• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can anyone fill me in on the first 20 minutes and what caused the 13-0 score line ie missed tackles, penalties etc?

Well, you know my thoughts on the overall game from the other thread, but specifically related to the first 25 minutes (the period where the reds were 13 up) or so:

The rebels did not have a lot of possession during the first quarter of the game. What possession they got was kicked away to get out of their danger zone. Both lineouts were reasonably solid so that just gave possession away just over half way.

The rebels were penalised often in their defensive zone which led to a couple of failed attempts at goal and a failed attempt at a 5m lineout setup. These penalties were for off feet at ruck time, offside play, hands in the ruck, scrum collapses on both feeds etc, so the rebels have a bit to work on here.

What ball they got was through turnover from dropped ball, or through rucks where the ball would squeeze out sideways instead of behind the reds line, however the rebels rarely ran the ball during this period.

I thought the rebels defensive line was quite narrow and didn't really rush up to seal off wider channel play and the reds often tried to go around the outside man, but nothing eventuated.

Given how little of the ball the rebels had, and how little territory the rebels had it is no surprise that the rebels didn't have any points. When the rebels got down the other end, they scored and the game for the remainder of the 55-60 minutes was different to that first period.

How's that? Give you a mental picture?

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Berrick Barnes kicked 11 from 12 scoring a total of 30 points!
Yes, and didn't wear headgear. I've never seen him play without it before.

Shota captained well and put a big hit on George Smith. George was his usual self getting a few good steals but also some uncharacteristic mistakes later on with a few dropped balls. He was used as a battering ram at times and came in for some extra attention - including a couple of shoulder charges that the referee ignored. Played very well overall though.

Aside: Interesting to see Robbie Deans in the stands. He seemed to be wearing the Panasonic Wild Knights coaching gear.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes, and didn't wear headgear. I've never seen him play without it before.

Shota captained well and put a big hit on George Smith. George was his usual self getting a few good steals but also some uncharacteristic mistakes later on with a few dropped balls. He was used as a battering ram at times and came in for some extra attention - including a couple of shoulder charges that the referee ignored. Played very well overall though.

Aside: Interesting to see Robbie Deans in the stands. He seemed to be wearing the Panasonic Wild Knights coaching gear.

Panasonic hired Deans as a consultant coach.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I'm starting to get on the Rebels wagon.

It looks like the major problem last year, a leaky defence, (not just the tackling element) has been fixed and the physicality has ramped up.

I am looking forward to watching Lahiff play. I remember seeing him in his first season at the Exiles in the EP and he looked tough and promising, though he was very young for a prop then, and he looked a bit light.

How did he go for Hawkes Bay in the ITM Cup last year? I didn't see the Magpies too often.

Tackennut

Bob McCowan (2)
So here is some commitment for you....I put some money on the rebels as my dark horse bet for the season......call me stupid but I recon for the odds they are worth a shot.

I'm embarrassed to tell you what my first picks were, I can't believe it myself.

Good odds if your game on the rebels

Pete

D

daz

The Mitch Inman experiment at 12 looks wholly justified. Bringing him closer to the action, he just never stops tackling, passing, smashing at the breakdown.

Form like that over 2014 and hello Wallaby Gold.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
The Mitch Inman experiment at 12 looks wholly justified. Bringing him closer to the action, he just never stops tackling, passing, smashing at the breakdown.

Lol havent seen much of Mitch to be honest, but add him to Goodwin the force boys say is in gold in 2014 McCabe coming back Leo To'omua Harris Taps already and Beale playing 12.. where going to have at least 8 inside centres in the Gold..

D

daz

No problem.

Is there a rule that says we can't play 8 starters in the 12 jersey?

;)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

Inman was getting turned around by cooper often early in the game. But the Reds just stopped targeting him at one point, maybe leaving something for when these teams play for real points?

Inman will never be a good test player because he can't change direction quickly enough. He's a bigger version of Pat McCabe. You could see the increase in class when Ellison was playing 12, his kicking game alone bought a total other element to the Rebels play.

T

tranquility

Ellison is a genius though. To compare the two isn't really fair to either of them.

T

Train Without a Station

Inman was getting turned around by cooper often early in the game. But the Reds just stopped targeting him at one point, maybe leaving something for when these teams play for real points?

Inman will never be a good test player because he can't change direction quickly enough. He's a bigger version of Pat McCabe. You could see the increase in class when Ellison was playing 12, his kicking game alone bought a total other element to the Rebels play.

Bowside, but the biggest complaint most of us had of McCabe is that he just wasn't big enough to effectively play that style.

Bit of a moot point if To'omua can kick on though.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Here's a list of which Rebels Players have been allocated to each VRU club...

Melbourne Unicorns

Luke Burgess
Hugh Pyle
Jordy Reid
Telusa Veainu

Southern Districts

Mitch Inman
Chris Thomson
Laurie Weeks
Jason Woodward

Moorabin

Tamati Ellison