• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think clubs will get their Reds left overs /Reds A players back this week but not the Under 20s.

That is good news for the Tigers as Ready, Paraka & Enever come back in for the Souths clash. That will see Randell, Kimmince & Moore back into the Prem Reserves.

The Tigers will be hoping to get better results in Reserve Grade in 2014.

UJ & Wilkin are still 5/6 weeks away.
I'd be moving Riley to the back row (8 maybe?) and keeping Moore.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Okay let's get a list of who we reckon will feed the two teams.

Easts: Parraka, Ready, Sanday, Enever, Gunn, Mullins, Brandon, White, Placid, Seuteni, Toua, Quirk, Turner

University: Owen, Hanson, McDuling, Browning, Buchanan, Gale, Taulagi, Davies, Harris, Faagese, Johnson

GPS: Kite, Frisby. Kerevi, Kuridrani,

Brothers: Beauchamp, Shipperely, Greene

Wests: O'Donoghue,Genia

Norths: Vuki

Souths: Robinson

Sunnybank: WTS Hooker (Mile has moved to Sydney), Ah Wong (apparently in good form on the wing), Taefu (I'd like to see him involved), Tapuai (Ben or Rex or both, Rex may be a little old these days), Shatz (hopefully with the Wallabies), Lucas (maybe in the country team, was born in Ipswich)

Others:
Feaunati and Tongia may be options as outside back, as could Laloifi. Lolo Fakaosilea is another.

Add those who you reckon, I'm sure I've forgotten plenty.

My issue with the teams selected is that there is no obvious pathway for players from club to NRC to Super to Wallaby. Surely a North/South split would have been better.

I will be interested in how many people get to games for the country team, hopefully I am proven wrong and they get good support.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My issue with the teams selected is that there is no obvious pathway for players from club to NRC to Super to Wallaby. Surely a North/South split would have been better.

I will be interested in how many people get to games for the country team, hopefully I am proven wrong and they get good support.

The latest article I read said the Qld Country team will be based and backed by Bond Uni. This sounds like the exact same failure as the ARC. South Brisbane supporters will have no geographical or branding connection with a team or with the players from thier clubs.

This looks to me to be happening because of what has been considered a strength of QLD rugby. The lack of disfunction, biggering and lobbying between and by Brisbane clubs.

Gold Coast cannot support a professional rugby team. They struggle to even produce a competitive Premier Rugby Team. I can't see one of the Bond Uni players being good enough for the NRC. So where the other 15 squad members outside of the Reds or returning Rebels and Force players come from will be very interesting. It's a long way to travel for training down the M1 in peak hour each eveing for training.

I would prefer a North Brisbane and South Brisbane split and tolerate a country team based in brisbane that takes Rugby on a road show of carnival weekends around the state supported by QLD reds development/promo people running clinics and fun games for kids with giveaways.

But a team based on the GC playing all or most home games there will be the same mistake made in the ARC.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I've just finish watching the Australian Club Championship on the dreaded 'Tiger TV' and I have to say it surprised me.

Easts really did take it to the Students. I thought the aggression and urgency was of particular note. I think #4 was exceptional with some top hits, #10 had a decent game and #13 was the best back.

However, I really must commend Sydney University (hope you reading this Bruce Ross), their defence and counter rucking was outstanding. They had stronger forwards than Easts which resulted in an demolishing scrum and relentless counter rucking and mauling. The back row were particularly strong. The backs were stable but not overly flamboyant. I can now see why (even with Sydney University's reserve grade side) they are head and shoulders above everyone else in Australian Club Rugby (except bruvers).

It was a good game to watch and the crowd seemed beyond 'vocal'. Probably full of drunk Easts nobodies from the 1980s whose best result was second last ahead of either Redcliffe or Teachers Norths. Finally after watching 80 minutes of non stop Parry niggle, I think it's safe to say I strongly sympathise with Jimmy Carter.

Note: Don't take this to heart, TT. It's just shit banter.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth "shxx" being the operative word.

All taken in good humour but despite the fact that the Easts scrum had its moments against Syd Uni I still think it can be the best pack in the comp once some of the new guys settle and with the return of Ready, Paraka, Enever & Gunn.

Happy to receive reasoned argument on why their club will better the Tigers, but I think that in addition to the above named that Sanday and Moore will have big seasons.

T

Tigers Tale

Sanday and Riley are likely to sit out the Souths game this weekend due to little injuries.

Brandon will play his 100th Premier Grade game this Saturday.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I've just finish watching the Australian Club Championship on the dreaded 'Tiger TV' and I have to say it surprised me.

Easts really did take it to the Students. I thought the aggression and urgency was of particular note. I think #4 was exceptional with some top hits, #10 had a decent game and #13 was the best back.

However, I really must commend Sydney University (hope you reading this Bruce Ross), their defence and counter rucking was outstanding. They had stronger forwards than Easts which resulted in an demolishing scrum ...

Shame because their scrums last year were strong - particularly in the finals

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Capture.JPG

T

Tigers Tale

TD/SX - looking at the points table 2013 - 8 wins was a pretty good season for Wests - I'd say if they could get 8 plus another couple in 2014 they'd be very happy.

Having said that I think the Doggies will probably finish ahead of Norths & Bond Uni in 2014. (I may have changed my tune from a couple of weeks ago.)

Looking at the Rugby Wrap from Round 1 looks like Bond did ok against GPS although they did score a late try which probably distorts the outcome.
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/

Good luck v Norths this week. I look forward to the trip to Sylvan Road for the tigers in round 3.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
TD/SX - looking at the points table 2013 - 8 wins was a pretty good season for Wests - I'd say if they could get 8 plus another couple in 2014 they'd be very happy.

Having said that I think the Doggies will probably finish ahead of Norths & Bond Uni in 2014. (I may have changed my tune from a couple of weeks ago.)

Looking at the Rugby Wrap from Round 1 looks like Bond did ok against GPS although they did score a late try which probably distorts the outcome.
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/

Good luck v Norths this week. I look forward to the trip to Sylvan Road for the tigers in round 3.

Thanks TT,

I think 8 wins would be good for dogs this year. Especially when you take into account that SC are no longer in the comp. That's an easy 10 points for every team now off the table.

I think the dogs will get the one up on both norths and bond.

Bond are a year or two off being a force i reckon, and norths' young team will be one for the future.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

However, I really must commend Sydney University (hope you reading this Bruce Ross), their defence and counter rucking was outstanding. They had stronger forwards than Easts which resulted in an demolishing scrum and relentless counter rucking and mauling. The back row were particularly strong. The backs were stable but not overly flamboyant. I can now see why (even with Sydney University's reserve grade side) they are head and shoulders above everyone else in Australian Club Rugby (except bruvers).

It was a good game to watch and the crowd seemed beyond 'vocal'. Probably full of drunk Easts nobodies from the 1980s whose best result was second last ahead of either Redcliffe or Teachers Norths. Finally after watching 80 minutes of non stop Parry niggle, I think it's safe to say I strongly sympathise with Jimmy Carter.

Spoke to a few Uni players and they really enjoyed the Easts atmosphere. Although it was rather 'hostile' as it was reported the Students really embraced it up North.

In the game they started off really well although an injury very early to regular #10 Stuart Dunbar and a sin bin offence to #5 Liam Winton threw a spanner in the works. However, they problem solved really well on the run, an area of the game that Uni pride themselves on. They excelled at the set piece and defended really well although need to improve in ball control areas and breakdown accuracy.

After watching the game also on 'Tiger TV' I thought the referee really struggled at times to control the ruck. Many more infringements should've been penalised. Also really liked the look of a few Tigers in 10,12&13 they were very solid in the midfield.

Best of luck to all QLD clubs this season.

T

Tigers Tale

Thanks TT,

I think 8 wins would be good for dogs this year. Especially when you take into account that SC are no longer in the comp. That's an easy 10 points for every team now off...

Good point TD that will mean you need about 55 points to make the semis. Which is 11/12 wins from 16 games.

T

Tigers Tale

Spoke to a few Uni players and they really enjoyed the Easts atmosphere. Although it was rather 'hostile' as it was reported the Students really embraced it up North.

Intruder it was a great day glad the Uni boys enjoyed the atmosphere I have never experienced such a great atmosphere at Bottomley or any other suburban ground before. Game was played hard and fast but in the right spirit. I think the Tigers really tested your lads and with a bit of luck we might even have pinched it at the death but not to be well done to Sydney Uni.

I must also applaud them on their humility on success, that clearly comes from experiencing continued success. Something every club tries to emulate. Good luck for the Shute Shield, and click on Tiger TV every now and then to see how we're travelling it would be great to take you on again in 2015!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Easts v Souths sounds like a beauty. Definitely deserves game of the round. I'm hoping Souths get the chocolates, sorry TT!

Are the Qld A players coming back this round?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Nigel Ah-Wong named at 6 for Sunnybank this weekend.

Also limited games at Uni due to the wet weather

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
same with Bond Uni I believe (as in limited games, not that Nigel Ah-Wong is playing at 6 for them).

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Jeez the Tigers pack looks strong with Enever, Ready and Parakka there.

Although Souths have a pretty strong pack as well, so should be a brutal battle up front.

The tigers defiantly have the edge in the backs though, with Mullins, Brandon, White and Faulkner (who looked very good last week).

Any news on why Vuki isn't playing for Norths? Did he get injured in the Reds A game? Also begs the question where Fa'agase (Uni), Sitauti (Brothers), Genia (Wests) are this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.