• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Also, TSS struggled in the first game against Ippy, with Fielea struggling to get the ball out to his wingers. Did Aiono have that same effect in his first game back? Anyone who went to the game, what were your thoughts on the respective teams?

R

rockfish

Also, TSS struggled in the first game against Ippy, with Fielea struggling to get the ball out to his wingers. Did Aiono have that same effect in his first game back? Anyone who went to the game, what were your thoughts on the respective teams?

Aiono was used in the game to crashball, don't think he passed the ball once. It seemed to be part of BGS game plan though, their backs were flat in attack and Greene was happy to put the ball up in the air rather than kick long for the corners, very different gameplan from them from what I have seen previously. For Ippy their defence was the difference yesterday, I'd go as far to say defensively they are the best in the comp, particularly on their own goal line. They held BGS out for the final 15 minutes on their line, most of that with 14 men and the ref giving BGS every opportunity to close it out.

gpsrugby2012

Stan Wickham (3)
Aiono plays a Sonny Bill Williams style of football, running fast, hard and offloading at the line, something he did reasonably well against IGS. However, Grammar was really showing the loss of star winger Lewis Radford and most tries were scored down the wing by IGS #13. The return of Radford in coming weeks shall see more strength out wide.

It's still early but I believe that if the competition continues as such it will be a very tough end to the season with IGS, NC, TSS, TGS and BGS all hopeful of a premiership. At this point it is hard to see an outright title to any school with NC vs IGS probably coming down to NC meaning that it'll at least be a dual premiership unless TGS and/or BGS are able to scrape through with a win against the always dominant Nudgee. It will sure be an interesting next few rounds.

My tips for Round 5 are as follows:
TSS def. BSHS by 30+
NC def. GT by 15
BGS def. BBC by 10
IGS def. TGS by 2, obviously the game of the round and it'll be very exciting indeed. At the top of the ladder leading into midseason, Ipswich are in ripe form and are up against early favourites TGS.

G

GPS fan

Aiono plays a Sonny Bill Williams style of football, running fast, hard and offloading at the line, something he did reasonably well against IGS. However, Grammar was really showing the loss of star winger Lewis Radford and most tries were scored down the wing by IGS #13. The return of Radford in coming weeks shall see more strength out wide.

It's still early but I believe that if the competition continues as such it will be a very tough end to the season with IGS, NC, TSS, TGS and BGS all hopeful of a premiership. At this point it is hard to see an outright title to any school with NC vs IGS probably coming down to NC meaning that it'll at least be a dual premiership unless TGS and/or BGS are able to scrape through with a win against the always dominant Nudgee. It will sure be an interesting next few rounds.

My tips for Round 5 are as follows:
TSS def. BSHS by 30+
NC def. GT by 15
BGS def. BBC by 10
IGS def. TGS by 2, obviously the game of the round and it'll be very exciting indeed. At the top of the ladder leading into midseason, Ipswich are in ripe form and are up against early favourites TGS.

I must have been watching a different game with all this chat about Aiono. He was slow and when he did run at the line he just didn't make an impression. His cousin ( who Aiono mistakenly passed to the ball to) was continually being popped by the BGS LHP.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd go as far to say defensively they are the best in the comp, particularly on their own goal line. They held BGS out for the final 15 minutes on their line, most of that with 14 men and the ref giving BGS every opportunity to close it out.

IGS were very strong in defence yes, but i have to disagree with your statement about the ref 'giving BGS every oppurtunity'.
Firstly the 2nd half was cut 5 minutes short with all that excess injury time and that new countdown timer and scoreboard which only stopped time once during the 2nd half. By the time the siren went off i still had 5 minutes left on my watch. The siren should have been left silent because after it went off, the ref was under pressure to call time 30 seconds later.
Secondly, Within the last 10 minutes of play where grammar were 10 out from the IGS tryline they grounded the ball twice over the line. Both accounts being disallowed as a result of the referee being blind to the grounding of the ball as a result of the ref being on the opposite side of the ruck and looking for any excuse to disallow the try. (Touchies should have been more aware here). Throughout that 10 minutes numerous ipswich hands were seen in the ruck and players entering in the side were never penalised. I commend Ippy on keeping Grammar back for so long though.

Id like to add that Ipswich didnt look deadly once the whole game and i wouldnt back them to take out the premiership. Two of the tries scored by IGS were a result of a Grammar knock-on and a grammar missed tackle.
Grammar held a majority of possesion and applied alot of pressure, Had Greene been more accurate on the day with his kicking and luck behind the boys from grammar the result could have gone a different way.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Ipswich go down to TGS next week. The Attack of Toowomba's back line with the added help of placid should run rings around Ippy's defence.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
IGS were very strong in defence yes, but i have to disagree with your statement about the ref 'giving BGS every oppurtunity'.
Firstly the 2nd half was cut 5 minutes short with all that excess injury time and that new countdown timer and scoreboard which only stopped time once during the 2nd half. By the time the siren went off i still had 5 minutes left on my watch. The siren should have been left silent because after it went off, the ref was under pressure to call time 30 seconds later.
Secondly, Within the last 10 minutes of play where grammar were 10 out from the IGS tryline they grounded the ball twice over the line. Both accounts being disallowed as a result of the referee being blind to the grounding of the ball as a result of the ref being on the opposite side of the ruck and looking for any excuse to disallow the try. (Touchies should have been more aware here). Throughout that 10 minutes numerous ipswich hands were seen in the ruck and players entering in the side were never penalised. I commend Ippy on keeping Grammar back for so long though.

Id like to add that Ipswich didnt look deadly once the whole game and i wouldnt back them to take out the premiership. Two of the tries scored by IGS were a result of a Grammar knock-on and a grammar missed tackle.
Grammar held a majority of possesion and applied alot of pressure, Had Greene been more accurate on the day with his kicking and luck behind the boys from grammar the result could have gone a different way.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Ipswich go down to TGS next week. The Attack of Toowomba's back line with the added help of placid should run rings around Ippy's defence.

Have to agree with Straith.
Ref should make appointment with Spec Savers.
There was no knock on.
It was a a try. BGS were hard done
by some dubious calls and time-keeping.
The #3 prop didn't spend 10 minutes in the sin bin.
Lathan's return saved IGS.
Lakehm Aiono was well contained by Tela and
replaced by Zac Laud in the second half.
Sam Greene missed a crucial tackle that led to a try.
Can't see Ippy going through the season undefeated.
TGS to roll IGS this Saturday.

G

George Slingsby

everyone's up against ippy this season, the cards are stacked up against them and i'm tipping them to go through undefeated to grab their 20 year awaited premiership. they've dominated in the forwards in each game, and their solid backs haven't let them down led by the formidable centres in Mika Tela and Landon Hayes.

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
There are two schools in AIC / GPS that I know of that have clocks that count down time during a game - IGS and St Peters and inevitably they stuff it up every time. The laws of the game say that the referee is the sole judge of time, so a number of questions must be asked
1. Under whose authority did the schools install these clocks?
2. Who is operating these clocks?
3. If the referee is the sole judge of time, why use the clocks at all?

The only level where clocks operate in Brisbane is for games at Super 14 and Test level at Suncorp and at these games, the clock is run by trained timekeepers who are senior referees. Also any Ballymore games with injury time have the same deal.

GPS and AIC 1st XV by laws allow for stoppage time and this could be for injury, running on substitutions, the ref taking a TJ report or even for tieing up a bootlace. Do the operators of these scoreboard clocks (or some readers in the forum) know this? Probably not.

For the record, at the St Peters v Eddies game, when the clock couldn't even keep time properly in the "no time off" 2nds game, at least there was a common sense decision made on the run in the 1sts to stop the clock with 5 to go - an old rugby league trick from years gone by. The only solution for IGS is to do the same so that there is no controversy.

P

ProneBone613

You musn't have watched the closely, ipswich was the better team. Whenever they had the ball in their hands they were dangerous. The forwards were well structured and i've never seen a kid like the 7 for igs steal so many balls from their opposition. The 9, 10, 12, 13 and 14 were all impressive, man of the match going to the 13 with some exciting play. Igs fought hard and came out with a good result. I believe they've got the potential to beat any team in gps.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I am not convinced of this Ippy team, they surely didn't look a premiership team against GT only won by 2 points. But then again they could have improved dramatically since then we will see how they go against TSS this weekend.

G

George Slingsby

I am not convinced of this Ippy team, they surely didn't look a premiership team against GT only won by 2 points. But then again they could have improved dramatically since then we will see how they go against TSS this weekend.
I agree, the terrace v ippy game was a rubbish game on both teams part.. Although, Ippy did have the upper hand all game, terrace got a consolation try in the last minute so IGS were always comfortable. the game had too many handling errors and cheap penalties, however IGS did win for a reason. They've got TGS this weekend, already having beaten TSS easily in the first round. should be a tough fixture up at the range

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I agree, the terrace v ippy game was a rubbish game on both teams part.. Although, Ippy did have the upper hand all game, terrace got a consolation try in the last minute so IGS were always comfortable. the game had too many handling errors and cheap penalties, however IGS did win for a reason. They've got TGS this weekend, already having beaten TSS easily in the first round. should be a tough fixture up at the range

Yeah that's all correct. Woops I got that one wrong who are TSS playing again? BGS?

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
It's been interesting reading all the "ref hate" over the last few weeks. When the chips are down, blame the ref? I think "Havealook" said it well re the issue of stoppage time. Ground clocks are useless and only build anxiety for the wrong reasons. And agreed, only at Super rugby and Test matches there is an appointed time keeper according to relevent websites. Apart from that, it's left with the ref.
I guess it is easy to cry poor when feeling hard done by and blame the ref. I look at the posts about the BBC v GT game yesterday. I went along with a few mates who are BBC old boys and celebrated Old Boys Day. The game was magnificent. As a spectator you want a contest, and man, we got one. The first half was good but after standards were set the second half was exceptional. Two teams having a go and the contest was the winner. Sure, a few gripes about ruck issues from punters in previous posts but take your allegiance away and look at the game as a game without bias. I stood with the old boys on the try line in the scoreboard corner and happy to admit I have no allegiance to either school. The try to GT#2 was fair and those BBC OB around admitted as much (just not loudly). The ball only has to touch the try line not sit on it. We saw the player bounce on the line and rolled in the tackle. Good call.
I guess looking at a game, several things struck me about the ref being on song, but hey, here the supporters will begin to whinge and disagree. The contest at the ruck was even with both teams benefitting. A key tell is the reaction of the players. And when key decisions were awarded, the players didn't react at all. I was 100m away but the penalty against BBC for obstruction at the critical time near the end of the game. The BBC boys just got on with it. Had it been wrong, the body language would have been quite different. Plenty of turnovers highlighted the ruck law being played well. Many other refs I seen would have choked on the whistle but the game moved along well.
Enough of that though, about the game... Several turning points for me... The run by the BBC #15 to set up an electric try in the second half was awesome. His balance and movement on his feet was superb. His confidence and vision around the field was impressive too. A star in the making perhaps? And straight after the restart the GT #4 making that devasting run to kick start the try which immediately followed. Brilliant. Nothing has been said about this yet which shocks me but I still can't stop shaking my head, with at least 5 minutes to go BBC had a penalty in front and elected to tap it. Dumb. Why not kick it and get back down there? That missed chance oozed inexperience and ensured that BBC had no choice but to score a try from then on.
Credit to GT. Being 14 points or so down and to get back and play the expensive game they did was impressive. Hitting the #2 and #8 through the centres all the time worked for them but was predicable and BBC were ready. The #10 played well with good width.
All in all, GT scored 4 tries to 2 and had the first kicker done the job, they would have won by more.
A great afternoon in a good setting. So many great more match ups over the next four weeks. If only GPS rugby would run for two terms rather than one. By far the most competitve 1st XV comp for many years.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Aside from perhaps IGS vs TGS, NC vs GT in the greatest rivalry in the GPS shapes up to be the match of the round. Look for around 10,000 to crowd Tennyson in what shapes up to be the closest Terrace vs Nudgee since 2004.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone have any thoughts on the absolutely disgusting display of non-sportmanship by the BBC Old boy when the terrace fullback was taking his first 2 kicks?

G

G&GR News Bot

Each fixture of Round 4 featured a stamping of authority. The Southport School were able to clinically undo a strong Churchie outfit. Toowoomba Grammar put Downlands College to the sword. As for BBC v Gregory Terrace, authority was sought defiantly and came heralded by the shrill of the referee’s whistle. The Southport School v Anglican

Click this link to read the full article...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Look fellas fair play to Terrace who where good this afternoon, but I would love to see the replay on a couple of moments throughout the game. Terrace's second try looked to be held up but was awarded. Now I'm not going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't a try but I'll definately need to see that again. Looked to be a knock on in the lead up to their third try too.

As for the end of the game, BBC where disallowed a try for obstruction which was a 50/50 call so I'm not going to complain about that, however in the last attack number 2 from Terrace I thought blatantly came in the side and nothing was given, turnover Terrace who kicked it away and from the resultant scrum won the game. I was right near the BBC headmaster who was frankly the most angry I've ever seen him, but that's another story.

Can't comment on overtime because I wasn't timing today but giving overtime seems to be the flavour of the month. Perhaps a check is needed.

As for the thirds, GT came away with it but not before they experienced the best first half defense in the competition, going into HT 10 - 0. We needed to use our dominant scrum more to take advantage of the game.

there's some video on the front page which I don't think picks up these issues. But the BBC try from the quick lineout - was the ball not touched by a College student? Shouldn't have been allowed the quick throw in my eyes.

G

GPSPRIDE

I am hearing about this pattern of "gamesmanship" by Ipswich too often this year.
...snip...

There are two schools in AIC / GPS that I know of that have clocks that count down time during a game - IGS and St Peters and inevitably they stuff it up every time.
...snip...

Maybe on saturday you should 'havealook' at the game next time rather than the soccer moms on the hill or the porches in the car park. The first half ended 5 minutes after the buzzer had actually gone as he was using his own watch for the timing of the game. The buzzer has only ever been and indication of time for the spectators and and not as the official timer. As for the second half, the reff did not even call the final whistle any time close to when the buzzer sounded for 70 minutes. It seems that as soon as things don't go the way you want them to, you make up excuses as to why the team you supported on saturday didn't win. Your point is invalid. In the end of the day, IGS were just the better team.

As for the uncontested scrums, this has only happened for the terrace game. On the weekend, both the highly rep achieveing front rowers Aaron Pleash and Latham Takau were yellow carded yet IGS were still a formitable force in the scrum. The GT incident was due to an illness which had struck the team were alot of the players were ill but some more than others.

The biasness of this forum has reached new levels. It seems that everyone shuts the doors on the schools that they either don't go to or haven't gone to in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.