• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Shane has a hamstring injury that has ruled him out of the game tonight. It's a real blow for him because he has the potential to be a Super level player.
Agree there Jets, Seiuli by all accounts has been playing well this season and been very consistent! Hopefully he is not out for too long but please allow him sufficient time to heal the injury so bringing back next week against the Breakers will be too soon. Give him that week off too - sorry we need all the help we can get.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think your safe Crusher. You dont wanna rush a hamstring because you cant test it until gameday & there is no certainty that its fully recovered.

As for Seiuli, He would have to be the best winger going around in Brisbane Club Rugby. I could easily see him landing a gig with a super franchise.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The rule with hamstrings is when it feels good have a couple more weeks off. I think he could be out for a couple of weeks but I'm not positive.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I think your safe Crusher. You dont wanna rush a hamstring because you cant test it until gameday & there is no certainty that its fully recovered.

As for Seiuli, He would have to be the best winger going around in Brisbane Club Rugby. I could easily see him landing a gig with a super franchise.
Ah there is a rugby god smiling on me Breakers. There are some gems playing in that Dragons backline mind you. Thought Rex Tapuai would have certainly secured something above Development by now. Always felt he was on of the most consistent midfielders going around in Prem footy!

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Wow, what a result! So who played well Tigerland?

Anyone got results from the other games?
Ah alas 24hrs after running on for the Reds the Brothers backline cut my Breakers to ribbons! Breakers as in previous games have been right in the contest up til halftime going in 27-20 down but Brothers were too clinical in the 2nd half easing away to a 46-27 win. Wests got up over Souths 25-17, Sunnybank 26-14 over Norths, not sure if I heard correctly but I thought the Filth's ground announcer mentioned Uni getting up 71-12???

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Yes that was the score line at Uni.

The try of the match though was a brilliant solo effort on full-time to the Stingrays player (O'Toole???). Also, the score doesn't reflect how good the Stingrays goal-line defence is- all Uni tries were scored from 5m or more out- trying to score while camped on their line was fruitless.

Game of the day was reserve grade where Logan showed why they deserve to be included in the Premier comp- especially given they can already field 3 grades & 2 (?) colts sides. I didn't get to watch the whole game, but they led for almost the entire game - Uni just got up on full-time (or close to).

Red slug

Stan Wickham (3)
Back to 3rd Tier this week and what a game to go to GPS home at Yoku Rd to East and wow what a step up in the plays and skills for the last games we have watched on the GC. Parking was terrible but suburban like going to Ballymore for Reds games in the distant past. Beautiful area, sun was shinning (always a bonus) and there was a great crowd of GPS and East supporters and vocal Yah! Great burgers with real salad beautiful.

My daughter and I had a bonus experience with meeting Raidke Samo before the game started as he was there to support his team. What a lovely man, quiet shy, but made time to talk to us about last nights game, the fundraising for Fiji and his Fro, of course. Got an awesome picture with my daughter.
Raidke and Kaitlyn2012photo.JPG

Met up Juan Cote and watched a great level of play the game was fast and the ball handling was clean, may have had something to do with the dry weather or just good ball skills. The score was 10-3 to GPS with a runaway try to GPS winger converter and penalty.
East converted penalty after GPS lazy play at the ruck and had their Blindside flanker sent off 3mins before half time for some niggle in the ruck (some ones bum too close to his head maybe?). The second half was the most exciting as the game picked up in intensity and the so did the contact and niggle. East came back with three converted penalties and a converted try in the second half. To make it more exciting GPS converted a penalty even up the scores after some off the ball kissing of fists and Mr Potato Head angry eyes. Eventually the Loose head prop, did lose his head and after 3 off the ball contact events was sent to the bin 5mins from the end of the game and East took advantage and converted a penalty. The difference in the halves, I felt was the subs for both teams gave them the injection they needed.

Lots of feeling got in the way at times but great to watch as the sun disappeared and the cold crossed the field from the creek and crept up the grandstand. Time to go and make our way back to GC to watch the second half or the AB vs Rish game and prepare for another game of awe some Rugby!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

The try of the match though was a brilliant solo effort on full-time to the Stingrays player (O'Toole???). Also, the score doesn't reflect how good the Stingrays goal-line defence is- all Uni tries were scored from 5m or more out- trying to score while camped on their line was fruitless.

Game of the day was reserve grade where Logan showed why they deserve to be included in the Premier comp- especially given they can already field 3 grades & 2 (?) colts sides. I didn't get to watch the whole game, but they led for almost the entire game - Uni just got up on full-time (or close to).
Cheers for that Cat, I can tell you Logan boys were gutted they let that one slip away. I also thought it a bloody good game,couple of good teams and isn't it enjoyable that game was won with noone complaining about Ref decisions ? Mind you we giving Logan touchie a bit of stick (all in fun) for not calling Uni player out when you scored final try, but was pleased to even hear her say, no he was in air when he put ball down, and all Logan plyers said it was correct, they said they wouldn't of wanted to win on dodgy call.
Also interesting to see a few or our players(front rowers) benching for Stingrays.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also interesting to see a few or our players(front rowers) benching for Stingrays.

Is that allowed?

I'm not here to throw the rulebook at what appears to be a good gesture by the Logan City props... But wouldn't you require a club transfer from Logan City to Sunshine Rugby to play between the games?

I imagine there could be flexibility but I also do like the new move by Sunnycoast allowing The Saints players to get exposure to Premier Grade Rugby, hopefully they got a run.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
SouthernX I haven't had a chance to look into it, but given there the Brisbane comp & the Premier grade comp are 2 separate comps which have 2 separate rules, there may be provisions- (eg: Premier Colts can go between Colts & Grade without affecting their finals eligibility whereas Colts 1 players can only play VERY limited game time in grades before their eligibility is affected)

I'd imagine there would be similar provisions for Premier grade clubs who have been paired up with a different club playing in the Brisbane comp-its be the same as Sunshine Coast pulling players from the Noosa Dolphins etc.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Easts won that game because they had more composure. They were patient and persistent. Matt Brandon guided them around, set up the try from nothing and converted all his penalties. GPS missed a number of penalties and were ill disciplined. With the GPS bearded prop eventually taking the bait dished out by Parry and the easts supporters.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)

Im sorry were you saying that because Logan lost to University reserve grade they deserve to be in the premier comp? i am all for another Club in the comp but we dont need to see any more 71 point score lines do we? i think Logan are doing a fantastic job at the moment and when they are consistantly making GF's in multiple grades then consider bringing them up but only then. upgrading them prematuraley it would just provide another club to be embarressed in the already lopsided premier competition.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
My point was that they were able to field multiple teams (therefore they have numbers) and that despite not fielding a Premier side, they have a reserve grade side that came bloody close. That combined with a facility upgrade that puts them at least on par with the Premier clubs I think they're a good option (I didn't mention the facility upgrade because it was discussed 5 pages or so ago)

From what I understand, Logan has lost more than a few Premier-standard players over the years to clubs with Premier grade sides. Those players may or may not have ended up playing Premier grade at their new clubs, meaning that the Reserve & Second grade sides of those clubs have benefitted. If there was a way they could play Premier rugby in their local area, perhaps they would stay around and do so.

I was there when Logan entered the comp - I know where they've come from, and I've watched them grow, Over the past couple of years they've been strong at home, but that hasn't necessarily translated to travelling well. Yesterday they played a very very good game, and if we were to factor in young players staying at the club because there's a pathway to Premier rugby, then absolutely I'm naive enough to think that would make a difference.

There's always talk about expanding Premier rugby, I watched a great game yesterday and yes, I'm standing by the fact that I think Logan should be in the running to getting a team in any expanded Premier rugby comp going forward.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
First post. Wooo

Does anyone know where you can get a replay of the games each week? For memory the Reds use to upload the highlights from each Prem Rugby round onto the Reds Rugby website. However, I also remember the days were the ABC use to televise the games…

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Logan certainly have a good facility now which is better located to attract players than before.
The issue is that the current participation numbers in Brisbane have decreased 10% pa over the last 2 years with a large decrease in team numbers as well this year.
Logan is not fielding a Colts team this year and their Junior numbers are still closer to 200 than 300.
The strategy I believe was to improve the quality of the Premier competition, not to expand it and dilute the quality.
It is great to see Norths have 3 Colts this year and some better depth in the grades but I think any move to expand in greater Brisbane is dangerous.
It is a pity the ARU Academy structure has sucked the guts out of the 2 coasts who bring access to the como for a different geographic pool. It is no coincidence that the current top 4 are all inner city clubs with easier access to Ballymore where the Academy train and they all gained a healthy swag of coast players on the back of this strategy move.
Logan would be hindered by this strategy as well in that there best Juniors will play for clubs closer to Ballymore (Garland at GPS and Faulkner at Easts are examples).

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Logan certainly have a good facility now which is better located to attract players than before.
The issue is that the current participation numbers in Brisbane have decreased 10% pa over the last 2 years with a large decrease in team numbers as well this year.
Logan is not fielding a Colts team this year and their Junior numbers are still closer to 200 than 300.
The strategy I believe was to improve the quality of the Premier competition, not to expand it and dilute the quality.
It is great to see Norths have 3 Colts this year and some better depth in the grades but I think any move to expand in greater Brisbane is dangerous.
It is a pity the ARU Academy structure has sucked the guts out of the 2 coasts who bring access to the como for a different geographic pool. It is no coincidence that the current top 4 are all inner city clubs with easier access to Ballymore where the Academy train and they all gained a healthy swag of coast players on the back of this strategy move.
Logan would be hindered by this strategy as well in that there best Juniors will play for clubs closer to Ballymore (Garland at GPS and Faulkner at Easts are examples).

Actually the main reason behind a lot of movement in the off season was the fact that a certain player management firm has now aligned itself with a brisbane premier club, therefore all players on their books have been encouraged to move, that is why you will see the best players from both the gold coast and sunshine coast playing for GPS now.

Status
Not open for further replies.