• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Tips this week

All week I have been dissecting how I got 4 out of 4 last week and have come to the conclusion that it was a result of good fortune not good analysis. Even though I’m taking the Souths win because GPS, despite scoring more tries, their backs still didn’t score more than their forwards.

But for what it is worth:

Wests look back in form. Bond will compete but Wests have too much to play for and too much attacking fire power at home.

I’m respecting Norths potential but cannot go past Sunnybank at home. It’s the water. It’s the bank. It’s a green and white win.

UQ appear to be on a roll. Well sort of. They’ve won well at their last 2 home starts and have some big names like Grealy back. But I wouldn’t underestimate a very fired up GPS who have their best playmaker back. UQ don’t like it too tough. I think GPS in a grind if they get their kicking tactics away from Mac on song.

The final game in round 12 is the top of the table clash with Souths hosting Brothers. Vest is back in the magpie pack and the butcher stripes have shuffled their backline. No HMP for Souths and he was the director last week. I am tipping Brothers because they are a head above the rest of the competition at present. But won’t be easy.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking at team lists for qpr this week and need to ask where:

Jon Bryant,
JOC (James O'Connor),
Tim Ryan,
Creighton,
Campbell,
Werchon,
Uru,

Did any of these boys get surgery in Super Rugby offseason? I know there was chatter Creighton is off to Japan.

rapt

Stan Wickham (3)
Didn’t he just.

Heres my tips
Wests v Bond - Wests edging a close one

Sunnybank v Norths - I’m backing the sky blue in this one

UQ v GPS - tinted glasses would say GPS, i’m gonna go left field and say draw.

Souths v Brothers - Souths with an upset win, although Brothers look too strong this year.

PJRugby

Frank Row (1)
With the international selections what clubs suffer the most for players not available due to commitments? Seems like UQ and Brothers have had a fair amount of players picked for wallabies and island nations

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Looking at team lists for qpr this week and need to ask where:

Jon Bryant,
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor),
Tim Ryan,
Creighton,
Campbell,
Werchon,
Uru,

Did any of these boys get surgery in Super Rugby offseason? I know there was chatter Creighton is off to Japan.
Training for Wales game? Vacation leave? Bali? Japan?

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Solid win Norths on the back of a dominant first 50, just hung on in the end, Dragons were steaming home. Both teams don’t quite execute as a top team would but play with plenty of heart. Good game to watch.

Scrumsrule

Frank Row (1)
Yeah good comment. I thought north’s made a lot of unnecessary subs, their pack was on top and working well together and the changes let us get our tails up and killed all their momentum, I think a few minutes more and we win, but we needed to get it done in the 80 and we couldnt.

FTF

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree. Norths had the momentum and made dumb substitutions, nearly cost them the game. Whilst Dan Ritchie is a reasonably good coach he needs to stop picking the blokes he coached at colts level. Every coach has their favorites however Ritchie takes it to the next level. There is a big jump from colts to grades and tbh some of those players who stood out in colts just aren’t up to Prem (or even reserve grade) grade.

Last edited:

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
Could be simultaneously true that Norths colts develop more because they get greater Prem exposure but the actual quality of Prem grade suffers for having so many colts in it.

Don't have a dog in the fight or an actual insight to offer, but they aren't mutually exclusive possibilities.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
that’s an unfair rule on principle considering Saturday grades is a totally different comp to Normanby Cup.

you can’t take away Friday night footy and expect the players who want their weekends to suddenly step up at 930am when a lot of Friday night footy players are working or too hungover to even entertain the thought of a Saturday morning fill in.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hence why I asked the question. Given Friday night is technically a QSRU competition - that rule might to apply. It also isn't probably fair that a QSRU Club with 1 team would have to turn up and play guys on a Friday night who are then running on for 3rd grade on a Saturday. But not sure how you stop that.

Sir Charles

Fred Wood (13)
Brothers v Souths was an odd game, the season maybe over for Alofa Alofa pending how long he gets suspended - Souths forwards dominated but failed to convert it into points, Brothers bench depth got them over the line.

Last edited:

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
Could be simultaneously true that Norths colts develop more because they get greater Prem exposure but the actual quality of Prem grade suffers for having so many colts in it.

Don't have a dog in the fight or an actual insight to offer, but they aren't mutually exclusive possibilities.
Over the years Norths Colts have been more frequently included in Prems as subs as the season progresses and this has been very successful.

Norths have now had 2 wins in Prems when people were widely touting they would remain winless, I think they have another 2 ahead of them, we have heard it for quite a few years but they are a young team with lots of heart hopefully finish season well building for next year.

They have had some great new players arrive in last month that have made a huge difference.

They have some quality backs in 2nd grade but the club is really lacking in front row stocks currently after losing 3key front rowers in one half earlier in the year.

I reckon they bat well above their roster.