• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So which Australians who played 10 this year are still fit?

Zack Holmes
Dave Harvey
James Stannard
Daniel Halangahu
Berrick Barnes
Kurtley Beale
Mike Harris
Ben Lucas (?)
Bernard Foley

None of them exactly set the world on fire at 10, except Beale. But he has his own issues at the moment. It's gonna be Barnes.

Of that list only Holmes, Beale and Foley have the potential to run a backline. Foley and Holmes are too inexperienced yet which leaves Beale. I want him at 10 and Barnes at 15 with no other changes to the backline.

But I suspect Deans will put Barnes back at 10 because he thinks very conservatively. We've gone from an attacking backline mindset two years ago to a totally defensive mindset now and Deans will especially not want to take a risk because his job security is on a knife edge.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Of that list only Holmes, Beale and Foley have the potential to run a backline. Foley and Holmes are too inexperienced yet which leaves Beale. I want him at 10 and Barnes at 15 with no other changes to the backline.

But I suspect Deans will put Barnes back at 10 because he thinks very conservatively. We've gone from an attacking backline mindset two years ago to a totally defensive mindset now and Deans will especially not want to take a risk because his job security is on a knife edge.

Deans has no idea what he wants to do. This year alone:

1. Conservative play with Barnes at 10
2. Try to swing it wide early with Barnes at 10
3. Put cooper at 10 but then use several plays where Barnes is 1st receiver and cooper doesn't get the ball (pass to a forward instead to truck it up)
4. Have cooper at 10 run the play with more width in attack

Is this a progression of our backline or a coach that has lost it?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Leave Barnes at FB. He looked like he had some real promise in the position so lets develop it.

Looking for a 10 who takes the ball to the line and can run a back line I would be reaching out to Ben Lucas. I have no idea if he is fit though.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I understand Dallan Murphy has just finished up for Brothers in their loss on the weekend in Brisbane. Maybe a coach of Deans's character would be able to mould him into a test 10.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Beale was electric at 10 for us (Rebels) and is my preference but otherwise O'Connor.

Barnes at 10 in my opinion has been awful. 15 worked well for him. Don't mess with it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We did, his name was Matt Giteau.
You beat me to it Enforcer. But to add to your post, how good would it be to have Luke Burgess and Matt Giteau still playing footy in Aus at the moment. Seems they are no longer surplus to our needs.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I understand Dallan Murphy has just finished up for Brothers in their loss on the weekend in Brisbane. Maybe a coach of Deans's character would be able to mould him into a test 10.
I'm not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not. But are you referring to the red headed Dallan Murphy that filled in at the Reds this year?

From what I saw of him he was dreadful and seemed completely lost at S15 level. Not sure he'd be much better under Deans in the Green and Gold.

Reactions: HG

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I'm at the point where I'm in the queue to kick Deans.

Dallan is a good footballer, I think he's off to France and I wish him luck. In 5 years we might be thinking of him as we do Brock James now.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia is always going to lose these sort of footballers overseas.

If they aren't good enough to make the Wallabies but they want to make the most of a career out of rugby, going overseas makes sense.

If you're only ever going to be of Super Rugby standard (or not quite that standard) there will be more lucrative opportunities overseas.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
That would be his brother who played, Damon, Dallan has been injured since the mid-way point of the premier competition.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
Leave Barnes at FB. He looked like he had some real promise in the position so lets develop it.

Looking for a 10 who takes the ball to the line and can run a back line I would be reaching out to Ben Lucas. I have no idea if he is fit though.
I agree. Barnes looked good under the high ball last week and is a must have with his goal kicking at the moment. Boks will bomb the life out of our FB. Plus, why not leave him at full back as a long term plan (ie. lets make that his position, leave him there to develop and give him some time to grow into the position). Same with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13.

With that in mind, put Beale in at 10. He is hopeless under the high ball at the moment, so 10 is probably a better spot for him anyway. I would really like Deans to have some consistency with positions - ie. each player has one position they are played at and work on developing. It seems to me that each position has its own unique challenges and skill sets and the players are never going to progress if they are in a different position each week.

W

What2040

Not particularly disposed to Berrick at 10. Some time ago I would have preferred Beale but not now (for many reasons already posted). Harris I think is a long way behind Berrick and just not worth the risk. As long as Berrick only runs on his stumps and passes the ball without shitty kicks I will be OK with that.

T

TOCC

hmmm my preference would be to keep Barnes at the back because he was actually pretty good there last week, significantly better then when Beale played there..

Beale might go alright at 10, we can always put Harris on the bench in a worse case scenario type situation.

9. Phibbs
10. Beale
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Shipperly
15. Barnes

20. Sheehan
21. Harris
22. Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.