• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I'll offer what will probably be a wayward prediction by the end of the season:
A tied premiership between TSS, IGS and NC. TSS already beat NC but lost to IGS, NC beats IGS whenever they play and there you go. Another 3-way tie.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
IGS v BGS

Attachments

• P8110884 (Large).JPG
    P8110884 (Large).JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 421
  • P8110885 (Large).JPG
    P8110885 (Large).JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 439
  • P8110897 (Large).JPG
    P8110897 (Large).JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 406
  • P8110898 (Large).JPG
    P8110898 (Large).JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 422
  • P8110900 (Large).JPG
    P8110900 (Large).JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 388
  • P8110903 (Large).JPG
    P8110903 (Large).JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 428
  • P8110901 (Large).JPG
    P8110901 (Large).JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 414
  • P8110904 (Large).JPG
    P8110904 (Large).JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 400
  • P8110874 (Large).JPG
    P8110874 (Large).JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 402
  • P8110895 (Large).JPG
    P8110895 (Large).JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 289

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
IGS 25 BGS 21 - still think they aren't a premiership threat?

Surprising result. IGS's main weapon is pick and drive and they are bandits to call uncontested scrums. I'm happy to fall on my sword but the draw has them playing some big guns in coming weeks - Nudgee and TGS. Maybe a trip up the mountain might be worth it next weekend.
In all, what a salivating end to the comp it will be - BGS, NC, TSS, TGS all with one loss and only IGS defeated.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
A tied premiership between TSS, IGS and NC. TSS already beat NC but lost to IGS, NC beats IGS whenever they play and there you go. Another 3-way tie.
Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, however IGS do have the potential to beat NC which could bring them the premiership alone

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Surprising result. IGS's main weapon is pick and drive and they are bandits to call uncontested scrums. I'm happy to fall on my sword but the draw has them playing some big guns in coming weeks - Nudgee and TGS. Maybe a trip up the mountain might be worth it next weekend.
In all, what a salivating end to the comp it will be - BGS, NC, TSS, TGS all with one loss and only IGS defeated.
Did IGS call uncontested about halfway through the game? The same happened against Terrace, and Im not sure but also happened against TSS so I hear. If found to be deliberate, can't their points be stripped? I heard it happened back in 2003 or something like that

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
IGS First XV as per program (Aug11)

1.Aaron Pleash(C)
2.David Harris
3.Lathan Takau
4.Jack Parcell
5.Daniel Preen
6.Jack Stephen
7.Conor Mulheron
8.Jamason Fa'anana-Schultz
9.Lloyd Simms-Chambers
10.Aaron Adcock
11.William Laenstein
12.Mikaele Tela
13.Landon Hayes(VC)
14.Beau Kurangi
15.James Todd

Coach: Rob Charles
Asst coach: Graham Hislop

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Did IGS call uncontested about halfway through the game? The same happened against Terrace, and Im not sure but also happened against TSS so I hear. If found to be deliberate, can't their points be stripped? I heard it happened back in 2003 or something like that

Not sure about point stripping happening in the past. Although I am hearing about this pattern of "gamesmanship" by Ipswich too often this year. It is a stunt they pull when their scrum is under pressure. Now if their prop is legitimately injured you would think that there would be one more prop in the entire school at IGS. But it does not seem as though Ipswich spend one solitary second during the entire year on scrummaging. I have seen some of their under age "A" teams rock up to a game and call for uncontested scrums before the game has even started.

It is a tactic that negates other team's strengths and no one can call them for it. I believe when an "A" team or the First XV call for uncontested scrums the team is declared as forfeiting the match because they do not have the required team to play a game of rugby.

There are schools in Brisbane that can field a scrummaging front row down to the "E" and "F" divisions. They obviously take the time to coach scrummaging technique. IGS should be held accountable for their poor rugby programme and not rewarded for it.

I can understand one offs where uncontested scrums are called when there have been up to three front row injuries but when it happens regularly after one prop is taken off the field, it does not seem right.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Against Terrace a few weeks ago IGS called uncontested in the 1sts, 2nds, 16A's, 16B's and 15A's after half time. When it happens on that scale its just a bit ridiculous, if you can't win your own ball back at scrum time 95% of the time you need a new pack.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
GT 1sts
  1. L Harlow
  2. T Mellor
  3. R Green
  4. I French
  5. B Ovenden
  6. D Pepper
  7. T McNamee
  8. D Sitanilei
  9. A Fowler
  10. J Dalgleish (C)
  11. J Jenkins
  12. K Larosa
  13. J Heenan
  14. L O'Rourke
  15. T Given

D

_dark

Against Terrace a few weeks ago IGS called uncontested in the 1sts, 2nds, 16A's, 16B's and 15A's after half time. When it happens on that scale its just a bit ridiculous, if you can't win your own ball back at scrum time 95% of the time you need a new pack.

Ipswich didn't even field a 16B team yesterday...

C

Casey95

Casey95 please don't take offence but without go forward the backs regardless of how good they are will not have the opportunity. As we have seen at the highest level it is about clean ball at the break down. Look at the Churchie forward pack compared to their opponents. There is a huge size difference. Now this is backed up by the fact that every game they come back better in the second half when the big guys start to slow but it is too late by then. The issue is the tight five and in particular the props. Not enough fire power up front. Now this is ok if you play an expansive game and turn the opposition around but the combination of a very small and fit tight five along with playing the opposition in the forwards has resulted it what we have seen to date. So either right kids wrong game plan or match the game plan with the right players. Churchie have run the same plan for the past few years of run them down with small fit guys. That's ok but you need to run the big guys around. GPS teams now are big and fit. Maybe a change of strategy needed on player selection

No offence taken, all I'm saying is that they haven't named the same backline yet this season, and it's affecting them. There tight five, and whole forward pack really are small, it doesnt take a genius to figure that out, however they are a pack that has taken a tighthead scrum every game so far (except possibly TSS on Saturday?) their pack has produced well over 1/2 of their try's and let in far less than 1/2 of the tries against this season. Their weakness isn't their pack or their players, it's their ability to play out a full game as a team.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
anybody want to comment on the terrible churchie season so far.
I was at the Village Green yesterday, watching TSS take on Churchie. TSS eventually got up 38-21, but I thought they had control throughout. I won't give a report but I thought Papworth really stood up against the ACGS backrow, as did Third, winning the contest against Eason. In the second half, I was more interested in dissecting Churchie's performance and after the match, I just sat there in genuine confusion for about ten minutes.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM.

I just can't put my finger on it, but I don't think it a skill thing. In fact, it definitely isn't, because half these players played outstanding footy in previous rep commitments. Some have pointed to the coaching of Jones but we're not in a position to comment on that. However, I can say that a couple of the TSS players just looked like they wanted it more than their Churchie counterparts. So effort is the only visible thing that can be occasionally questioned. I guess it is slightly understandable, given their hype prior to the season, and their 0-1-3 record so far, being schoolboys after all. Watson looked good. Cooney outclassed Schafer. Anderson and Nathan played very well as they have for the last couple of weeks. The Churchie pack struggled around the pack a little bit, perhaps indicating a lack of fitness (if not back to the effort problem).

Hopefully they are able to recover. They won't go through the whole season like this. So a warning to anyone that gets complacent.

Congratulations to Terrace on their first win in a couple of years, I can sense a reality check coming next week though.

Condolences to BGS - I can see countless similarities between the TSS and BGS team this year. Both have hardworking front-rows, I would say that TSS have the stronger props come scrum time. Having only watched a couple of BGS matches (1 trial and the opener against BSHS) I can say that their locks are unspectacular but solid enough. Both boast back-rows that would only be bettered by Churchie. Perrin, Papworth, Guttenbiel - Gilbert?, Saunders, Cornelson.
Both half-backs just go about their necessary business, servicing their star-studded respective backlines.
Greene is obviously the star player but Aiono and 13 form a potent combination, a very under-rated 13 for BGS. That's enough of the day-dreaming, but I was trying to say that both teams play a great expansive game, supported through such a mobile pack/backrow in particular. Both teams suffered narrow defeats against IGS, which would indicate that they successfully employed a tight game plan.

Nudgee are outstanding at playing this tight game, which is why I think they will have a win against Ipswich, making the competition very interesting indeed. You really have to start questioning IGS if they call uncontested against the front row of Postale, Mafi and Wessels...

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
What I don't get with IGS's decision to constantly call uncontested scrums is that their front row should be able to be really good in the scrum. Aside from Harris, Pleash and Takau were both QLD players, and Preen played for Australia in the 2nd row. You don't make high teams like that without being able to scrummage.

R

rockfish

What I don't get with IGS's decision to constantly call uncontested scrums is that their front row should be able to be really good in the scrum. Aside from Harris, Pleash and Takau were both QLD players, and Preen played for Australia in the 2nd row. You don't make high teams like that without being able to scrummage.

What is it with all this crap about IGS calling uncontested scrums? The only time they did so was against terrace with the LH prop going off ill and both replacements being injured earlier in the day. All scrums were contested against BGS, in fact with both props getting yellow cards they contested 20 minutes with 7 forwards. Get your facts right and get a clue.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)

What happens if TGS beat IGS (Aug18)
Also, I wouldn't write off BGS after one loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.