• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Butler is definitely worthy of a Super contract trial... Wouldn't academy contracts be bunk now that we are heading to a national academy next year?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Looking through the 2012 threads for the various S15 teams, it's good to see a number of Brisbane club players getting some attention. Not sure how accurate all the rumours are but so far the names are: Ah Wong (Sunnybank), Cottrell (Wests), Murphy (Easts), Cox (Uni), Havelu (Gold Coast). These guys haven't come through any junior programs to the best of my knowledge so it's a credit to them and the competition that they have got themselves noticed.

Should be more of it I reckon. White and Fuller from Easts are worth a look (Tigers bias), as are Dallan Murphy from Brothers and Rex Tapuai and Rota Setu from Sunnybank.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looking through the 2012 threads for the various S15 teams, it's good to see a number of Brisbane club players getting some attention. Not sure how accurate all the rumours are but so far the names are: Ah Wong (Sunnybank), Cottrell (Wests), Murphy (Easts), Cox (Uni), Havelu (Gold Coast). These guys haven't come through any junior programs to the best of my knowledge so it's a credit to them and the competition that they have got themselves noticed.

Should be more of it I reckon. White and Fuller from Easts are worth a look (Tigers bias), as are Dallan Murphy from Brothers and Rex Tapuai and Rota Setu from Sunnybank.

Dom Fuller has been invited to Force for a week of training (next week) and may play for them against Samoa when the Force travel there for two games the week after that

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

Also Kuridriani from Uni has been picked up by ACT. Along with those two Easts boys you'd have to think Matt Brandon will get picked up by the Force, his talent seems to be getting wasted a bit.

Definatly agree on the two Sunnybank backs, especially Rex Tapuai/

S

Saders07

Dom Fuller has been invited to Force for a week of training (next week) and may play for them against Samoa when the Force travel there for two games the week after that

Angus Cottrell from Wests is doing the same leaving Sunday for Perth

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Match of the round definitely Sunnybank v Uni at Sunnybank. Two Lucas brothers and two Tapuai brothers in the Bank line will be handy but it will be a challenge against a loaded Uni backline that includes Prior, Lance, Morahan x2, Davies and Kuridrani. Sunnybank will miss Houston in the forward pack but getting Schatz and Holmes back is a bonus, and their battle against the likes of Hansen, Sheperdson and McDuling should be willing. Uni on paper but I'll go the Bank upset.

Hopefully the Tigers have enough in the kitbag to get over Souths at home, Suncoast to upset GPS, Brothers comfortably over the Goldie, and Wests in a close one over Norths.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
From the results I've heard today I had another crap tipping week. Uni and Sunnybank was close at half time I hear but Uni ran away with it in the second half. Not sure of the score. Easts were apparently 22-0 winners over Souths, good result for the Tigers. Be interested to know who played well.

Norths got up 29-26 over Wests for back to back wins. I decided to go and have a look at this game and while the standard of both teams is not up there with the comp leaders it was a good contest and both teams were willing. The 13 for Wests had some damaging runs, who is he Saders 07? The 12 for Norths is not someone I recognise either, Fijian guy, but he looked to be the leader of the Norths backs and gave them some good forward momentum.

S

Saders07

Norths got up 29-26 over Wests for back to back wins. I decided to go and have a look at this game and while the standard of both teams is not up there with the comp leaders it was a good contest and both teams were willing. The 13 for Wests had some damaging runs, who is he Saders 07? The 12 for Norths is not someone I recognise either, Fijian guy, but he looked to be the leader of the Norths backs and gave them some good forward momentum.

You are right about the standard Spectator, for Wests I thought it was their worst performance of the season. Execution in terms of both skill level and game plan was short of where it has been but as you've recognised they ae willing. Many injuries and illness not helping. No 13 is a young Samoan lad Leia Saofiaga (or "Fish" to the boys). He has been in the Samoan 7's set up and looking to work on his 15-man game. Norths 12 was their 3 pointer, direct and bruising and a major contributor to the execution of their game plan through the 2nd half.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Match of the round definitely Sunnybank v Uni at Sunnybank. Two Lucas brothers and two Tapuai brothers in the Bank line will be handy but it will be a challenge against a loaded Uni backline that includes Prior, Lance, Morahan x2, Davies and Kuridrani. Sunnybank will miss Houston in the forward pack but getting Schatz and Holmes back is a bonus, and their battle against the likes of Hansen, Sheperdson and McDuling should be willing. Uni on paper but I'll go the Bank upset.

Hopefully the Tigers have enough in the kitbag to get over Souths at home, Suncoast to upset GPS, Brothers comfortably over the Goldie, and Wests in a close one over Norths.

Sunny Coast went close to an upset over GPS in a game that never reached any great heights or contiuity of flow thanks to a whistle happy referee. Very impressed with both young fullbacks. Both were great in running back kick returns

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts vs Souths

From the first seconds of the game it was always going to be a heated match, as you'd expect given the clubs rivalry. Souths poor discipline gave Easts a mountain of possession early as their set peice dominated for the whole match. 8 man Mitch Sincock was a force in the line-outs whilst Murphy and Bermingham had a fun time dominating the Magpies scrum, which resulted in a penalty try for the first points.

Souths were never gave themselves a chance in this one, with two yellow cards and one red card, they were always going to be up against it. And it showed with none of their players really ever putting a mark on the game. Kimami Sitauti at 13 was very disapointing, not able to break the tackle and made a few handling errors.

For the Tigers, it was definatly their forward pack that won them this game, with the tight 5 physically out playing their opposite numbers. Captain Luke Bertini lead the way with a number of bruising hits and runs, he is definatly the best 6 in the competition this year in this spectators opinion. But man of the match for me was Mitch Sincock, who was everywhere in general play along with dominating the line-out and distributing from the scrum base.

Easts showing that they can still put in strong performances without a majority of their first choice side (I heard rumor of 16 players on the injured list). The most worrying concern is the backline right now. Whilst Fuller is consistantly performing at scrum-half, without Matt Brandon running the game, the Tigers lack any real threats off set-peice moves.

Edit: Also congratulations to lock Greg Riley who ran out for his 100th premier grade game for the Tigers, great feat.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Great report..thanks Tigerland12. That win should keep the Tigers in second spot and they cant be far off confirming a final four spot.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)

Isn't Murphy (Easts) straight from the books of Leinster in Ireland via the Western Force? Not sure that he qualifies under the same status as Ah Wong for instance...

J

jaydee

Souths lack of discipline unbelievable. Punches thrown after aboout 10 seconds (no card) then a yellow for a spear tackle, another yellow for repeat infringements ( followed by a "bird" to the ref after leaving the field) , a penalty try and then a classic head butt for the red card. What a day out!! Judging by the body shape of the forwards, it would seem a lack of discipline on the training paddock may also be a problem. Everyone knows that the club is down on players this year but seriously what is going on??
Easts vs Souths

From the first seconds of the game it was always going to be a heated match, as you'd expect given the clubs rivalry. Souths poor discipline gave Easts a mountain of possession early as their set peice dominated for the whole match. 8 man Mitch Sincock was a force in the line-outs whilst Murphy and Bermingham had a fun time dominating the Magpies scrum, which resulted in a penalty try for the first points.

Souths were never gave themselves a chance in this one, with two yellow cards and one red card, they were always going to be up against it. And it showed with none of their players really ever putting a mark on the game. Kimami Sitauti at 13 was very disapointing, not able to break the tackle and made a few handling errors.

For the Tigers, it was definatly their forward pack that won them this game, with the tight 5 physically out playing their opposite numbers. Captain Luke Bertini lead the way with a number of bruising hits and runs, he is definatly the best 6 in the competition this year in this spectators opinion. But man of the match for me was Mitch Sincock, who was everywhere in general play along with dominating the line-out and distributing from the scrum base.

Easts showing that they can still put in strong performances without a majority of their first choice side (I heard rumor of 16 players on the injured list). The most worrying concern is the backline right now. Whilst Fuller is consistantly performing at scrum-half, without Matt Brandon running the game, the Tigers lack any real threats off set-peice moves.

Edit: Also congratulations to lock Greg Riley who ran out for his 100th premier grade game for the Tigers, great feat.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Isn't Murphy (Easts) straight from the books of Leinster in Ireland via the Western Force? Not sure that he qualifies under the same status as Ah Wong for instance...
You could be right Ika, I wasn't aware of the Western Force connection for Murphy. I guess my point was that all of the guys I mentioned were playing Brisbane Premiers without being part of an Academy setup and gained recognition purely from their form in the competition. Although I guess Dallan Murphy was in the Reds Academy and did feature on the bench for the Reds. I hope the rumour that he has a rookie contract next year is true, he's a very handy player.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Souths lack of discipline unbelievable. Punches thrown after aboout 10 seconds (no card) then a yellow for a spear tackle, another yellow for repeat infringements ( followed by a "bird" to the ref after leaving the field) , a penalty try and then a classic head butt for the red card. What a day out!! Judging by the body shape of the forwards, it would seem a lack of discipline on the training paddock may also be a problem. Everyone knows that the club is down on players this year but seriously what is going on??
Were Van Humphries and Brent Hamlin on the field for Souths?

Status
Not open for further replies.