• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
See if I can make it, but only if we have a TYS meeting at The Spotted Cow after the game. I'll start work on the agenda. ;D ;D ;D

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I would be interested in a trip up to Toowoomba in January and even a spotted cow if that is how things are done up there. :nta:

T

TOCC

the spotted cow, its probably the best pub in Toowoomba.. just think of Toowoombas version of the Storey Bridge Hotel..

It is a Rugby Union pub though, you can find quite a few rugby jerseys through the pubs signed by players like Eales etc.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm feeling a little more upbeat about next season after the spring tour performaces of our Reds players.

Quade Cooper seems to have matured from this tour I hope to see him step up another level next year & I must apologise to Noddy after I wrote of Cooper's selection in the squad as a waste of time when Noddy was so full of Praise for Dingos selection of Cooper,I think the Reds will benefit greatly from this in 2009.

Digby Ioane has probably been our best ball running back on tour & has even learnt how to kick when needed.

Peter Hynes has always performed for the Reds but now he has to take on a senior role & start to lead by example, I don't see Hynes as a talker so maybe a Mortlock type role.

Hopefully Horwill's foot magically recovers over christmas & he he is back on board for round 1, but if not maybe McMeniman can can string together some games.

R

rugbywhisperer

3 months ago I wouldn't have given two bob for the Red's chances but I am a bit more upbeat now.
Cooper, Hynes, MMM and Ioane all have had great tours and matured greatly. I was impressed with Cooper against Wales and I hope he gets a gig against the Baa Baas. MMM and Horwill should be the core of the pack and a great boost and I hope he is fit.
Lucas should be OK and on top of his game. Barnes at 12, the bus for what he is worth will add some experience,
Wow, that is a great backline. Need a 15 though and if Brown is back (and fit ) Hynes could cover 15.

9: Lucas
10: Cooper
11: Ioane
12: Barnes
13: The Bus
14: Brown
15: Hynes

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Quade Cooper seems to have matured from this tour I hope to see him step up another level next year & I must apologise to Noddy after I wrote of Cooper's selection in the squad as a waste of time when Noddy was so full of Praise for Dingos selection of Cooper,I think the Reds will benefit greatly from this in 2009.

I think Noddy's praise may have been less to do with Coopers readiness as an international and more to do with Deans helping his development, and thus helping the Reds into the 2009 season.

T

TOCC

Caleb Brown isnt back, his out injured again anyway

Im quite happy with the progress of some of the Reds players this trip as well, i said it from day one that Deans selecting Cooper would help him enormously with his player development, whilst not ready to control a test match from 5/8, there is no better time to learn.

I think Horwill should be back by the start of the season, after initial surgery the mid-season return was a worst case scenario, so hopefully that means he will be ready by game 1.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The QR Reds' new marquee signing Daniel Braid had his first day on the job with his new team today and gave an emphatic thumbs up to the "outstanding" Ballymore training facilities.

Despite having to face training in 30 degree heat only days after arriving from New Zealand, the former All Black flanker was enthusiastic about his new surroundings and new team-mates.

"It's an outstanding setup. And doing the 'beep' test with the guys as well, everyone out there was pretty competitive, they really pushed themselves and talked to each other," he told reporters.

Still in the final stages of recovery from an ankle injury, Braid was limited to the fitness-gauging "beep", or yo-yo test on his first day, but expects to be in full training in a few days' time.

He said the heat would be a challenge, but one he'll turn to his advantage as he prepares for the 2009 Investec Super 14 campaign.

"(Only) the start of December and it's like mid-summer in Auckland. But that'll trim me down and I'll get pretty fit," he said.

He's also looking forward to working with the players and coaching staff on tightening the Reds defensive screen.

"That's a big part of my game, defence, I'm a key person in that being an open-side.

"I've got a lot of ideas I can bring in about defence. And looking at the talent we've got running around we can definitely score points."

Braid comes to the side as the 2007 New Zealand player of the year and a veteran of 78 appearances for his Auckland province, 59 of them in Super Rugby with the Blues.

He's aware that as a marquee player, expectations on him are high. But he welcomes that challenge, too.

"I'd hope there'd be a bit of expectation on me coming over from New Zealand and I look forward to it," he said.

"If there is that expectation I hope that it will push me to step up and perform."

good.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
rugbywhisperer said:
3 months ago I wouldn't have given two bob for the Red's chances but I am a bit more upbeat now.
Cooper, Hynes, MMM and Ioane all have had great tours and matured greatly. I was impressed with Cooper against Wales and I hope he gets a gig against the Baa Baas. MMM and Horwill should be the core of the pack and a great boost and I hope he is fit.
Lucas should be OK and on top of his game. Barnes at 12, the bus for what he is worth will add some experience,
Wow, that is a great backline. Need a 15 though and if Brown is back (and fit ) Hynes could cover 15.

9: Lucas
10: Cooper
11: Ioane
12: Barnes
13: The Bus
14: Brown
15: Hynes
Brown went to the Force didn't he, only to get released after pulling another hammy on the Force tour? In any case Vaalu in the 14 jerseywould do the job.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
spectator said:
Brown went to the Force didn't he, only to get released after pulling another hammy on the Force tour? In any case Vaalu in the 14 jerseywould do the job.

I'm keen on seeing how Davies goes. Toua is probably a year or two off, I think, but will get a shot at 15 eventually.

Reds will still be pushing hard for Karmichael Hunt, who comes off contract end of 2009. If I remember correctly, Hunt played his schoolboy rugby at 12, and carved up there as well. Not sure where he'd play for the Reds if selected, but I suspect they'd look at him as a 12 / 13 / 15.

R

rugbywhisperer

Ash said:
spectator said:
I'm keen on seeing how Davies goes. Toua is probably a year or two off, I think, but will get a shot at 15 eventually.
Reds will still be pushing hard for Karmichael Hunt, who comes off contract end of 2009. If I remember correctly, Hunt played his schoolboy rugby at 12, and carved up there as well. Not sure where he'd play for the Reds if selected, but I suspect they'd look at him as a 12 / 13 / 15.
he played for Churchie, damn you for reviving those memories - cost us a premiership - think we shared it with Churchie after that match.
He was a very good no 12, carved us up all day.

T

TOCC

Hunt also played some matches for Churchie from fullback, was pretty good there too, would split sides open when he ran the ball back, that was more to do with the fact he was physically more developed then great speed or footwork though.

I think we could see Vaalu at fullback as well, Latham had big wraps on the kid and i dont think we have seen what he is capabale of yet, he was to young in his first season for the Reds and he didnt get a massive amount of time to show his skill in 2008.

I expect to see McLinden as starting fullback for the first few games at least, we have some decent outside backs to choose from, with Digby and Hynes the two wallaby wingers.

F

formeropenside

fuck, do the Reds really need a drug-addled Mungo? If we have to buy some league player, get Folau.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
formeropenside said:
fuck, do the Reds really need a drug-addled Mungo? If we have to buy some league player, get Folau.

Yeah, I may not agree with the Mormon religion (or any religion at all, for what it's worth) but at least they are very clean living. Players like Folau and Ben Hannant would be worth every cent to clubs simply because they don't drink and will not get intro trouble.

R

rugbywhisperer

TOCC said:
Hunt also played some matches for Churchie from fullback, was pretty good there too, would split sides open when he ran the ball back, that was more to do with the fact he was physically more developed then great speed or footwork though.

There we go, opening up those memories again.
Actually, when he played TSS I think he was at 15 and Levin was at 12.

F

formeropenside

Ash said:
formeropenside said:

Yeah, I may not agree with the Mormon religion (or any religion at all, for what it's worth) but at least they are very clean living. Players like Folau and Ben Hannant would be worth every cent to clubs simply because they don't drink and will not get intro trouble.

I actually meant that Folau is a hell of an athlete, but yeah, the clean living part would be nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.