• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

JRugby2

Bill Watson (15)
That's pretty standard operating procedure. Wouldn't be surprised if you see most clubs doing the same in the next month.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes Wests had another successful year but the club dynamic is shifting now. No rebels players flying in, a couple of guys moving overseas and a coaching and management team who are no doubt themselves feeling a bit burnt out and disappointed after some big seasons.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some fresh faces there in 2025 and it probably isn't a bad thing.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
i think one thing we can all agree on is Connor Anderson being the biggest flog we have seen in a while.

Louis Werchon will be right. just needs a bit of guidence to calm the hot head. Still a decent player, just not his best performance on the day

one thing no one is talking about though. is wests having a full clean out of coaches? i think wests culture has taken a bit of a shift. would be good to see them back to being good blokes who you would have a beer with after the game
The Westside gang sign they do now is so silly.

Gentlemen most of you went to private schools and you play rugby union in Australia, not 1980s Compton.

SamsSon

Frank Row (1)
It is a bit sad to hear that players aren't sharing drinks and a chat after games - from what I have heard, that is case with various clubs. Also really surprised and concerning to hear rumours that some of the more senior Crosby Rd playing squad is still having a bit of a carry-on with their various opponents (i.e. blokes they should be having beers with!) more than a week after winning?

Something is seriously amiss in the QPR culture if these stories are true, so everyone should just take a breath, reflect on a season that had some great rugby and move on to 2025 when the season re-ignites.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
This sounds Boomerish of me, but I wonder how much social media has impacted what you’re talking about above.

So much online commenting on players, highlight videos, trash talking online etc.

I know a lot of clubs have private message groups setup each year for their teams, creates a bit of us vs them mentality with all the shit talking.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)
The argument could be made that social media has just brought things into the public eye that used to be kept inside the shed and forgotten about after a week.

But I do think you're right.

Everyone wants to knock down the guy with a highlight video a notch. Especially when all the boys in the groupchat are fired up over it and egging you on. Way more room for misinterpretation of tone and intention online as well.

Sometimes it is deserved though. One team we played in grades this year put up a highlight reel portraying the game as a big win for them when we smashed them by 20+. You look ridiculous when you're disingenuous in your content output and carrying on online about how good you are.

Considering where we are compared to league, more content is better than less content to help grow the game. But it does have its negative side effects.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Am already hearing fairly strong whispers that Kiss will be brought into the Wallabies coaching frame after Super Rugby next year and Pup McCormack potentially shifting to a role with the Reds.

I think Pup has some pretty heavy hitters in his corner both here in QLD and in RA as we all know the Randwick gig is pretty much the gateway into professional coaching here in Oz.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Did you hear any detail on the positions there? I assume that would McCormack in an assistant role with someone like Zane Hilton stepping into the head coach space, not just McCormack straight into head coach. Or possibly Les Kiss staying on as head coach but with McCormack coming in to add more support staff while Les has dual roles.

PJRugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Be interesting to see what coaches are around next year.
Brothers- pup would be there
Wests- Elwee? Could be going
UQ- Berrange would be there
Souths- Garrick? Also heard mixed reviews about what’s happening
GPS- Sio could be going?
Bond- Was Heeno a one year thing or re commited
Norths- don’t see any reason Ritchie would leave
Easts- Craig, always a difficult one but some growing pains give him another chance to finish top 6
Sunnybank- Roiri, don’t really know what would happen but Sunnybank have a big task rebuilding

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
It’s probably worth pointing out at super rugby level that Queensland supply the majority of referees. Multiple times when the force or rebels play the reds it’s usually Murphy or Berry on the whistle.

so until other clubs/Super Rugby franchises lift their game and get retired players into the refereeing ranks your going to be left with these situations where a strong club like brothers or the reds are getting former players of their club as the appointed referee.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Did you hear any detail on the positions there? I assume that would McCormack in an assistant role...

No clue on roles, but the powers that be seem pretty keen to bring McCormack up the ranks. Can’t blame them. Aussie coaching options are slim. We cheer the return of blokes like McKellar who really haven’t moved the needle in terms of coaching or development in the last decade.