• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

the profiles for the 2009 players have being updated on the Reds website..

Lucas looks like he might have beefed up a bit in the off-season

F

formeropenside

Jack Kennedy at 110kg and Laurie Weeks at 114kg seem a little light for THPs. Maybe a little S14 conditioning will bulk them up. Esp as one of them will probably ride the pine behind Edwards and get 20+ mins per game.

Daley still weighs in at 108kg: seems a little light for a top level prop these days.

R

rugbywhisperer

formeropenside said:
Jack Kennedy at 110kg and Laurie Weeks at 114kg seem a little light for THPs. Maybe a little S14 conditioning will bulk them up. Esp as one of them will probably ride the pine behind Edwards and get 20+ mins per game.
Daley still weighs in at 108kg: seems a little light for a top level prop these days.

I predict young Will Slippper wil get a run this year. Reports from HQ are very positive.

F

formeropenside

Still only 32 profiles up too: who gets the no.33 slot? A young shepherd or saffa? Some youthful giant PI? A re-fit Caleb Brown repenting of his sin of signing for the Force?

Ruan Smith would be nice, but we will have to simply wait and see.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Listened to Braid, Horwill and Barnes having a 'fireside chat' at a dinner last night.

Braid is surprisingly small in stature but spoke well and seems raring to go.

Barnes was a big wrap for the two 9's Genia and Lucas.Came across as a genuinely good bloke.

Horwill very assured and quite modest.

Spirit seems great in the Reds camp.

Still probably a season away from being top of the ladder competitive but I can't wait for the 09 season to start anyway!

T

TOCC

Fainga'a Twins
08_Faingaa_twins.jpg

Byrnes
IMG_0554.JPG

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
rugbywhisperer said:
formeropenside said:

I predict young Will Slippper wil get a run this year. Reports from HQ are very positive.
Very good player RW. Hope his introduction, if it happens, is against carefully selected opposition. Theres some brutes out there.

R

rugbywhisperer

spectator said:
rugbywhisperer said:
formeropenside said:

Very good player RW. Hope his introduction, if it happens, is against carefully selected opposition. Theres some brutes out there.

I think he will fare well. he had a good report from the Euro tour, he has all the skills and he is one of those we should be looking at to get the occasional game time to get him into a position to be a regular. If we don't treat him right and give him the joy of some game time we will lose him to another franchise. You can't keep them in cotton wool forever.

F

formeropenside

We need to develop good local boys; poaching southern leftovers is rarely the way to go.

R

rugbywhisperer

How many Queensland bred players are now with the other three franchises.
If we had them back there would be no question at all of fielding a top competitive team.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
How many Queensland bred players are now with the other three franchises. If we had them back there would be no question at all of fielding a top competitive team.

And therein lies the crux of Queensland's current problems: why have so many of them wanted to play elsewhere? I sincerely hope whatever's ailing Queensland rugby is found and fixed. Quickly.

T

TOCC

I blame that on the high turnover of coaches in recent years, no long term planning
Hopefully qld can loach back JOC (James O'Connor), pocock, mitchell and chapman next year...
Even of we get only one of those players it will me a bonus

P

PhucNgo

correct. There are a number of S14 contracted players (2 per state) so its interesting to see who is selected. It will be good development for these lads to play 7s under Snoz. Interestingly that Daruda is there, might say something about his standing at the Force?

Its Higginbottham and Tou from the Reds.

Mowen and Batger (injured) from the Tahs.

Zipper and Betham from the Brums

And Daruda and D H-P from the 4s.

Haven't the Tahs put Batger on eBay yet? :fishing

R

rugbywhisperer

Lindommer said:
rugbywhisperer said:
How many Queensland bred players are now with the other three franchises. If we had them back there would be no question at all of fielding a top competitive team.
And therein lies the crux of Queensland's current problems: why have so many of them wanted to play elsewhere? I sincerely hope whatever's ailing Queensland rugby is found and fixed. Quickly.

The problems with Qld go far deeper than what most people think.
Without saying things which could end up in court, unless a lot of things change WRT a number of clubs and their relationship with the QRU, nothing will change.
I have said before elsewhere, the best thing for the Qld Reds is to be removed from the Qru and any influence from the QRU and the clubs.
Political is a good word and it extends to levels way below the senior grades and impacts on all forms of representative teams under the Qld banner.
The comments expressed here are an opinion and no fact is to be derived from then.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Not privvy to the politics and agree that the QRU has been less than impressive in the recent past, BUT, they seem to have some good people involved these days. Obviously Mooney as head coach, but also guys like Emtage, Carozza and Whittaker seem very capable.

T

TOCC

I believe that the qru are slowly getting back on track, mooney and whitaker for starters,
Also the ballymore redevelopment is pretty impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.