• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Sofit

Herbert Moran (7)
Look @Zoomer1 i am not happy at all with GT's season. However, i have two arguments to discuss:

1. INJURIES
GT were extremely unlucky with injuries in key positions this year in the 1stXV. Now i know other schools had injuries too, but GT had the most by far. And with little depth in the opens program, GT cannot afford to have so many players missing time on the field. Walking around Tennyson last Saturday was like being in the middle of the Gallipoli landing.
McGahan (captain) missed round 6-9 with a fractured scapula and then tore his meniscus in the first 20 minutes when he returned in round 8 against BSHS.
Clifford (vice captain) missed rounds 5-9 with a major leg injury.
Nasser (vice captain) missed round 3 for personal reasons, and about 60 minutes of round 9 after injuring his ankle.
McGrath (second row) missed over half the season with a disc injury in his back.
Weir (prop) missed the final two rounds with a wrist injury.
Wines missed round 1 with a re-occurring shoulder injury.
That's 6 starters who were in and out of the team all year long, and the entire captaincy group had to be replaced. When injuries struck, GT were sitting at 2 wins and 1 loss, and finished the year with 5 straight losses. A team like NC could deal with this many injuries due to their amazing depth in the program.

2. NOT HAVING BOARDERS
GT are also at a great disadvantage as they do not have a boarding program at the school. Boys from the hunter valley and far NQ cannot go to Terrace unless the entire family wants to move down as well. Schools like NC, ACGS, TSS, TGS have a large boarder population and have the ability to recruit boys from these remote places that seem to be rugby breeding grounds.
BGS, GT, AND BSHS are the three schools without a boarding program in the GPS and you can see how they struggle to import players on scholarships. State high are a public school, so everyone can afford to go there. GT however, are not a public school and school fees are not affordable for everyone.

So, for a school that experienced a whole bunch of injuries in key positions, and without a boarding program to house players from regional areas, i think GT are doing alright. The amount of kids playing at the school, and the history of the school are the only things keeping GT rugby alive. But next year i expect better things from a team who has over half of their starters back for either a second or third year of 1stXV footy. I see them coming no lower than 3rd next year. MARK MY WORDS.

Cheers, WJ.

Terrace does have a boarding programme and it's called Nudgee College. We are both St. Josephs, founded by Ambrose Treacy and we also have the Indooroopilly campus which is named now after Treacy, and its also the name of main building at Nudgee College which was for most of its history the boarding house, including the boarding house for the Terrace boys early in its history.

Plenty of families cross pollenate across Nudgee, Terrace and Ambrose Treacy and if you look at these three Ambrose Treacy institutions, they really are the heart of Queensland rugby.

Terrace also has superb playing fields at Tennyson, links into an old boy network of past and present Wallabies and a culture of rugby spanning back generations.

Terrace, Nudgee and Treacy to the rugby Fore!
Ok mate, you are quite obviously either a big Nudgee supporter or a huge GT hater and I think this has become quite obvious to all other users on this forum. I'd have to agree with @WHACKO_JACKO.GT I feel that the GT have had significant injuries throughout the season all of which I feel definitely had a major impact on their season. Honestly a bit sad to see that the hose has obviously become detached at Ross again and the Nudgee boys seem to be leaking their nonsense all over this forum, with the season over now I had hoped we could have some in depth and reasonable conversation about the end of the season and look to the 2025 season but its obvious @Zoomer1 simply wants to come on here and have a crack at a GT side plagued by injuries. Get back to numeracy champ the Maccas down the road from me needs a few new fry cooks soon. With externals so close I'd hope this nonsensical chirp stops getting thrown from Nudgee around the GPS, the boys should start focussing on their upcoming 13th year of education to achieve a prestigious 55 ATAR helping them achieve the Colts 2 and business management degree at Griffith.
Cheers,
LCF

Well Nudgee pulls about an 85 average ATAR which puts it in the top 5% of academic performers in the state, so hardly a low achiever and pretty much the same as BBC, TSS, TGS, IGS, Ashgrove etc etc. They are good at everything and Terrace seems to be a bit of a one trick pony i.e. a lot of nerdy boys who end up in beta positions in life supporting us alpha guys.

The Terrace chip on the shoulder /inferiority complex is a GPS tradition as old as any other GPS traditions. We love it. Missed out academically on Grammar and missed out sportingly on Nudgee.

We love you Terrace, keep your chin up!

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Love the AAGPS getting some voice in the forum. I attended View up until G10 before transferring to GT in 89.

The idea of the all-star games in the AAGPS is tremendous to me. I would love to see an All-Star GPS vs AAGPS game in the future. I know that it's unlikely to happen but still, what a cracker that would be.

I also believe a St Joseph's Cup should be held between Nudgee College and Joeys. Crowds would be enormous no matter the location. And would undoubtedly be a consistent game year to year, unlike Nudgee vs Barker which predominately doesn't bring as much traction to the sport as it could. With the Australian rugby Union culture slowly dying, improving schoolboy competitions and popularity is key for the future of Australian Rugby Union...
Who is the real St Joseph's then? NC or GT? Personally this idea would be great if winner of battle of the colours went on to play joey's post season - just a thought.

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
RE - The hate towards Terrace & The season in general
Are we not forgetting TGS and ACGS finishing in the same place and BGS coming last? IMO bagging any team for a 'weak program' based on their 1st XV squad is simply ridiculous, especially when GT came closest to beating my NC boys. As the score lines showed, this season was one of the closest we've seen, with many simple upsets and extremely close games, where underdogs have come to nearly beat premiership contenders (E.g IGS vs BSHS, GT vs NC, BBC vs IGS, ACGS vs NC). Every program this year showed strong depth and all teams played their hearts out - sitting on your laptop and bagging schoolboys for 'not being good enough' is simply not on. Every player this season should be proud of what they done and I think all 9 Schools should be extremely proud of their teams as this season was one of the closest I have ever seen in my lifetime.
Second, I think basing a schooling programs merit of their 1st XV squad alone is ridiculous. IMO - the key factors are:

1 - Number of Teams (Participation levels throughout the school's cohort)
2 - Participation (Players coming to games/Players filling in Supplementary rounds/Players coming to training)
2 - Student Support (School spirit and culture around the team)
3 - Character on the field/Sportsmanship (Do the boys play fair and well?)
4 - Yes, 1st XV teams - the trademark.
5 - Success of 'A' teams, as well as the rest of teams
6 - Playing fields and amenities at home games
7 - Happiness of the players (Are the boys enjoying themselves?)

IMO all of these factors show a strong rugby program and together help to run a well oiled machine. At the end of the day it's schoolboy footy and people are there to have fun, not to be judged to major criticism for 'having a go'. IMO my beloved NC do these things extremely well but so do nearly all of the other schools, including GT. Simply disregarding a programs success because of their 1sts team alone, who nearly caused the upset of the year, when the program does so many other things well is simply ludicrous.

Well done to all 9 schools this season on what was a amazing season of footy. I think any team on their day could be anywhere on the table, and every team showed signs of strength throughout the season.

What do I know though? I'm just another Rugby Cyclist.

The Blin6side

Darby Loudon (17)
Thought I would say this now… What happened to when schoolboy footy was just SCHOOLBOY. Meaning why are we turning these lovely schools which raised us (For the OBs on the forum) into ‘contract’ based institutions. By this I obviously don’t mean the offering of scholarships. Scholarships are an integral part of the GPS, as the state schools just typically don’t offer it. Why are we letting boys repeat year 12 for the sole purpose to be rugby… Please make this make sense.

The Blin6side

Darby Loudon (17)
Terrace does have a boarding programme and it's called Nudgee College. We are both St. Josephs, founded by Ambrose Treacy and we also have the Indooroopilly campus which is named now after Treacy, and its also the name of main building at Nudgee College which was for most of its history the boarding house, including the boarding house for the Terrace boys early in its history.

Plenty of families cross pollenate across Nudgee, Terrace and Ambrose Treacy and if you look at these three Ambrose Treacy institutions, they really are the heart of Queensland rugby.

Terrace also has superb playing fields at Tennyson, links into an old boy network of past and present Wallabies and a culture of rugby spanning back generations.

Terrace, Nudgee and Treacy to the rugby Fore!

Well Nudgee pulls about an 85 average ATAR which puts it in the top 5% of academic performers in the state, so hardly a low achiever and pretty much the same as BBC, TSS, TGS, IGS, Ashgrove etc etc. They are good at everything and Terrace seems to be a bit of a one trick pony i.e. a lot of nerdy boys who end up in beta positions in life supporting us alpha guys.

The Terrace chip on the shoulder /inferiority complex is a GPS tradition as old as any other GPS traditions. We love it. Missed out academically on Grammar and missed out sportingly on Nudgee.

We love you Terrace, keep your chin up!
Mate don’t compare TGS academics to NC… Last year over half the cohort achieved a 90 atar, and 10% achieved a 99. Also I don’t think this NC ‘average’ atar is 85 is very accurate…

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Yeah you madddog!!!!!!!
Haven't heard the 'mad dog' slang in years. Me and my mates used to throw that around back in '97 at NC, God it was good. Don't know if you've seen this from the YouTube video (the one in the car) but lets just say we did a fair amount of 'mad dogging' back in our day... almost so much that it almost got our beloved Steve 'Stiggy' Baita (Leading GPS Try Scorer and My former teammate) suspended and out for our senior season. Love that this generation are bringing it back, or maybe your an old timer like me who used it use it back in the day. MAD DOG YOU MAD DOG!

John_Pork.Official

Frank Row (1)
Haven't heard the 'mad dog' slang in years. Me and my mates used to throw that around back in '97 at NC, God it was good. Don't know if you've seen this from the YouTube video (the one in the car) but lets just say we did a fair amount of 'mad dogging' back in our day... almost so much that it almost got our beloved Steve 'Stiggy' Baita (Leading GPS Try Scorer and My former teammate) suspended and out for our senior season. Love that this generation are bringing it back, or maybe your an old timer like me who used it use it back in the day. MAD DOG YOU MAD DOG!
Stiggy Baita... Now thats a blast from the past! I graduate in '98 and I remember Stiggy in the grade above, so you must have been in that year too. You best believe we continued your and Stiggy's legacy. Hopefully, this tradition has not died with the sands of time and is still alive and strong today amongst Nudgee students.

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Stiggy Baita... Now thats a blast from the past! I graduate in '98 and I remember Stiggy in the grade above, so you must have been in that year too. You best believe we continued your and Stiggy's legacy. Hopefully, this tradition has not died with the sands of time and is still alive and strong today amongst Nudgee students.
Hahahaha mate.... not sure if I'm being put on by some GPS youth or if you are really a NC old boy. If you are a youth, I'm glad your enjoying the forum and even more glad you know about Stiggy, IMO he is the most dominant GPS player I have seen in my lifetime. If you are who you say you are, then please PM me, would love to get to know you and continue this conversation further.

beachrugby_45

Frank Row (1)
Look @Zoomer1 i am not happy at all with GT's season. However, i have two arguments to discuss:

1. INJURIES
GT were extremely unlucky with injuries in key positions this year in the 1stXV. Now i know other schools had injuries too, but GT had the most by far. And with little depth in the opens program, GT cannot afford to have so many players missing time on the field. Walking around Tennyson last Saturday was like being in the middle of the Gallipoli landing.
McGahan (captain) missed round 6-9 with a fractured scapula and then tore his meniscus in the first 20 minutes when he returned in round 8 against BSHS.
Clifford (vice captain) missed rounds 5-9 with a major leg injury.
Nasser (vice captain) missed round 3 for personal reasons, and about 60 minutes of round 9 after injuring his ankle.
McGrath (second row) missed over half the season with a disc injury in his back.
Weir (prop) missed the final two rounds with a wrist injury.
Wines missed round 1 with a re-occurring shoulder injury.
That's 6 starters who were in and out of the team all year long, and the entire captaincy group had to be replaced. When injuries struck, GT were sitting at 2 wins and 1 loss, and finished the year with 5 straight losses. A team like NC could deal with this many injuries due to their amazing depth in the program.

2. NOT HAVING BOARDERS
GT are also at a great disadvantage as they do not have a boarding program at the school. Boys from the hunter valley and far NQ cannot go to Terrace unless the entire family wants to move down as well. Schools like NC, ACGS, TSS, TGS have a large boarder population and have the ability to recruit boys from these remote places that seem to be rugby breeding grounds.
BGS, GT, AND BSHS are the three schools without a boarding program in the GPS and you can see how they struggle to import players on scholarships. State high are a public school, so everyone can afford to go there. GT however, are not a public school and school fees are not affordable for everyone.

So, for a school that experienced a whole bunch of injuries in key positions, and without a boarding program to house players from regional areas, i think GT are doing alright. The amount of kids playing at the school, and the history of the school are the only things keeping GT rugby alive. But next year i expect better things from a team who has over half of their starters back for either a second or third year of 1stXV footy. I see them coming no lower than 3rd next year. MARK MY WORDS.

Cheers, WJ.
I think it is also important to mention that there isn't as strong of a rugby culture in Terrace as in other schools. Terrace has the biggest basketball program in the GPS by far going down to 6/7 teams in most year groups, sometimes they have even gone down to nine. Not having boarders is not an excuse and Grammer does have boarders.

Last edited:

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Hey Forum, Throughout my viewings this season, the 2nd XV comp has captured me just as much as the 1st XV. The comp was extremely close and provided for great willed footy. IMO - there is something about the 2nds that just has a bit more GRIT.

Alas, here is my 2nd XV TOTS - Please let me know your thoughts.

MEAT EATERS
1. Lucas Clifford (BBC)
2. Liam Robinson (NC)
3. Tito Hamala (NC)
4. Luca Moore (NC)
5. Luca Vlamos (ACGS)
6. Christian Alexander (BBC)
7. Connor Coulson (GT)
8. Kj Tafa Tuimavave (BSHS)

TWINKLETOERS
9. Stan Keats (BBC)
10. Archie Mersitz (NC)
11. Nick Pareti (BSHS)
12. Chrione Tiso (NC)
13. Max Rohan (NC)
14. Callum Dalton (TSS)
15. Kiyan Gunewardene (GT)

IMPACT
16. Harry Jackson (GT)
17. Havea Takai (BSHS)
18. Clay Hindmarsh (TSS)
19. James Merrett (GT)
20. Jackson O'Brien (BGS)
21. Will Dennis (GT)
22. Max Murphy (GT)
23. Oscar Spicer (GT)

SHADOWS
24. Xavier Coorey (GT)
25. Jack Hogan (GT)
26. Alec Fitzgerald (BGS)
27. Jeramiah Petia (BSHS)
28. Ky Coutts-Chandller (IGS)
29. Lucas Burrow (TGS)
30. Josh Hannan (BSHS)

I picked this team, with players who were not injured partly favoured over those who weren't. This team was also picked with close collaborators who are heavily involved in 2nd XV footy who I shall not name. Again, its just an opinon.

OmmitRugby

Frank Row (1)
Hey Forum, Throughout my viewings this season, the 2nd XV comp has captured me just as much as the 1st XV. The comp was extremely close and provided for great willed footy. IMO - there is something about the 2nds that just has a bit more GRIT.

MEAT EATERS
1. Lucas Clifford (BBC)
2. Liam Robinson (NC)
3. Tito Hamala (NC)
4. Luca Moore (NC)
5. Luca Vlamos (ACGS)
7. Connor Coulson (GT)

TWINKLETOERS
9. Stan Keats (BBC)
10. Archie Mersitz (NC)
11. Nick Pareti (BSHS)
12. Chrione Tiso (NC)
13. Max Rohan (NC)
14. Callum Dalton (TSS)

IMPACT
16. Harry Jackson (GT)
17. Havea Takai (BSHS)
18. Clay Hindmarsh (TSS)
19. James Merrett (GT)
21. Will Dennis (GT)
22. Max Murphy (GT)
23. Oscar Spicer (GT)

SHADOWS
24. Xavier Coorey (GT)
25. Jack Hogan (GT)
29. Lucas Burrow (TGS)
30. Josh Hannan (BSHS)

I picked this team, with players who were not injured partly favoured over those who weren't. This team was also picked with close collaborators who are heavily involved in 2nd XV footy who I shall not name. Again, its just an opinon.
Love this! did not see that Jack Hogan/James Merret pick coming thats for sure, haha. Excellent team nonetheless and hopefully the likes of Will Dennis, Archie Mersitz and Christian Alexander will be promoted to the 1st XV next year after a stellar performance. Hears to a great MAD MONDAY and don't forget.... CASE ON ENTRY!!!

Zoomer1

Bob McCowan (2)
RE - The hate towards Terrace & The season in general
Are we not forgetting TGS and ACGS finishing in the same place and BGS coming last? IMO bagging any team for a 'weak program' based on their 1st XV squad is simply ridiculous, especially when GT came closest to beating my NC boys. As the score lines showed, this season was one of the closest we've seen, with many simple upsets and extremely close games, where underdogs have come to nearly beat premiership contenders (E.g IGS vs BSHS, GT vs NC, BBC vs IGS, ACGS vs NC). Every program this year showed strong depth and all teams played their hearts out - sitting on your laptop and bagging schoolboys for 'not being good enough' is simply not on. Every player this season should be proud of what they done and I think all 9 Schools should be extremely proud of their teams as this season was one of the closest I have ever seen in my lifetime.
Second, I think basing a schooling programs merit of their 1st XV squad alone is ridiculous. IMO - the key factors are:

1 - Number of Teams (Participation levels throughout the school's cohort)
2 - Participation (Players coming to games/Players filling in Supplementary rounds/Players coming to training)
2 - Student Support (School spirit and culture around the team)
3 - Character on the field/Sportsmanship (Do the boys play fair and well?)
4 - Yes, 1st XV teams - the trademark.
5 - Success of 'A' teams, as well as the rest of teams
6 - Playing fields and amenities at home games
7 - Happiness of the players (Are the boys enjoying themselves?)

IMO all of these factors show a strong rugby program and together help to run a well oiled machine. At the end of the day it's schoolboy footy and people are there to have fun, not to be judged to major criticism for 'having a go'. IMO my beloved NC do these things extremely well but so do nearly all of the other schools, including GT. Simply disregarding a programs success because of their 1sts team alone, who nearly caused the upset of the year, when the program does so many other things well is simply ludicrous.

Well done to all 9 schools this season on what was a amazing season of footy. I think any team on their day could be anywhere on the table, and every team showed signs of strength throughout the season.

What do I know though? I'm just another Rugby Cyclist.
Hey TRC, not for one second did I base GT performance as a school on there first 15 performance. I based it on the whole school. And as most people here hate the truth.
Whack jacko has consistantly stated how good GT is a power house. deal in facts, and this is a rugby forum, so let me share them with you.

2024. 35 teams across 7 age groups competed for GT. With zero premierships won.

2023. 35 teams across 7 age groups competed for GT. With zero premierships

2022. 35 teams across 7 age groups competed for GT. With 1 premiership won

2021. 35 teams across 7 age groups competed for GT. With 1 premiership won.

so you can abuse me and comment about NC atar (on a rugby forum).

but the facts don’t lie, and they support the fact that GT is far from a rugby powehouse and in fact has the worst rugby program in QLD. Like it or lump it.

but if you think I am problem, then you must be the same people who think the wallabies are going ok. Because GT rugby is a shadow of its former self.

over and out. See you next year.

FanOfAllThingsRugby

Frank Row (1)

MEAT EATERS
1. Lucas Clifford (BBC)
2. Liam Robinson (NC)
3. Tito Hamala (NC)
4. Luca Moore (NC)
5. Luca Vlamos (ACGS)
7. Connor Coulson (GT)

TWINKLETOERS
9. Stan Keats (BBC)
10. Archie Mersitz (NC)
11. Nick Pareti (BSHS)
12. Chrione Tiso (NC)
13. Max Rohan (NC)
14. Callum Dalton (TSS)

IMPACT
16. Harry Jackson (GT)
17. Havea Takai (BSHS)
18. Clay Hindmarsh (TSS)
19. James Merrett (GT)
21. Will Dennis (GT)
22. Max Murphy (GT)
23. Oscar Spicer (GT)

SHADOWS
24. Xavier Coorey (GT)
25. Jack Hogan (GT)
29. Lucas Burrow (TGS)
30. Josh Hannan (BSHS)

Interesting. Lot of love for GT. BBC seem a little hard done by when they won 7 out of 8 and only get 3 players. BSHS with only 2 wins somehow better represented. Is this due to injuries or what was the thought process?