• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think wests must surely have some players out injured, as i noticed a few lads out of position and a few doggy regulars on the side line.

All in all i think as a first club hit out for the dogs a lot will be taken from it. I expect things to improve as team chemistry comes together.

Tigers back line looked strong yesterday

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The big issue with the Dragons this year will be who plays 10. Mitch Third started yesterday and while he didn't do anything spectacular also didn't look out of place. After half time when he was no longer there the outside back stopped getting the ball. Hopefully Third or McIntyer are available for most of the season.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Jets was that Brando Va'alu I saw running around out there or am I growing old and senile?

Rugby follower

Billy Sheehan (19)
Souths 36 v Norths 26 (from Norths facebook page). Typical trial game, lots of mistakes, plenty of enthusiasm, missed tackles and tries. Gut feeling says Souths left lots of their prems team at home however overall not a bad hit out for both sides. Kudos for the new Norths committee and rugby coaching group, main field looked fantastic and there seems to be a new buzz around the club. Long way to go however as a supporter fantastic to see the new direction the club has taken. Also great to a see a 15 minute cameo from Vuki, he made the Souths right winger looked downright pedistrian for his first try. What odds on him being top try scorer in Prems 3 years in a row. I imagine it would be pretty short.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I didn't see any of the trial games on the weekend, but I heard Bros have a good outside centre, I think he is new to club. And a few players from Sydney University rugby, I don't know if this is correct though. I'm sure Big Dog could give a more concise wrap-up, haha.

I heard Souths are looking dangerous as well. Especially in the forwards. I think Souths, Easts, University and GPS will be consistently strong through out the season. To be honest, I'm unsure about Bros and Sunnybank at this stage.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
A photo to bring a tear to any Bulldogs supporter's eye. Greene gone, Faagase gone, Setu gone. Wests look to be contenders for the spoon. Apart from Easts and GPS, I think Uni should be considered a threat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 323

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
You forgot Brett Gillespie gone (contract in Japan)

Doesn't matter how much money your team spend Stallion... GPS will always still fall short of the line like they always do.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets was that Brando Va'alu I saw running around out there or am I growing old and senile?

Not to sure Cat. He wasn't on in the first half and I didn't see him in the second but he could have been there. He's been around the club a bit.

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
You forgot Brett Gillespie gone (contract in Japan)

Doesn't matter how much money your team spend Stallion. GPS will always still fall short of the line like they always do.

Sense a little bit of Sylvan Rd bitterness coming through in that reply Southern lol Still better to consistently be in the top bracket (even before we were allegedly spending coin on players) than scraping the bottom of the barrel.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Sense a little bit of Sylvan Rd bitterness coming through in that reply Southern lol Still better to consistently be in the top bracket (even before we were allegedly spending coin on players) than scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah I am undecided if I am just #bitterbulldog or #biterbulldog (feeding off the trolls)

Eitherway your post at 130am in the morning only had 1 cause & that was to stir up the hornets nest by posting that image... Words would of been sufficient my friend.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Everyone is talking up Souths for this season. I can't see them making the 4 and think they will go backwards from 2013.

T

Tigers Tale

I think if you were setting a market for QPR14, I'd say it should be:

GPS, Uni on top line;
Followed by South;
Then on third line Sunnybank & Easts
Fourth line Brothers
Fifth line Norths, Gold Coast & Wests

What do sports betting agency's say?

It is a long season and injury tolls play such an important part in who performs best at finals time.

I don't think Easts would ever have been favourites to take out the Hospital Cup at a season's commencement.

And if you think this is just a ploy to give favouritism to GPS & Uni (i.e. not Easts) - well you are probably 100% correct!!

History - I don't believe that GPS made the finals in 1997 after having won the premiership in 1996. I think the final 4 in 1997 was Souths, Easts, Wests & anor. Will history repeat for GPS?? If so there will be a lot of questions asked because they seem to have left no stone unturned in order to go one better in 2014. If they don't go one better will the new CEO have some serious explaining to do??

T

Tigers Tale

Jets - interesting view on Souths. Love the fact that you are willing to swim against the tide.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Everyone is talking up Souths for this season. I can't see them making the 4 and think they will go backwards from 2013.

What gives you this impression Jets?
My deduction was based on the amount of u20 reps they have coupled with a winning reserve grade team from last year. However i did note that the reserve grade team was full of veterans probably coming to the end of their time.

EDIT: granted i have not seen much of them in pre season

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I agree with TD, the strength of their Reserve Grade team really makes me think they will be strong this year. Depth is key in the Premier Comp.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Not to sure Cat. He wasn't on in the first half and I didn't see him in the second but he could have been there. He's been around the club a bit.

Spoke to someone in the know- it was definitely him, but apparently he'll be heading back o/s later in the year. Not sure where. Hopefully Bank can get some value out of him while he's in the country.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I agree with TD, the strength of their Reserve Grade team really makes me think they will be strong this year. Depth is key in the Premier Comp.

My understanding is that quite a few of these guys have left. My mail could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I can't see them in the 4.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think the Easts supporters have raised a good point. Brothers in reserve grade were going great guns at the start of the season. Then due to injuries and players going up to Premier Grade they started to lose significantly by the end of the season. I recall them getting heavily beaten by GPS 50-0 then by Easts 40-10 or something along those lines. They will definitely have a better season this year with the depth from colts 13 coming through.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I
I think the Easts supporters have raised a good point. Brothers in reserve grade were going great guns at the start of the season. Then due to injuries and players going up to Premier Grade they started to lose significantly by the end of the season. I recall them getting heavily beaten by GPS 50-0 then by Easts 40-10 or something along those lines. They will definitely have a better season this year with the depth from colts 13 coming through.

Brothers would be disadvantage in those gamse by the rep contingent returning to club rugby at GPS/Easts just as much as injury.

Every club deals with injuries... Not every club has to deal with rep players returnin to clubland causing a trickle down effect where premier players make way for rep players by playing in reserve grade.

Brothers isn't well represented at Ballymore, who you got on the books? shipperley, Greeney & is it the hooker Coady?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bros have Shipperley in the Reds and Kimami Sitauti and Greene in Qld A.

I think Andrew Coady is still running around in Premier Grade and should achieve 200+ first grade games. Bit perplexing how he never got a go with Qld.

Any noticeable players at Wests, SX? Is peter uebergang still playing or has he gone to University?

Status
Not open for further replies.