• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Joeys really need to invest in a better stand. It reminds me of the old stand at Tennyson and its completely past its use by date. The other side is also just standing ground and no stands on any other side of the field.

1. In Sydney, only two schools in the GPS and CAS competitions DON'T have a cricket pitch in the middle of their no 1 rugby fields: Joeys and Knox. Knox have done a magnificent job over the last few decades setting up their no 1 field with terraced seats on the western side together with substantial lighting for night games. Joeys set up their no 1 field on the north-west end of their playing grounds, which is on half of their no 1 cricket oval. What you probably don't know, Sofit, is those temporary stands on the south-eastern side of the no 1 field are on the no 1 oval cricket pitches. Putting up more substantial stands on that side in winter and taking them down in summer could prove to be problematical while not damaging the pitches.

Yes, the main Joeys stand could do with an update. I suspect Joeys will get around to that task in the immediate future. Installing lights to allow play at night-time has been continually stymied by local residents; they'll win that war one day. BTW, have you seen what Joeys recently did with their swimming pool? Can't do everything at once.

2. Best rugby school in Australia? Read here: https://nextgenxv.com/2022/12/23/top-50-all-time-school-rugby-programs-10-1-2/

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
only two schools in the GPS and CAS competitions DON'T have a cricket pitch in the middle of their no 1 rugby fields: Joeys and Knox.
Post getting dated but good discussion.

Be interested to hear what the best Qld grounds are, not having much knowledge up there.

Agree Knox is by far the best ground in Sydney after putting seating into the bank, and moving the main cricket ground to North Turramurra, and no surprise it often hosts NSW comps with lighting and good camera positioning.

Joey's is a great ground but the lack of natural elevation and smallish grandstand hurts it, even with the temporary stands.

I actually also like Cranbrook, Barker and Oakhill which both have small grandstands and other elevated positions, but none could cope with larger crowds. Waverley somewhat similar but as a (afaik) rented ground it probably can't make any changes and the pitch is rather rough.

Riverview is an outlier for me.. it has hosted some NSW and Aus comps, but is just horrid in weather. With $s spent on drainage, grandstands and terracing over most of the bank it could be so much better.

Sofit

Herbert Moran (7)
In Brisbane I would say the most beautiful rugby grounds are:

TGS
Churchie
Nudgee

I list this in no particular order.

I'm biased, but I think its pretty hard to beat the Nudgee home games on Ross but Toowoomba and Churchie are also very pretty.

Churchie improved a lot recently and has great atmosphere when its packed. Tennyson is pretty also when its packed with people.

OldBack

Stan Wickham (3)
In Brisbane I would say the most beautiful rugby grounds are:

TGS
Churchie
Nudgee

I list this in no particular order.

I'm biased, but I think its pretty hard to beat the Nudgee home games on Ross but Toowoomba and Churchie are also very pretty.

Churchie improved a lot recently and has great atmosphere when its packed. Tennyson is pretty also when its packed with people.
Can't beat TSS with the views over the water, and the cauldron created by the new Old Boys pavilion being added at the northern end of the Village Green