• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

oldrugbytragic

Frank Row (1)
I think each issue has to be dealt with for what it is. The incident from the weekend had nothing to do with alcohol or with the "Glue Factory". Whilst I am not a GPS supporter, I also acknowledge the atmosphere at their home games being one that I think is part of the fabric of QPR. I have heard some very entertaining chants coming from home supporters from most clubs except for probably Norths and Sunnybank. These are also the clubs most would note have little to no atmosphere at all.

At times it is taken too far but those incidents are thankfully few and far between and should be dealt with swiftly by the club's leadership groups. Racial, sexist and referee abuse should not be tolerated in any way but lets not sanitize our club footy like everything else in life. I think its also up to leaders within clubs to pull up blokes doing the wrong thing.

JRugby2

Herbert Moran (7)
how does cancelling a liquor license prevent what happened?

granted I have not seen the incident but pushing someone hand away in a hand shake scenario is not assault and if anyone was to pursue that charge is wasting the courts/tribunal time.

it is however being a bad sport.
it definitely wasn't a handshake - the touchie is clearly extending his arm to deflect the bloke away from himself and the referee while he's being approached with hostility.

It's definitely on a minor end of the spectrum - but how many minor incidents do we have to have before something meaningful is done. Pretty sure refs are leaving and soon enough we'll have mum and dad refereeing premier grade if we don't do something to address behaviour

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
I think each issue has to be dealt with for what it is. The incident from the weekend had nothing to do with alcohol or with the "Glue Factory". Whilst I am not a GPS supporter, I also acknowledge the atmosphere at their home games being one that I think is part of the fabric of QPR. I have heard some very entertaining chants coming from home supporters from most clubs except for probably Norths and Sunnybank. These are also the clubs most would note have little to no atmosphere at all.

At times it is taken too far but those incidents are thankfully few and far between and should be dealt with swiftly by the club's leadership groups. Racial, sexist and referee abuse should not be tolerated in any way but lets not sanitize our club footy like everything else in life. I think its also up to leaders within clubs to pull up blokes doing the wrong thing.
Appreciate your comment but in my belief way off the mark. Norths home games have a great family atmosphere - players mainly dressed in club kit and show the mettle of a club that lose a lot of games but love the battle of the game we all love - let’s face it we are all passionate forum supporters.

Bank can be vocal and brutal - no different to life down there but they do have soul from a lot of great families and cultures.

truthfully I appreciate club rugby more than super rugby - I think a lot of us do.

C’mon GPS your a great club, clean the trouble makers out or up and make yourself great again - right now you’re at an all time low bringing great people, players and club stalwarts down.

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
We all agree bigotry, abuse, or going after the ref should be unacceptable.

But it's a fine line to walk between being completely family friendly and maintaining atmosphere. If you turn it into Disneyland, then the 50+ colts and lower grades players who would ordinarily be sinking beers on the sideline for prems will probably go home instead.

Every bloke I know including myself loves playing in front of a hostile crowd, especially when the chat is funny enough that you're struggling not to smile.

But there is a line and you need a culture that's good enough to self-police at any club.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Move the glue factory 5m back from the sideline and you’d probably see a significant decrease on this player + supporter scuffles.

No controversies ever happen out at university because their force field/protective barrier for bad behaviour is the athletics track that protects players from spectators

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
Move the glue factory 5m back from the sideline and you’d probably see a significant decrease on this player + supporter scuffles.

No controversies ever happen out at university because their force field/protective barrier for bad behaviour is the athletics track that protects players from spectators
The main uni field is also an incredibly sterile place to play. So it goes both ways.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)

No controversies but also no atmosphere.

JRugby2

Herbert Moran (7)
No controversies but also no atmosphere.
If you can't create an atmosphere without controversies or abusing people then I don't think the distance the field is from the crowd is the biggest problem you need to solve.

Last edited:

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
If you can't create an atmosphere without controversies or abusing people then I don't think the distance the field is from the crowd is the biggest problem you need to solve.
im more talking about the fact that the stands are so far back that you cant really feel the atmosphere compared to when they are close.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
So has anything happened this week with the GPS coach in terms of sanction etc? or it is yet again another behavioural indiscretion swept under the carpet?

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
Assistant referee in question appointed to referee UQ v GPS this week.

Talk about throwing someone from the pan into the fire!
That feels like it has the potential to be needlessly controversial. Regardless of what happens with that GPS coach, they should swap the referees around.