• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone who watched easts vs norths the other week. How did the scrums go? I believe the easts front row is virtually the qld A front row (parake, ready, sanday) and from reports I heard earlier in the season the norths front row was very young (2 colts and Maafu). Did easts dominate the scrums?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anyone who watched easts vs norths the other week. How did the scrums go? I believe the easts front row is virtually the qld A front row (parake, ready, sanday) and from reports I heard earlier in the season the norths front row was very young (2 colts and Maafu). Did easts dominate the scrums?
Yeah it was the first time the Easts scrum has actually looked strong all year, oddly enough that it was also Parraka's first game back......

He made a huge difference. Sanday and Ready are decent scrummagers, but Pettowa has an ability to dominate from the loosehead. Not that I'm a scrum expert, but he seems to have really good technique when looking for a strong push on his opponent. Having a lower centre of gravity probably plays a big part in that.

Long story short, Easts had the much stronger scrum.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yeah it was the first time the Easts scrum has actually looked strong all year, oddly enough that it was also Parraka's first game back..

He made a huge difference. Sanday and Ready are decent scrummagers, but Pettowa has an ability to dominate from the loosehead. Not that I'm a scrum expert, but he seems to have really good technique when looking for a strong push on his opponent. Having a lower centre of gravity probably plays a big part in that.

Long story short, Easts had the much stronger scrum.

Easts would have to go close to best front row in the comp probably closely followed by uni IMO

T

Tigers Tale

RH Note the Reds squad for NZ - below - includes JJ but not McDurling does that mean that McDurling will run out for Uni this Saturday?

St.George Queensland Reds team to play Hurricanes
1. Ben Daley
2. Saia Fainga’a
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C) (100th Queensland cap) #
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Beau Robinson
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Jamie-Jerry Taulagi #
12. Mike Harris #
13. Ben Tapuai (50th Queensland cap)
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Ben Lucas

16. James Hanson #
17. Greg Holmes
18. Jono Owen #
19. Ed O’Donoghue
20. Curtis Browning #
21. Nick Frisby
22. Anthony Fainga’a
23. Rod Davies #

*Albert Anae (prop/hooker) will also travel with the team for its two-match tour of New Zealand.

# University club

Thankfully Uni won't have the services of Mike Harris on Saturday - last year I think he kicked a penalty from about 55 out in the Bottomley draw.

Interesting that there are 7 University players in this squad and congrats to James Horwill on 100 Reds caps.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Should be a cracking game.
Dules will be playing
If paraka is in town the match up between him and sef at scrum time will be tantalizing. Especially since Paraka leap frogged sef in the peaking order at the reds. (Or so it seems to me from the outside)

Dules v enever
Deck/ Mullins v Thompson
Ready v wade
And the 13's

Will be other individual match ups to look out for

T

Tigers Tale

Joel Faulkner is injured but Matty Carroll and the veteran Andrew Krelle will be fine in the back three along with Jonny Wilder who is playing well this year as he always does.

Wilder is probably the most underrated winger in the comp, he won't have any issues handling Harry Parker!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Unfortunately I will have to agree with you, TT. Wilder is a good finisher. He will be tested up against Sitauti when Easts get a reality check in Round 7!

T

Tigers Tale

Filth as appealing as round 7 is - Easts have a bit to do before they can even think about Ladies Day at Crosby with Uni(H) tomorrow and then GPS(A).

Easts could be either going into that round 7 clash with their season on life support or looking to secure a Welsby Cup birth, such is the importance of this clash with Uni tomorrow.

Yes I am aware that Sitauti is a fair player.

Good luck in the Shaw-Pilecki clash, don't under estimate Wests because they have some point scoring ability and will pull off a big scalp sooner or later. Com'on Doggies!!

I will be interested to hear what reception Sam Greene gets tomorrow - I'd say he's glad the game is at Crosby rather than Sylvan Rd, but if a group of Wests faithful find a spot at the pokiest ground for spectators in the comp (!!!) then they could rattle young Greene.

I'd say that there will be plenty of willing forward runners running through the Greene channel tomorrow.

T

Tigers Tale

TT and T12, has Mansell turned up at Bottomley yet?
How did he go in the Stawell gift?

Unfortunately a major hamstring injury put an end to Mansell's Stawell Gift aspirations & may rule out a return for the tigers at least in the short term. We need Jonah, Toua & Turner back!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If it makes you feel any better, I tipped Easts, TT! I think Premier Grade is the only division where Easts have a decent chance at knocking off the Students!

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Predictions re the Dragons proved correct with a thumping victory over the Pies, GPS too strong for Norths, Brothers just over the Bulldogs and Uni too good for the Tigers

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Dragons showed a bit of aggression today. Made a big difference from previous weeks. They need to keep it up over coming weeks if they want to turn the season around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
29-13 at bottomley.
Uni scored 2 late tries to blow out the score and secure a bonus point.
Easts in it the whole way and defended their line for much of the second half with great distinction.
Easts only try came off a set piece drop ball by the uni 10 which was swooped on by Matty Brandon who ran 40 meters untouched (I think I was at the other end)

While the score was close (15-13 for most of the second half) I don't think it's the one eyed supporter in me saying that uni looked in control for most of the match

Jimmy Dalgilsh was deservedly awarded MOM. But a pretty good team effort all round.

For easts ready had some crucial turnovers, Mullins is very a smart player and in the same catagory as Brando (his kicking game really keep them in it). Patowa also looked sharp with ball in hand.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Uni were indeed in awesome form at David Wilson Field today. Especially their very impressive forward pack. Tons of skill there. Broke my Tiger's heart. Having said that, their #10, though a relatively small bloke, had a cracker of a game and will be a star of the future for sure. Unbelievable ability.

I have always made a personal point of NEVER blaming the ref for a loss ... EVER!

So I will not mention the weird and inconsistent refereeing that seemed to favour Uni being offside for most of the first half.

Anyway, well-deserved win to the students. If only Easts could've held on to some ball in their back line in that #@$?ken first half it could've been a very different story. Easts : too much dropped ball ... Uni : great team effort. They never stopped trying. They will cause much grief this year.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Tigers Tale I noticed Doubles Daly was at Bottomley again yesterday. Have the Tigers gained a new fan? Has Doubles finally seen the light?

Status
Not open for further replies.