very soon. Post 2015 RWC could be a dangerous time for OZ where some really good talent heads offshore.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The article does highlight the big hairy elephant in southern hemisphere Rugby - money. France is offering massive contracts on the back of a massive TV rights deal and we will struggle (at least in OZ) to match that unless we get a bigger deal. There has been extensive discussion on GAGR about game growth, product development and the like and I'm hoping this starts to come to fruition very soon. Post 2015 RWC could be a dangerous time for OZ where some really good talent heads offshore.

To even get a sniff of enough TV money the ARU needs the 3rd tier to work. When you look at everyone else they all have two good TV deals supporting the game.

Australian teams are always going to struggle to keep players, after the 2015 World Cup i'd expect about a 3rd of the squad to head to Europe to make some retirement funds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From earlier this year:

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9116669,00.html

Melbourne Rebels lock Hugh Pyle has targeted 2014 as being the year that he breaks through into the Wallaby camp.

plenty of interesting bits after that....

"I definitely want to play for the Wallabies in 2014; that goes without saying," Pyle said.

"I have been pushing for that since I started playing Super Rugby, and I think everybody playing for the Rebels is doing the same.

"To play for the Wallabies is what we all grow up wanting to do, and to achieve that at some point would be awesome.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The other thing, who the hell let him have a clause in his contract to pursue overseas opportunities. That't just bad form by the club leaving that option open half way through a contract.

It probably made the contract a fair bit cheaper and is reasonably standard. They probably presumed a spot in the Wallaby 23 by now would help him stay put.

Guys, unless I'm mistaken Pyle was carrying a minor injury for the EOYT, as was Carter from the Brumbies and a few other candidates. Could be wrong though.

D

daz

Guys, unless I'm mistaken Pyle was carrying a minor injury for the EOYT, as was Carter from the Brumbies and a few other candidates. Could be wrong though.

Correct. My understanding was that the shoulder surgery had to be done and that ruled him out pretty early in the piece.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
To even get a sniff of enough TV money the ARU needs the 3rd tier to work. When you look at everyone else they all have two good TV deals supporting the game.

Australian teams are always going to struggle to keep players, after the 2015 World Cup i'd expect about a 3rd of the squad to head to Europe to make some retirement funds.
kevin i have started another thread concerning the player exodus.

D

daz

Nice interview with Mitch Inman on SEN Melbourne this morning as they prepared to fly to Noo Zulund.

On the Pyle move, Mitch said it was a huge surprise when Hugh told the group yesterday.

Also, Kingston is unlikely to play after his head knock.

And he made some very intelligent comments about concussion and how it is treated today compared to some years ago. There is a link to the audio of his interview this morning but my office firewall won't let me get it.

Go to http://www.sen.com.au/ and click on audio.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Cool. Do we reckon Rokobaro comes into the starting 15, Male starts where he finished, or Woodward starts on the wing and Gus plays fullback (shudder).

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Cool. Do we reckon Rokobaro comes into the starting 15, Male starts where he finished, or Woodward starts on the wing and Gus plays fullback (shudder).

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk
Tough choice, anything but Roberts in the starting line up. Would start Male on the wing.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

Provided he can get the right exemptions to play, that comes down to the NZRU. They already have one international (tanaka (sp?), the Japanese scrummie) and the NZRU might not be willing to open the floodgates to international imports.

Much as my selfish Rebels self wants to keep good talent in Melbourne, you can fault a man whole wants to move hope and wear the back again. Looks like there are family considerations thee too, which I appreciate too. Can't be easy on the family moving from city to city all the time.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Nice interview with Mitch Inman on SEN Melbourne this morning as they prepared to fly to Noo Zulund.

Thanks for the link.

In the interview Mitch says that Hugh was offered the chance to live in Paris... kind of narrows down which team he might be going to. Stade Francais or Racing Metro?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

If Woodward plays on the wing I would prefer them to put one of those orange cones at fullback than start Gus there again.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Provided he can get the right exemptions to play, that comes down to the NZRU. They already have one international (tanaka (sp?), the Japanese scrummie) and the NZRU might not be willing to open the floodgates to international imports.

Why would he need an exemption? He is a capped All Black so I would have thought that there would be an issue. On that side of things at least.

Edit - Gaffachino beat me to it....... I sould read all posts before commenting...

Status
Not open for further replies.