• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbanger

Peter Burge (5)
Chuckrobinson, I am in complete support of this forum being a First XV based thread... In saying that though, there is a place for small news such as scores from the third XV games. But not whole game breakdowns like this clown spikhaza has submitted, no one really cares about anything from the third XV. In more interesting news, anyone know when duo sikimeti and Tuttle shall be returning to the paddock?

Taipan168

Dave Cowper (27)
Chuckrobinson, I am in complete support of this forum being a First XV based thread. In saying that though, there is a place for small news such as scores from the third XV games. But not whole game breakdowns like this clown spikhaza has submitted, no one really cares about anything from the third XV. In more interesting news, anyone know when duo sikimeti and Tuttle shall be returning to the paddock?
Sikimeti should be back for IGS match (Aug25).
His fitness will be a worry. Would expect him to start on bench.
Unsure about Tuttle's shoulder and return.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Is this Lakehm Aiono?

I think so, but its just a rumour. He still hasn't been able to train properly and I doubt Damon Emtage would want to risk him considering a) his injury-prone nature and b) his lack of match fitness. Zac Laud has been solid at #12 over the past few weeks so he shouldn't be underestimated.

Taipan168

Dave Cowper (27)
I think so, but its just a rumour. He still hasn't been able to train properly and I doubt Damon Emtage would want to risk him considering a) his injury-prone nature and b) his lack of match fitness. Zac Laud has been solid at #12 over the past few weeks so he shouldn't be underestimated.
Rumour has it Zac Laud will play #13 in the 16A
and Lakehm will be #12 in the Firsts.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Rumour has it Zac Laud will play #13 in the 16A
and Lakehm will be #12 in the Firsts.

He wasn't named in the team that went up earlier this week and I'm pretty sure that Lakehm is still struggling with hamstring issues. Hope the rumours are true but I think a comeback against BBC/TSS is more likely.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Chuckrobinson, I am in complete support of this forum being a First XV based thread. In saying that though, there is a place for small news such as scores from the third XV games. But not whole game breakdowns like this clown spikhaza has submitted, no one really cares about anything from the third XV. In more interesting news, anyone know when duo sikimeti and Tuttle shall be returning to the paddock?

I think it's primarily First XV based however there is without doubt room for discussion around smaller teams. This is a community after all, for players, coaches and all those with general interest. I think if people weren't contributing to First XV talk then it would be a problem however theres only been a couple of posts and it's by players - the guys who play the game, who go to the gps schools, so I think they absolutely should have every right to post whatever content on GPS rugby they like. If people are only interested in First XV scores and analysis that's fine - but it's clear that as students at these schools with a major stakehold in the rugby we have a right to discuss what we like, especially when there are responses from other students - as there has been in recent weeks hence my sudden wading into Third XV discussion. It's not like I haven't commented on the first XV - a significant majority of my posts have been about that. This forum is also a place for anyone involved in GPS rugby at whatever level to post, and it so happens there is a market for Third XV football every now and then. I certainly don't think the posting has been excessive like you've insinuated, if anything it was a team list from either side & a few lines of banter, nothing special there. I regularly have very long posts - look at the non schoolboys section for almost 2 years of evidence of this.

In short, as students we have in my opinion a bigger stakehold in the game than the old boys - in the same way as players have a higher stakehold than the fans - they are the ones on the pitch and thus have a right not to highjack the thread, but add in small discussion points here and there. It's also pretty clear that it's been done in good spirit and it's not harming anyone, and we are contributing to First XV talk too. I would certainly make a case that I've made a pretty objective contribution to the first XV contribution and have hence earnt the right for a bit of discussion that might not be of interest for you lot in offices but to those who are connected the most, who have the most to take from playing GPS rugby - that is sportsmanship, character & respect.

Back on topic now, Junior is reportedly out for the season which is a major blow for BBC. BBC's game plan revolves around dominating the collisions at the break down and getting go forward, then giving the backs some quick ball and going wide. Junior was a major part of it and whilst his replacement Bronson is more than able physically, there is something that Junior brings to the team that makes him an enforcer, inducing fear into the opposition. Sad news for him but he does have another crack next year.

In terms of BBC V GT this weekend, without giving too much away I'd say that Terrace need to defend well on the fringes to shutdown bbc and limit BBC #14 McCleans involvement in the game. This guy was a 100m champion in his age group last year and is deadly with ball in hand. Conversely, BBC need to open up more space and opportunities for him, whereby it was seen last week he was very restricted against Terrace with such low possession, particularly in the second half.

To win, Terrace need to control the game very well through Dalgleish, who has the chance to show how good he can be this weekend. His tactical kicking and passing game will make or break Terrace, and expect him to have a much bigger role to play than his opposite number 10. Should be a great game and looking forward to a great Saturday afternoon watching the footy.

C

Casey95

Terrace Thirds
  1. Joe 'Bruce' Lee
  2. Nick 'Curro' Curran
  3. James 'Big Jimmers' Thomson
  4. James Duncan
  5. Harry 'Brother of Isaac' French
  6. Cameron Randell
  7. Thomas 'Pilfer King' Moreland (VC)
  8. Tom Stewart
  9. Declan Maher (C)
  10. Hugo 'Scraptain' Freemantle
  11. Resh 'World's Fastest Indian' Nair
  12. Calum O'Shea
  13. Duncan Herd
  14. Jono See
  15. Tim 'Tanning Pills' Rodgers
Where's the... 'large' ranga?

C

Casey95

The backrow is not the issue
the politics of rep jersey's aside, their whole forward pack has proven not to be the issue, their backs just lack cohesion and consistency.

Thoraxe

Frank Row (1)
the politics of rep jersey's aside, their whole forward pack has proven not to be the issue, their backs just lack cohesion and consistency.
Casey95 please don't take offence but without go forward the backs regardless of how good they are will not have the opportunity. As we have seen at the highest level it is about clean ball at the break down. Look at the Churchie forward pack compared to their opponents. There is a huge size difference. Now this is backed up by the fact that every game they come back better in the second half when the big guys start to slow but it is too late by then. The issue is the tight five and in particular the props. Not enough fire power up front. Now this is ok if you play an expansive game and turn the opposition around but the combination of a very small and fit tight five along with playing the opposition in the forwards has resulted it what we have seen to date. So either right kids wrong game plan or match the game plan with the right players. Churchie have run the same plan for the past few years of run them down with small fit guys. That's ok but you need to run the big guys around. GPS teams now are big and fit. Maybe a change of strategy needed on player selection.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
TSS vs. ACGS.png

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
By all reports, it seems that BBC were able to monster the Churchie inside backs, particularly through Fakaosilea against McClanachan. It will be interesting to see whether Fielea and Cooney can have the same effect for TSS.

On paper alone, which this season hasn't been a great indicator, it appears as if TSS have the edge in the tight five, while Churchie have the superior backrow. The halves in Quigley and Eason worked together for QLD so I suppose they SHOULD be better... I would say that the best chance for the TSS team to assert dominance is in the 12, 13 combination, where Fielea can continue his hard-running along with Cooney, the best player IMO. Churchie also have the more credentialled back three but that hasn't brought too much success thus far this season.

Should be a good game and I'm looking forward to it. Definitely not a good time to be coming up against a Churchie side that have undeniable talent, and are being written off by seemingly everybody.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
I might add that it will also be interesting to view the backrow battle, particularly in regards to the breakaways. Brown (6), Papworth (7), Gunn (6) and MacMillan (7) are all essentially opensides, so the four on the park at the same time will be intriguing.

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tips
NC to bounce back and pour the points on, GT to have their first win after some tight losses, TSS to well and truely break any ACGS hopes of a joint premiership, BGS to show they are a contender and that IGS just got a good draw.
NC 13+
GT 1 - 12
TSS 1 - 12
BGS 13+
Oh and TGS to give it to downlands, tipping a good stink in that game also

kickbackkid

Allen Oxlade (6)
I will make some last minute predictions. I am also 7/12 thus far this season

NC def BSHS by a lot
TSS def ACGS by 5
GT def BBC by 15
IGS def BGS by 3
Obviously Ippy verse grammar is the game to be at this week as it is a top of the table clash I am tipping ippy because their forwards should be able to dominate grammars forwards

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
I will make some last minute predictions. I am also 7/12 thus far this season

NC def BSHS by a lot
TSS def ACGS by 5
GT def BBC by 15
IGS def BGS by 3
Obviously Ippy verse grammar is the game to be at this week as it is a top of the table clash I am tipping ippy because their forwards should be able to dominate grammars forwards

IGS are not as good on the ball as BGS. My tip is that BGS will roll them by at least 10. IGS are solid but not a premiership threat. Next few weeka will determine that I'm sure.
Closest game to be BBC & GT. GT to sneak home me thinks

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
What a game a Miskin Street! Absolute rubbish ref extended the game about 5 minutes and gave BBC an extra 3 or 4 penalties but the terrace defense was just too strong. What a day for the Red and Black. Home against Nudgee next week gonna be a ripper. Back to Back baby!
Men of The Match were:GT #5 Bill Ovenden, #8 Daniel Sitaleni, #2 Tom Mellor, #14 Lachlan O'Rourke.
BBC #12 Brodie Collins (Best on the field) and #15 Josh Bowen both the best backs on the field

Status
Not open for further replies.