• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

warhorse

Bill Watson (15)
Also interesting is some controversy over potentially derogatory and possibly biased comments made against Souths by refereeing officials at halftime in Saturday's match v Sunnybank. Officials forgot that they were still wired up and mic was open. Comments were broadcast to all who were watching live stream. Totally unacceptable. I believe Souths have received an official apology. Lucky that they won the game.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting that Ben Matwijow is listed as playing for Northern Suburbs in the Shute Shield this weekend

http://www.rugbynews.net.au/intrust-shute-shield-round-12-team-lists/

Ben Matwijou, JJ Taulagi & Sam Greene have all been released by the Reds. Matwijou will head to the ITM Cup to play for Taranaki and both Greene and Taulagi will head to Japan. Very poor to see those players lost before the season is done.

In more positive news a few Reds players back for premier clubs, although not named Tongan Thor expected to back from injury this weekend or next.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What ever happened to JJT - was it injury?

As for other former QPR popping up elsewhere - 2 former QPR players on the NRL Rookie show in Peter Lee(Snbk) and Elias Power(Nths/Easts).

Will be interesting to see how far they go.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think Bros can win the Premiership without Greene - not because they don't have other options @ 10 & 15 but Greene was their X factor.

T

TOCC

I dont understand young players heading to Japan, sure it has the money but is it really the right environment to excel your rugby union development?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
3 years and you can get a Japanese passport, which means you don't count towards overseas players on the field. As well, after three years your eligible to play test rugby. So for players that want to play test rugby Japan is a good destination as well as getting paid a at least 60 grand to sit on the bench.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
3 years and you can get a Japanese passport, which means you don't count towards overseas players on the field. As well, after three years your eligible to play test rugby. So for players that want to play test rugby Japan is a good destination as well as getting paid a at least 60 grand to sit on the bench.

I think that rule is going to change pretty damn quickly. I've heard out to 5 years.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
I think that rule is going to change pretty damn quickly. I've heard out to 5 years.
It'll be pretty interesting if that gets through the WR (World Rugby) Council. A few countries, especially a couple with added votes, could be pretty against it.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Also it'd be a bit odd that you could be a Japanese citizen, so therefore hold a Japanese passport and represent Japan at the Olympics, and not be able to represent Japan in Tests.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
I dont understand young players heading to Japan, sure it has the money but is it really the right environment to excel your rugby union development?

Opposed to the Reds? Who have had RG running the ship last 3 years? Late cheap shot on RG I know, but please, the Reds hasn't been the best setup, and these guys arn't getting Super Rugby gametime. Top League Japan or club rugby/NRC?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I can't believe Greene waited half a whole super season before throwing in the towel. I mean 2 seasons of good club rugby performances should of been more than enough to demand a starting spot in a super team. That 6 months in his first professional/elite environment should of had him pushing wallabies selection by now.

Sarcasm aside it was a little disappointing he never got a better chance at the Reds to see what he had

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
What ever happened to JJT - was it injury?

Yes injury. He had a bad injury in 2015 in I think the first competition game of the season, didn't come back until the NRC last year and was playing well for Qld Country then did an ACL I think - terrible luck. Nice guy, good with kids, but given the injury record I can understand the Reds deciding it is not worth the risk.

warhorse

Bill Watson (15)
JJT played in the finals series in 2015. He scored a try in the Preliminary Final v Souths.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes injury. He had a bad injury in 2015 in I think the first competition game of the season, didn't come back until the NRC last year and was playing well for Qld Country then did an ACL I think - terrible luck. Nice guy, good with kids, but given the injury record I can understand the Reds deciding it is not worth the risk.

Neilc - mate that means that we have lost some real X-Factor players from Qld Rugby over the last few years - you would have thought that one of the following would have been staring for the Reds by now: JJT, Greene, Placid, Toua, McMahon, UJ Sueteni but sadly they are all no longer a part of the Qld Rugby landscape.

Apart from Greene they all featured in the 2013 QPR finals and Greene was the competition leading point scorer that year in his first year out of school - that's when Greenie could play - he was playing for Wests back then!!!

JJT scorerd a great try for Uni in the PF against GPS that year and Placid score a good try in the 2013 GF.

The rugby pathways are global now with JJT & Greene off to Japan and UJ at Toulon.

I also heard the other day that Michael Stolberg (big lock who played for Easts) who has been in plying his rugby trade in NZ is also off to Japan.

I think there is a 3 year qualification to play Rugby for Japan so it could be that some of these guys or other players from around the globe will feature in the Japanese side at the 2019 RWC - that is clearly something that will be in the back of the mind for all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.