• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Let’s also not pretend that Mac Grealy is more than what he is, or that he’s a material loss to the Reds.

He‘s had substantial opportunity and while he‘s a hard worker, I haven’t seen him break a tackle nor does he really seem particularly elusive.

He’s a depth outside back with a high work rate and looks to make smart decisions, but you already have a more effective and elusive version in Campbell.

It’s understandable why Ryan would have been prioritired.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Mostly I agree, but...
Let’s also not pretend that Mac Grealy is [...] a material loss to the Reds.

Of course he is. The loss (or failure) of any player who the Reds have invested in is quite literally a material loss. In the mean time can't we be at least a little grateful and respectful when we lose guys whose development we have been following? We've been flooded by ex-pat Rebels in a situation that is quite outside Grealy's control. He leaves with my recognition and respect.

Go well, Mac.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
In any case, Grealey is a good young player who's contributed well to the Reds without the reward of tries. Hopefully he'll play at 15 for the Force, which is his natural position.

Natural position at club rugby maybe. But he is still very undersized to be playing the position particularly at pro level.

Regardless there have been better players than Grealy who missed out on squads over the years. It is what it is.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Mac is in a similar vein to the likes of Muirhead IMO

I dont think it's a reflection of Macs skillset/ability, more a reflection of where the backline is at the moment and trying to find that balance, if Mac sat on the end of a backline featuring a few 90-100kg players, then it would be fine, but given he is a small winger on the end of a small backline, there's not really great balance there. Reds backs had some great ball movement and playmaking going on, but when that broke down, they struggled to straighten the attack and get across the gain line.

Again, this is another reason I think Anderson was brought in.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Vunivalu has 80 points from 39 games according to Wikipedia.

I assume those who are don't think Grealy deserves a spot due to lack of tries will be wanting Vunivalu on one wing?
Don't think we will see much of either in Red next year, but I do reckon the winger with 16 tries from 34 matches gets a third highly paid contract, despite all the other limitations, while the one with zero tries from 29 matches gets lowballed by his team and has to find another side to play for.

Pro rugby is what it is

seabasss

Bob McCowan (2)
Vunivalu always had a oddly high strike rate, despite him struggle to find his feet in the game. I would say a large majority were close range tries where he was just big/heavy enough to get himself over the line.

Unfortunately Grealy doesn't have that physical trait to fall back on. I've never been a proponent that there is a size requirement in rugby, you are either good enough or you aren't (so many examples of small players that are world class), but Grealy right now isn't good enough in the other areas of his game to make up the difference.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Mac will either keep it going or it will be like Robbie Coleman. Talent is there but when your undersized it's a constant uphill battle to establish then hold your spot when new players come onto the market.

He's a loss as he clearly gets the Reds system and played well under Kiss but will pick up another opportunity. Personally would love players like this to be up-skilled across 9 like Hougaard. At first it seems silly but with bench splits these days some players would be worth their weight in gold if they could cross big positional switches.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Unfortunately Grealy doesn't have that physical trait to fall back on. I've never been a proponent that there is a size requirement in rugby, you are either good enough or you aren't (so many examples of small players that are world class), but Grealy right now isn't good enough in the other areas of his game to make up the difference.
100%.

There are countless of examples of small players excelling (especially in the 15 jersey) just look at D Mac or even Campbell.

He just hasn’t shown enough with the ball; he’s not that elusive and isn’t a second ball-playing option.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds have officially farewelled Peni Ravai (Fijian Drua), Cormac Daly (Yokohama Canon Eagles) and Connor Anderson (Chugoku Red Regulions)
Not too surprising to see Anderson gone, he always looked like he'd be the one to go from the backrow after not seeing time this year. Good to see he's picked up a pro contract elsewhere.

Reactions: TSR

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Has anyone had a close look at Viliami Lea? I see he is playing 12 this weekend for Souths and contracted in Japan at Toyota Verblitz. He is down as 108kg and with their being a lack of size in the backs in Aussie rugby, could he be a player of interest to an Aussie franchise?