• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wrote up a review here: http://www.rebel-army.com/archives/2309

It wasn't all bad for the Rebels. Main thing to notice is that they played 4 distinct line-ups during the game, whereas the Chiefs played a more settled team for the duration.

Attack, when they got the ball, was a lot more calculated. You could tell some players have really done their homework in the off-season, Cooper Vuna especially. The forward pack did well, but three tries came off attacks from the Chiefs' rolling maul, which the team had not prepared for.

The ref was, to put it kindly, appallingly shit. Whatever penalties the Rebs got within kicking range, they chose to go for the lines to practice their lineouts (which, I would agree with HKT, need a tonne of work). If they went for goal it could have been 36-12.

There are definitely things that need work. Their one-on-one defence has improved, but as a line, they are still far too slow getting back when they turn over the ball. Every turn over got the Chiefs a guaranteed 10-15m because the Rebs weren't prepared. That, and I got that feeling that they'll still struggle to convert all of their attacking chances. They didn't play with the confidence to score (and in truth, maybe they weren't really trying to in this game) and if that lingers around then we are in strife.

In all, it's a trial. A disappointing result but hopefully Hill and co are smart enough to know what needs to happen against the Blues. I'll reserve judgement until I have a better idea of who the starting XV will be.

Thanks for taking the trouble to write the article, Stu, and for drawing our attention to it. The professional media prefer to wait for the night life action.

A

Army_Gav

It was almost impossible to see a lot of the play, due to lack of a video screen.

Best team on paper was the 2nd quarter (bar Kingi at HB), however it didn't eventuate.

As most of pointed out, lineouts & breakdown still massive issues. Freier said he'll be back for the Blues, so a bit of experience in the throwing department.

Saffy was playing openside too, compared to blindside last year, so it'll be interesting to see how he goes.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
How was Cooper V's defence? Improved at all?
I would say he's improved markedly. Defensively he's coming off a low score last year, but he kept his man in close quarters for most of the match.

He did get targeted at points in the game, but didn't get a lot of support, save for a few pearlers from JOC (James O'Connor).

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
any idea on where the membership numbers are at?

ditto for the rest of the australian teams? i know queensland is 4,400 away from 30,000......that is legit!

if you read the Herald today, you'd see that Gold Coast Suns membership numbers are down on the same time last year. GWS have less than 5,000 and the Lions and the swans don't look to be doing too well compared to their peers. a strong year for rugby in aus in terms of results and style of play could really see rugby steal back some of the members in brisbane and sydney.

D

daz

A bit under 6000, I believe. A LOT of renewals. Advertising will start to kick in about now.

They're aiming for 10,000, which would be incredible.

Cool. Once they get to 10,000 members they might just have enough cash to pay for JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale.

I was walking around Southbank yesterday and I'm sure I saw Cooper Vuna busking and Laurie Weeks drawing the Mona Lisa in chalk on the pavement......

;)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cool. Once they get to 10,000 members they might just have enough cash to pay for JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale.

I was walking around Southbank yesterday and I'm sure I saw Cooper Vuna busking and Laurie Weeks drawing the Mona Lisa in chalk on the pavement......

;)

At least it wsn't the other way around. From all reports Laurie's musical talents are not that good.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
They announced the ref before the game but as I was still queueing via the 'one ticket at time, select, print and process appraoch" I missed his name. A fairly slight mousy blond guy who looked young and out of his depth. The tall dark haired assistant ref/touchie was trying to correct his calls all night. Ref and touchie were not happy with one another.

Angus Gardner is an up and coming Sydney referee; so it's disappointing that he had a bad game. Steve Walsh, a RWC referee, would have been the guy guiding him.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
A bit under 6000, I believe. A LOT of renewals. Advertising will start to kick in about now.

They're aiming for 10,000, which would be incredible.
I'd hope all 6,000 of those are renewals to be honest, otherwise that is a pretty dissapointing figure. what were the membership numbers last year? I would have thought 10,000 to be the minimum. I know its the second season, but brand recognition of the squad in melbourne is very strong. The media have embraced the team. In this city, I'd have hoped for we'd be closer to 10k already.

A

Army_Gav

I'd hope all 6,000 of those are renewals to be honest, otherwise that is a pretty dissapointing figure. what were the membership numbers last year? I would have thought 10,000 to be the minimum. I know its the second season, but brand recognition of the squad in melbourne is very strong. The media have embraced the team. In this city, I'd have hoped for we'd be closer to 10k already.
Beat the Tahs and...
bandwagon_553.jpg

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
That was the number given at the members day, which was a few weeks after memberships were launched but a few weeks before ads start.

Same time last year we would be at about 3k.

I would say about 90% renewals as a logical guess.

D

daz

I know its the second season, but brand recognition of the squad in melbourne is very strong. The media have embraced the team. In this city, I'd have hoped for we'd be closer to 10k already.

Really? I read the Age and the HS every day and the Rebs barely get a passing mention. A review of the trial game last week was half a page, fair enough, but apart from the occasional feature, it really isn't that good.

When was the last time you saw the Rebels get mentioned on the 6pm news? Even rarer than print coverage.

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
Angus Gardner is an up and coming Sydney referee; so it's disappointing that he had a bad game. Steve Walsh, a RWC referee, would have been the guy guiding him.
Thanks LG. I thought it was Walsh but to me that didn't make sense (at the time). In hindsight of course it makes sense and it is the perfect way to develop young refs. The body language of Walsh at the final missed knock-on was interesting and in my eyes very funny and telling. He really let his exasperation show and overruled Angus pretty bluntly.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really? I read the Age and the HS every day and the Rebs barely get a passing mention. A review of the trial game last week was half a page, fair enough, but apart from the occasional feature, it really isn't that good.

When was the last time you saw the Rebels get mentioned on the 6pm news? Even rarer than print coverage.

The Rebels (or the Storm) rarely get a mention on Channel 7's news, and they're generally the top ranked local news service...

The A League actually gets more coverage on there...

Reactions: daz
D

daz

He's a good ref, Walsh, but can be a drama queen.

+1
Without having seen the game myself, and without knowing the arrangement or the finer details, if the reports are correct it seems a bit rough to have such obvious and public displays of frustration by a mentor. I would expect a junior ref to get a few things wrong (a million things to remember in the heat of battle with every eye in the stadium on you is not easy) but I hope Walsh at least provided a decent debrief away from the public gaze.

Not keen on huffing and puffing. Poor form, Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.