• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
Bad form GPS in the last couple of weeks, a Colts 1 referee called a game 5-10 minutes early after repeated abuse when they played against brothers I believe.
You would have thought the club would have put everyone on notice after that.
Agreed GPS overtaken Brothers for arrogant club dishonours- been regular over last few years and for mine not a culture my favourite rugby stalwart Herby would like to see but they have a lot of young over priveledged members drawing them down

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
there was super rugby players on weekend. Norths, Easts and wests most notable where I saw players with super rugby caps under their belt for 2024 turning out.

what’s the quota of super rugby games to hit the mandated rest period by RUPA
None I believe - but it will impact 2nd half of season - Poorer clubs should be assigned more - JTA was huge for Norths morale but their Colts reserves made a huge impact

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agreed GPS overtaken Brothers for arrogant club dishonours- been regular over last few years and for mine not a culture my favourite rugby stalwart Herby would like to see but they have a lot of young over priveledged members drawing them down

I think a lot of GPS supporters would unfortunately agree with you. We all got sent a code of conduct letter and note from the club a few weeks back after the Brothers incident and the dialogue since that with supporters is something needs to change. There were a few supporter v supporter incidents the same day which aren't even public and also concerning.

The good news is that a lot of people who were involved with the club and playing during the 2000s are back down and getting involved with their own kids teams and wanting to be more involved in coaching and generally assisting with the club, which should have long term benefits.

FTF

Stan Wickham (3)
Not very classy from that GPS supporter giving the touchie a little shove at the end of the game against Souths. No one thinks you're hard for doing that.
Again GPS supporters carrying on like clowns. It was only a couple of weeks back that the colts 1 game between GPS & brothers was called early due to poor crowd behaviour. The QRU needs to step in and deal with this quickly.

Watchingrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Again GPS supporters carrying on like clowns. It was only a couple of weeks back that the colts 1 game between GPS & brothers was called early due to poor crowd behaviour. The QRU needs to step in and deal with this quickly.
Simple fix - cancel their liquor license - watch the behaviour change - not sure why it hasn’t been already

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Simple fix - cancel their liquor license - watch the behaviour change - not sure why it hasn’t been already

that’s a bit extreme.

there’s been some issues totally unrelated to alcohol like the minor one this past weekend with the coach/referee.

it’s up to the board down at gps to instill a sense of responsibility and have each player/supporter look out for one another when one is being a knucklehead.

Watchingrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
that’s a bit extreme.

there’s been some issues totally unrelated to alcohol like the minor one this past weekend with the coach/referee.

it’s up to the board down at gps to instill a sense of responsibility and have each player/supporter look out for one another when one is being a knucklehead.
”minor one this past weekend with the coach/referee” - sorry must have been watching another game!

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
”minor one this past weekend with the coach/referee” - sorry must have been watching another game!

how does cancelling a liquor license prevent what happened?

granted I have not seen the incident but pushing someone hand away in a hand shake scenario is not assault and if anyone was to pursue that charge is wasting the courts/tribunal time.

it is however being a bad sport.

PPRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
that’s a bit extreme.

I agree that the liquor suspension is extreme and unlikely, but a warning & suspended penalty might be a good deterrent.

As for the “minor” referee issue. It might be in your eyes, but what message does that send to his players, supporters & others?
Treatment of referees has been deteriorating for some time & I believe Ox from UQ got 4 weeks for an incident a few years back.

Our referees should be protected from this & a clear message should be sent.

XFactor

Frank Nicholson (4)
Each club goes through these periods where certain sections of their supporters need to be pulled into line. The Glue Factory has been ordinary for the last couple of years. Identity the problem children and suspend them for a while. Next month it will be another club.

Watchingrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree that the liquor suspension is extreme and unlikely, but a warning & suspended penalty might be a good deterrent.

As for the “minor” referee issue. It might be in your eyes, but what message does that send to his players, supporters & others?
Treatment of referees has been deteriorating for some time & I believe Ox from UQ got 4 weeks for an incident a few years back.

I can assure you i dont see this as a ‘minor’ issue - the GPS coach (and we all know who he is) needs to be held to account for his actions

Watchingrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
how does cancelling a liquor license prevent what happened?

granted I have not seen the incident but pushing someone hand away in a hand shake scenario is not assault and if anyone was to pursue that charge is wasting the courts/tribunal time.

it is however being a bad sport.
didn’t say it would have prevented the coaches behaviour rather the behaviour of their “supporters”

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Part of the issue at GPS is they've lost a fair chunk of the long term players who played Prems, then reggies and then run around in lower grades. I think you'll find the average age of the GPS grades team is quite young compared to prior years.

It's the older heads who have pulled the junior burgers into line at the glue factory or at very least provided leadership. I am honestly not trying to knock the current crop of senior players but there doesn't seem to be that same level of maturity as in previous years.

I think it is noticeable with the results on the field as well to an extent. GPS went through a very strong period from 2000 - 2020ish where they'd pickup at least at handful of premierships every year from reggies down to 6ths. Lots of those teams were anchored by the Fergusons, Frisbys, Slades, Kites and a few other core contributing groups of senior players. Those guys for the most part have all stopped playing.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, some of this negative press has created a lot of positives now with a number of respected club players getting more involved starting at the juniors with their kids and wanting to give back to the club.

rapt

Stan Wickham (3)

I’m related to someone who got a suspension when managing a grades side, this person can be a bit passionate and vocal, they yelled at the ref to get control of the game, i do believe there was match video of multiple foul play incidents missed resulting in game ending injuries which was what led to that comment.

Long story short, the ref told him I don’t have to talk to you, which he responded “yes you do when you sign the book”…. copped a 2/3 week ban.

Unrelated to that one, at Norths last year, a lower grades player was stood down from playing for multiple weeks (even while numbers were’nt the best) due to making a comment toward an AR during 1st Grade game (which was his ref earlier in the day). Was made to write an apology letter and it was club enforced sit down not qru.