• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
image.png

But wet at norths

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Context is everything here. No QC (Quade Cooper), McIntyre playing terrible and your not even given a chance? C'mon man.
As I said in the rest of my post it would of been great for the Reds to give him more of a go and I think he was on a one year deal from memory so I get it. But pulling the pin 6 months into your first deal because haven't got the time you think you deserve probably won't get the other super teams banging on your door.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Context is everything here. No QC (Quade Cooper), McIntyre playing terrible and your not even given a chance? C'mon man.

Whilst I haven't seen much of Greene, for mine McIntyre is the most suitable at this stage. He plays simple rugby, willing to take the ball to the line and is a reasonable kicker. That's why he is in that position.

QC (Quade Cooper) is the least desirable. If Greene does not have the patience then he has to be let go irrespective of his ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Todd Dammers on Twitter last night congratulating Uni coaches:

"ScottA_ good win today mate...only a very secure side wins that one. I've watched ur boys 4 weeks straight & they r a pleasure to watch."

Understand Uni scored in the last minute and their kicker made the pressure conversion from out wide to steal the victory from Bond 19-18.

Helps GPS that Bond only picked up one point rather than four.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
As I said in the rest of my post it would of been great for the Reds to give him more of a go and I think he was on a one year deal from memory so I get it. But pulling the pin 6 months into your first deal because haven't got the time you think you deserve probably won't get the other super teams banging on your door.

Not sure what angle your on but it's common sense really. If your on a 1 year contract and no extension is on the table (as far as I know), would you not take a substantially higher paid opportunity overseas? Or get a day job and 'have a crack' here again?

Japan has a Super rugby team now. There are other pathways to the top. It's not a long term deal, I'm sure he will back in Australia at some point, hopefully with more professional experience and more to offer.

If your on to it you would know Mack Mason is being groomed as the Reds future flyhalf, the red carpet has been rolled out in that direction. If Quade comes back, there would also be no potential gametime next year (McIntyre to the bench). What would you do?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Its going to be a big night at Ballymore tomorrow, with two Prem Grade games scheduled. Could be a bit on the chilly side though, sitting in the old stand with a gale blowing through.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not sure what angle your on but it's common sense really.

Opposed to the Reds? Who have had RG running the ship last 3 years? Late cheap shot on RG I know, but please, the Reds hasn't been the best setup, and these guys arn't getting Super Rugby gametime. Top League Japan or club rugby/NRC?

No angle at all. My posts where in reply to your reference that the reds being a basket case under RG and getting no game time was the reason he and other young talent were leaving.
I merely stated (or tried to anyway) that not getting enough game time 6 months into your first professional environment probably shouldn’t be the driving force for you walking out on your contract half way through the season.

No doubt playing half a game a week in the Top league in Japan will give him the game time he requires to get to the next level. In all honesty I hope it does because I have watched Sam play club rugby since his time at brothers and I think he is a fantastic talent.

Anyway onto tonight...

Brothers v Sunnybank.
Massive game for Sunnybank with Jeeps and Bond nipping at their heels

phatmik

Herbert Moran (7)
Want to stem the flow of players leaving.... QRU / ARU put in a second team in Qld. Before we start talking how do we afford it etc. Quite simply there is such a wealth of talent coming through the ranks, the programs are working, plus the respective Super franchises are also looking at league talent, there are only so many seats on the bus.
A second team in Qld (at all levels U20 to Super, 7's programs ?? ) ran as a seperate identity would work. Run it out of Bond if need be as the infrastructure is existing, quality and accessible plus a stadium that might be shared with the Titans. Anyways just my thoughts.

I'll be shivering watching Souths and Jeeps play . May have to bring the hip flask

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Headed over the bridge to watch Bank vs Bros tonight. High scoring game with Sunnybank winning 33-29. Bros had a scrum feed on fulltime 5m out from Sunnybank's line but unfortunately were penalised. Sunnybank aren't done yet. They're very good on the right day.

Brothers vs GPS on Saturday. It's Old Boys day at the club.
Sunnybank vs Bond should be 'game of the round'. It's a must win for Breakers of old.
Wests vs University and Easts vs Norths.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Headed over the bridge to watch Bank vs Bros tonight. High scoring game with Sunnybank winning 33-29. Bros had a scrum feed on fulltime 5m out from Sunnybank's line but unfortunately were penalised. Sunnybank aren't done yet. They're very good on the right day.

Brothers vs GPS on Saturday. It's Old Boys day at the club.
Sunnybank vs Bond should be 'game of the round'. It's a must win for Breakers of old.
Wests vs University and Easts vs Norths.

Entertaining game tonight. Brothers average at best, hopeless ball control. too many mistakes behind the advantage line. Junior (especially) and Strahan (?spelling) very good for the Bank. Brothers completely dominated scrum time for the whole game bar the last scrum in the 81st minute apparently. I have 6 year olds that know more about scrum time than tonights ref! Fairly certain Brothers are yet to win one with that ref. Not sure if a bias or just bloody hopeless. Happy to hear a why for that last scrum but please watch every other scrum to give it proper context. Anyway in spite of my winge the ref copped a massive post game spray from someone in the Bank crowd.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No, the Bank #3 angled in and dropped which caused Postal #1 to walk around. Penalty should have been to Brothers. Anyway, the games over, well done to the Bank.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
No, the Bank #3 angled in and dropped which caused Postal #1 to walk around. Penalty should have been to Brothers. Anyway, the games over, well done to the Bank.

It was a 50/50 call and the ref went with Sunnybank. Brothers LHP angle was definitely in but so to Sunnybank THP. The Brothers THP side was actually moving forward when the scrum went down. The ref determined who went in first and went against the Brothers LHP. Can't imagine how much more dominate Brothers will get with Tongan Thor returns next week.

They will be down for numbers though, Hennaway and Postale both second rowers went down injured so to the Prem reserve lock who came on. They finished with two back rowers in at lock and the reserve hooker on the flank.

Filth, that Prem reserve 9&10 are really good. They absolutely put a number on the Bank last night. Seem to have a bit more control than the combo in Prem Grade. Do you see them pushing there way in?

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Want to stem the flow of players leaving.. QRU / ARU put in a second team in Qld. Before we start talking how do we afford it etc. Quite simply there is such a wealth of talent coming through the ranks, the programs are working, plus the respective Super franchises are also looking at league talent, there are only so many seats on the bus.
A second team in Qld (at all levels U20 to Super, 7's programs ?? ) ran as a seperate identity would work. Run it out of Bond if need be as the infrastructure is existing, quality and accessible plus a stadium that might be shared with the Titans. Anyways just my thoughts.

I'll be shivering watching Souths and Jeeps play . May have to bring the hip flask

Mate I don't know about playing out of the Gold Coast - it's a graveyard for professional sporting teams Giants RL, Soccer, Bne Bears AFL, NBL team, etc.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Stefano Hunt and Angus Fowler are the players you're referring to, Intruder.

Both have (or currently) been tied up with Super Rugby franchises.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
I got to see the final few minutes of Sunnybank v Brothers tonight.

What absolute bollocks to suggest it was Sunnybank at fault in that final scrum. Just look at the reset before that final decision. Brothers loosehead had only one intention in both scrums - to bore in.

Referee 100% correct.

This from the point of view of someone who was hoping Sunnybank would lose or at least get held to a draw to help GPS!

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Watched a bit of that game. I thought Brothers 10, James was outstanding. I fear for his life when he runs into contact (esp. against some of the Sunnybank boys) but he seems to have that natural football talent to find holes that aren't there.

Does anyone know if anything further happened with the Sunnybank prop who swung the massive haymaker with 10 to go? Thought a yellow was generous for an unprovoked attack, although i'm not sure what the lawbook says for attempting a tackle with a fist to the head.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a few big names back in clubland this weekend:

Brothers v GPS
Kick-off: 3:20PM

Two of the oldest clubs face off in the Round 13 BLK Queensland Premier Rugby Game of the Roundthis Saturday, when Brothers welcome GPS to Crosby Park. With wins over Souths and Sunnybank in recent weeks, GPS should be confident of knocking off another top four placed side. Brothers will look to tidy up their attack after they made too many handling errors in their loss to Sunnybank on Tuesdaynight. When GPS & Brothers met at Yoku Road back in Round 4, the Gallopers held onto a 29-27 victory when Brothers missed an opportunity to level the scores after the final whistle.

Brothers: Francois Postale, Matt Mafi, Sam Talakai, Dave Finlay-Heneway, Ted Postal, Criff Tupou, Charles Freney, Luke Beauchamp, Sam Grasso, Patrick James, Will Shipperly, Nathanuel Gendle, Elih Baillie, Mitch Felsman, Pierce Fitzgerald

Coach: Carl Marshall

GPS: Nick Sykes, Feleti Kaitu’u, Freddy Burke, Dan Gorman, Radike Samo, Michael Richards, Waita Setu, Lagi Setu, Nigel Genia, Somi Pulu, Rika Batibasaga, Steve Hunt James Herbert, Chris Kuridrani, Dan Earley

Coach: Todd Dammers

Bond University v Sunnybank

Round 13 is a particularly important fixture for both Sunnybank and Bond University. The Gold Coast side have won three of their last four matches, with a 19-18 loss to the Red Heavies their only hiccup. Sitting six points behind their opposition this weekend, Bond University will be desperate to knock off Sunnybank. After suffering three tough losses, the Dragons regained momentum with a hard-fought 33-29 victory over Brothers on Tuesday night. If they can secure another victory against Bond, they could move into third place, with the currently third-placed Magpies handed the Round 13 bye.

Bond University: Sam Clifton, Nick Turner, Oisin Hernan, Caderyn Neville, Rubin Fuimaono, Tai Ford, Callum McDonald, Josh Fuimaono, Vitori Buatava, Scott Daruda, Gus Qasevakatini, Joel Rapana, Brad Jones, Waylen Skipps, Mitch Third

Coach: Sean Hedger

Sunnybank: Feao Fotuaika, Thomas Mellor, Tereina McLean, Brendan Mitchell, Colin Cooper, Tuaina Tualima, Chazz Mahina, Jeffrey Faamausili, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Jake Strachan, Ryan Menzies, Henry Taefu, Fred Dorrough, Conrad Quick, Junior Laloifi

Coach: Rob Seib

Norths v Easts

Norths returned to winning ways on Wednesday night, with a one-point victory over Wests at Ballymore. The Eagles secured the grueling 14-13 win, when full back Jack Tuttle slotted a penalty goal after the final whistle. This weekend they will welcome an Easts unit who are fresh off the bye, to Hugh Courtney Oval. The Tigers had a disappointing start to their 2016 campaign but have shown promising signs in recent weeks. Before the bye, Easts ran in five tries on their way to a 39-33 victory over Wests.

Norths: Garrath Ryan, Bart Ritchie, Kieran Fitzgibbon, Connor Anderson, Faausu Afiafi, Jayden Rodwell, Enzo Mutoti, Apisai Naiyabo, Nick Chapman, Michael Burke, Connor Chittenden, Duncan Paia’aua, Logan Tibbetts, Manasa Tuasuva, Jack Tuttle

Coach: Nick Fogarty

Easts: AJ Campbell, Andrew Ready, Kirwan Sanday, Jimmy Moore, Tyrell Barker, Max Allen, Michael Gunn, Tom Milosevic, Billy Thompson, Matt Brandon, Elliot Hagen, Matt Gordon, Toby White, Max Quigley, Andrew Krelle

Coach: Anthony Connellan

University of Queensland v Wests

Sitting at opposite ends of the table, Wests are faced with the tough task of upsetting University of Queensland at St. Lucia. They’ve only secured one victory in 2016 but Wests will be seething after they fell just short against Norths in Round 12. On the other hand, University have only lost one match in 2016 and should be confident they can extend their win streak to 11. Bond held the Red Heavies to 19 points in Round 12. It was the first time the Students have scored less than 20 points since Round 2.

University of Queensland: Pat Fepuleai, Tonga Ma’afu, Sef Fa’agase, Pat Morrey, Phil Potgeiter, Conor Mitchell, Jack de Guingand, Jack Cornelsen, Moses Sorovi, Alex Horan, Tom Pincus, Nathan Russell, Josh Birch, Clifton Setu, Tom Banks

Coach: Mick Heenan

Wests: Jono Danaher, Cody Blackhurst, Bronson Tauakipulu, Jeremiah Lynch, Rob Rutledge, Dean Cunningham, Joel Brown, Loveni Enari, Liam Dillon, Alec Jones, Reece Cleeton, Dan Faumuina, Tyrone Lefau, Morgan Gasman, Byron Hutchinson

Coach: Pat Byron

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wests still alive in the battle of avoiding the wooden spoon after Easts went down to Norths.

Norths 2 one point wins in 4 days v Wests & Easts. Well done to the Eagles.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
An entertaining game yesterday between Brothers and Jeeps. Brothers managed to keep Jeeps out until the 85th minute when they scored under the sticks. Brothers had a few earlier chances to close the game out but handling errors proved costly.

Brothers scrum rolled Gps, which was expected. Sam Talakai, Matt Mafi, Paddy James and Charlie Freney were well and truly the best on the park for Brothers. Talakai in particular. His scrummaging is up there with some of the best.

For GPS, Chris Kurindrani, one of the Herberts and one of the Setus, plus the #3 were crucial to the Gallopers win. Todd Dammers is capable of making Gps into a side that could make the finals. He has done well so far.

Brothers managed to beat GPS in every other grade by some reports. Not a bad day for the Brethren.

Big match next week v Souths. Hopefully we can get back into the winners circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.