• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RBS 6 Nations 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
they'll need to get their selection and tactics a lot better if they are to avoid it!
Or play against teams like Ireland, after 44 minutes, who keep kicking them the ball. Wales did not play their way back into the game they were let back into the game by Ireland. We cannot keep defending against bigger teams and they are all bigger than us if we just give them the ball.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Italy win against Scotland (which they are probably likely to do but not overwhelmingly so) then we could be in for a crazy looking table because I can't see France losing too many more games, they have the depth to name a completely different starting 15 next week and have it still be competitive (though depth doesn't always win you games).

Really Italy could come 3rd off 2 wins, though off last nights performance they'd be competitive with anybody but they haven't proved their consistency yet.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
That's right. They have to develop consistency. Gli Azzurri were massively fired up yesterday. Castro nearly took Sergio's head off during the singing of the anthem. And, as well as they played, France were utter rubbish.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's right. They have to develop consistency. Gli Azzurri were massively fired up yesterday. Castro nearly took Sergio's head off during the singing of the anthem. And, as well as they played, France were utter rubbish.

He does that every time they sing the anthem, he's a theatrical fellow. It's probably why he's such a cult figure.

France weren't good for a lot of the game but that was good pressure. Last time Italy won it was France who lost it, whereas this time Italy won. Get what I mean?

They were proactive and played well and deserved a win, it didn't happen for them.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
I get exactly what you mean. A very different match from two years ago. What I want, though, is the same intensity again. That's the challenge. Brunel has worked very very hard on their confidence, their belief in themselves.

Sadly, typically, the win didn't make it to the top of La Republicca's sports page this morning.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If Italy win against Scotland (which they are probably likely to do but not overwhelmingly so) then we could be in for a crazy looking table because I can't see France losing too many more games, they have the depth to name a completely different starting 15 next week and have it still be competitive (though depth doesn't always win you games).

Really Italy could come 3rd off 2 wins, though off last nights performance they'd be competitive with anybody but they haven't proved their consistency yet.

Italy usually ship a heavy beating away to England which plays havoc with their points difference, I'd fancy Ireland to put a few tries on them if we are still in with a shout of the championship. In short I'd fancy they'll need to beat Scotland and Wales to finish in the top 3

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

Italy can be very poor away from home and this is a must win game for the sweaties.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Just watched the Italy vs. France. What a game I knew the result but I was on the edge of my seat for the last 10 mins.
Italy were sublime. Excellent lines, support play at speed and defence that just frustrated the French into poor handling errors.

What a stage to pull off a victory like that. in Rome in front of 65,000+ spectators. Brilliant.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Italy can be very poor away from home and this is a must win game for the sweaties.

Agreed. In my eyes there are 3 key areas for the Italians to improve to win next week:

1) Clean up the D. The tackling was passionate and low, but the defensive structure was poor (numbers not well spread, leaving holes, etc).
2) Work on the switches. Italy obviously were very keen on the tight switch, it paid mixed results with plenty of knock-ons. If you're going to use this as a tool it needs to be done better.
3) Get to the break down quicker, it seems the Italians were reacting too slowly to getting to the breakdown too regularly. The usually won the ball, but it was slower and messier than need be.

Sort these out and it'll be a famous 6N.

Italy usually ship a heavy beating away to England which plays havoc with their points difference, I'd fancy Ireland to put a few tries on them if we are still in with a shout of the championship. In short I'd fancy they'll need to beat Scotland and Wales to finish in the top 3
You're right and completely rational but still, Italy don't "usually" beat France playing running rugby.
I will spend all week hoping this won't be a usual 6N. I hope this isn't shattered come next Monday.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Italy were sublime. Excellent lines, support play at speed and defence that just frustrated the French into poor handling errors.

What a stage to pull off a victory like that. in Rome in front of 65,000+ spectators. Brilliant.

The lines and support play are what Brunel has been drumming into them. And the confidence to play that way.

I'll be in Rome to see Italy-Ireland. Quite looking forward to it. ;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still trying to milk penalties from the scrum however, backfired a few times. Just get it out!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Agreed. In my eyes there are 3 key areas for the Italians to improve to win next week:

1) Clean up the D. The tackling was passionate and low, but the defensive structure was poor (numbers not well spread, leaving holes, etc).
2) Work on the switches. Italy obviously were very keen on the tight switch, it paid mixed results with plenty of knock-ons. If you're going to use this as a tool it needs to be done better.
3) Get to the break down quicker, it seems the Italians were reacting too slowly to getting to the breakdown too regularly. The usually won the ball, but it was slower and messier than need be.

Sort these out and it'll be a famous 6N.

You're right and completely rational but still, Italy don't "usually" beat France playing running rugby.
I will spend all week hoping this won't be a usual 6N. I hope this isn't shattered come next Monday.
Weather could be another factor for the Italians as well because the forecast for this weekend is fairly brutal for Edinburgh which I would think the Scots would handle better than Italy. Will be good game though.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
I think the Italians might enjoy a bad-weather slog. It gets pretty brutal here in the North in rugby season and they're used to it.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Samoan is back for England but looks like Ben Morgan is out. If the Gun Show is lining up at 6 and Wood at 8 I'd fancy Ireland to have a serious upper hand in the back row

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wales hasn't showed their class ever since they fell to Australia last year. I think they'll see an opportunity to destroy an opposition and use that to get back into it. I just don't know if it will be Italy or Scotland that they destroy.

Status
Not open for further replies.