• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
So what, Last men Standing?

1. Smith
2. Leafa
3. Weeks
4. Pyle
5. Jones
6. McMahon
7. Fuglistaller
8. Higgers (c)
9. Burgess
10. Hegarty
11. English
12. Inman
13. Ellison
14. Kingston
15. Woodward

16. Horie
17. Lahiff
18. Alo-Emile
19. Neville
20. Colby
21. Meehan
22. Sau
23. Roberts

With Eddie, Fualau, Ah-Nau, Reid, Stirzaker and Rokobaro, the only fit blokes outside the squad? At least we won't have front row or Scrummie problems.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Pretty much go with that, would even give Rokobaro a run off the bench instead of Roberts to see if he has improved from last year. May as well as a miracle is going to be be needed Friday night to beat the brumbies.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Highlander35 I was thinking the same as you re fit players. KevinO also agree with you may as well give Rokobaro a run and have Sa'u, Ellison and Woodward as cover for 10.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Did anyone watch the Quins vs Unicorns match on the weekend? How did Alex travel for Quins? Seems a good idea to give it a shot, got nothing to lose and we do have good coverage for 10.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Sure, why not give him that bench spot ahead of Roberts. Its not as if he could be worse at FH/FB than Gus. Plus he covers wing too.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
There are a lot of seriously shit-hot designers in Melbourne. Very, very, talented people working for interesting labels who could do some really cool work.

So... It's going to be awful.

Imagine team and supporter wear that actually looked good. Can but dream.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
That makes me really sad.

Hoops. Squares. Vs. Solid colours. Tri colours.

Anything too much fancier than that gets a bit cheesy and not really, rugby for mine.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reading the match reports on the Harlequins v Melbourne game it sounds like Rockabaro had a good game. Quins coach said it was the best game he has played at the club and his defense and kicking was much improved.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
There are a lot of seriously shit-hot designers in Melbourne. Very, very, talented people working for interesting labels who could do some really cool work.

So. It's going to be awful.

Imagine team and supporter wear that actually looked good. Can but dream.

So how about pink and grey in the logo? Based on the Melbourne Rising Twitter page (@MelbourneRising). How does pink sit with all you rugby types out there?

melbournrising.JPG

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
how can we incorporate the Shrine and the Westgate bridge in the one logo ?

personally pink jumpers ala Bulls or Stade Francais look good, pink and grey go well

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Problem is that it's a shitty design.

Hoops or squares (like the Harlequins?) with pink and grey could look pretty cool.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
To all those who hounded me down for saying that Stirzaker would be picked ahead of Burgess - now look who's right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
from McGahan via Stathi Paxinos

Melbourne Rebels coach Tony McGahan insists that despite a ''harsh dose of reality'', three successive losses, including a 32-7 thumping by the Western Force, had not highlighted anything he did not already know about the team.
McGahan said the losses, particularly against the Crusaders and NSW, had been based on mistakes of ''our own doing''’. These included in turnovers and a lack of intensity at crucial times, issues that come with a young team, especially in the key decision-making position of five-eighth.
''They are trying to gather the experience and train and then manage their own game and their own emotions and sometimes you end up playing the scoreboard and not playing what’s in front of them,''’ McGahan said.
''That’s just the nature of it. We knew that coming into the season. It certainly has been a major focus ... but we’ve still got a lot of learning experiences to overcome. Every team has things to work on and those things have been evident since the first day [of pre-season training] in August, and we’re working really hard."

this is the perennial problem with the rebels. claiming they are a young side is disingenuous, the starting 15 are largely the team that played in the second half of last year except with a stronger front row, better centre pairing and higginbotham back. the fly half has more experience and they had an entire pre-season together.

they still make the same skill errors and soft turnovers (especially at set piece in attack) that have been the problem since day1 against NSW in 2011. they are no doubt a vastly better team this year but still can't unlock that winning formula.

my major concern is that next year the player roster will radically change again and the same excuses will be trotted out. it will become increasingly difficult to attract and more importantly hold players for long term ie 5 - 7 years or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.