• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The japanese season ends early in the super rugby season. Would be a good signing for the rebels at 6, saffy can play 7 and delve 8. Decent backrow.

Yes but he's just played a full European season, then the WC, Japan and then Super rugby. By then he's going to be pretty jaded and will need a pretty light load in order not to get totally burnt out. Timani's in the same boat if he comes back for the Tahs.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Timani has played like, one full game or two since the end of the Super Rugby season.

So no danger of getting burnt out like Haskell.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
The Rebels have also signed Auckland Blues lock James King on a two-year contract. Does he take up an import spot, or does he have an Australian grandparent somewhere? Maybe the Haskell signing is looking unlikely (noting that King is another import and the article in the above post notes he plays lock/No. 6).

How I wish we had a clear policy from the ARU on contracting instead of everybody having to cobble together their best understanding of the system based on observations and hearsay.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The japanese season ends early in the super rugby season. Would be a good signing for the rebels at 6, saffy can play 7 and delve 8. Decent backrow.

And then he misses pre-season training, why would a club accept that? The case would be different for Timani who has already been in the Tahs system.

He'd be useless trying to come into a Rebels side when the season has already started.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
And then he misses pre-season training, why would a club accept that? The case would be different for Timani who has already been in the Tahs system.

He'd be useless trying to come into a Rebels side when the season has already started.

Why not, he wants to play and the rebels look like his only option. Its not like they are going to throw money at him, it will just be a short contract he'll add a bit of backrow depth and nothing more. Flanker is one of the easier positions to slide guys into, not an much combo work needs to be done. The lineout would be the big thing they would need to work on with him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It has been done. http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/4433/Default.aspx

Starting to have a LOT of depth in the midfield, yeah.

would love for someone to provide insight to the rest of the squad, here are the confirmed signings we've been able to track. Recorded here Rebels Contracted Players

1 Adam Freier Hooker 2012
2 Ged Robinson Hooker 2013
3 Laurie Weeks Prop 2012
4 Paul Alo-Emile Prop 2013
5 Hugh Pyle Lock 2013
6 James King Lock 2013
7 Tom Chamberlain Back row 2013
8 Nick Phipps Scrumhalf 2013
9 Richard Kingi Scrumhalf/Wing/Fullback 2012
10 Danny Cipriani Flyhalf/Fullback 2012
11 James Hilgendorf Flyhalf/Fullback 2012
12 Kurtley Beale Fullback/Flyhalf 2013
13 James O'Connor Fullback/Wing/Centre/Flyhalf 2013
14 Mitch Inman Centre 2013
15 Stirling Mortlock Centre 2013
16 Lloyd Johansson Centre 2012??

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
More importantly, PAE!

Agree - Johansson got all the ink but the signing of PAE may be the more important one for them if he stays in Melbourne. It may be silly to be talking about a 19 y.o. THP like that but I started saying 2 years ago that he could be anything in our game. Since then he has looked decent enough for the Oz U/20 team and he didn't look out of place, as a senior player, for the Force A team earlier this year when I saw him.

It will be a bitter pill for the Force to lose him and local hooker Siliva from their future front row, but such is life.

He will be 20 by the start of Super Rugby next year, too early probably to have a starting game, but it will come and then we can see if the fuss we have made of him all this time was warranted.

I think it will be, but talk is cheap.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
backline is going to be mean with three of the most exciting playmakers in aus super rugby atm. Still cannot believe they let JP go as we are lacking depth for quality out and out wingers, save for maybe betham. i hope they don't resort to moving JOC (James O'Connor) out wide as i think he is wasted out there.

I think we can expect to see something similar to this from hill depending on whether Mortlock can take his body together for each week for a starting spot, which i hope he doesn't as was unable to last over 50 minutes coming towards the end of the season and would be much more effective coming on as a substitute.
9. Phipps
10. Cipriani
11. Vuna
12. O'Connor
13. Gerrard
14. mitchell
15. Beale

Inman, Johansson and Mortlock (or whoever he replaces in the above line-up) will all be fighting for a reserve spot which is nice as well as giving a chance to rotate squad members during the longer season, as well as being able to drop anyone if they act like a cock like cipriani again.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree with PAE's signing, how the Force - who a lacking props - let him go is amazing. On the other hand, it is a bit disconcerting that the guy has left the Force after just a year, but perhaps the west coast was just not for him (or he got a better offer). Why oh why would the Force only sign him for a year, though, at that age and his potential?

T

tranquility

He is supposed to the most humble person you will come across, although 3 teams in 3 seasons is a little strange isn't it?

T

TOCC

Agree with PAE's signing, how the Force - who a lacking props - let him go is amazing. On the other hand, it is a bit disconcerting that the guy has left the Force after just a year, but perhaps the west coast was just not for him (or he got a better offer). Why oh why would the Force only sign him for a year, though, at that age and his potential?

Force only offered him a $15'000 trainee contract, the Rebels offered him a full contract..
what can you do, theres only a limited number of spots.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Really, really happy about signing PAE, Johannson not so much. Think it's a fantastic sign that we're chasing after young Australian players as much as possible, there's some definite long term thinking at play.

T

TOCC

Johannson had so much talent when he was younger, he just missed the boat at the Reds, i dont think he was developed and brought through properly.

T

tranquility

Incredible, incredible schools player.... Can't express how good he was at that level, as good as Karmichael albeit with different styles.

M

Motorboater

He was one of the most dominant schools players I have seen, however I have to say it was more-so due to his size than skill as a footy player.

Status
Not open for further replies.