• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Possibly no Quade... luckily the team learned to play without him in 2012... Lucas to 5/8 if Cooper is rule out with suspension

Full condolences to Brumbies fans, to have the final slip away like that so late in the season is heartbreaking

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Reds take 3rd, despite finishing behind the Crusaders and a way inferior points differential.

Unfair.:mad:

But I have been told this conference system is about the money.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Have to back them at home. Opposition likely coming from SA will help.
Brumbies have to hope that either:
(a) Shorks don't win by more than 4 points and don't get 4 tries; or
(b) Bulls lose or draw.

A

allitsab

Not to get too far ahead of things, but there's a real chance of a grand final repeat in Brisvegas - Just needs the Cru and Reds to get through the first week, then beat Stormers & Chiefs respectively.... At least that's what I'm hoping....

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Not to get too far ahead of things, but there's a real chance of a grand final repeat in Brisvegas - Just needs the Cru and Reds to get through the first week, then beat Stormers & Chiefs respectively.. At least that's what I'm hoping..

They'll have to beat the Chiefs in NZ I assume. Meanwhile the Crusaders, despite earning more points than the Reds, would be forced to travel to SA.

Down with conference leg-ups!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Reds take 3rd, despite finishing behind the Crusaders and a way inferior points differential.

But your not takikng into account that the Reds had to play Australian opposition twice as much as the NZ and SA teams.

Looking at how close the marigns have been and the fact that the bottom teams have the ability to beat the top teams as well make it a much tougher conference;)

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

But I have been told this conference system is about the money.
The Cru could not even score a try at home against this inferior team! Who want teams with no attacking prowess to be in the finals:)

Unless the rules have been changed during the season then how can you complain? It is the rules and they should be followed, if anything is unfair it is that there is no full 2 rounds of home and away during the season so not all teams have to play the good teams, or all of the bad teams.

T

TOCC

I guess this article has more relevance now... when i first read it i though the chance of the Reds jumping into 3rd highly unlikely.....

RUGBY UNION
A seven-figure gate awaits Queensland if it can secure a home semi-final
732139-120714s-digby-ioane.jpg
Queensland's Digby Ioane runs the ball at training yesterday as the Reds prepare to meet the old enemy NSW in Brisbane tonight. Picture: David Kapernick Source: The Courier-Mail
WHO wants to be a millionaire? Queensland! But whether the Reds get to face the million-dollar question against the Waratahs at Suncorp Stadium tonight is entirely out of their control.
Queensland Rugby Union chief executive Jim Carmichael estimates that a Super Rugby home qualifying semi-final in Brisbane next weekend would dump a seven-figure windfall into the union's coffers, which technically could happen if the Reds finish on top of the Australian conference.
But for that to occur Canberra would have to witness the rugby equivalent of The Dismissal this afternoon, with the Brumbies not only losing to the hapless Blues but losing so badly that they would fail to collect the solitary consolation bonus point that is all they need to claim the Australian conference honours and all the financial goodies that go with it.
The match at Canberra Stadium is scheduled two hours before the kick-off at Suncorp, which is entirely the wrong order if the Reds had hoped to ramp up the psychological pressure on the Brumbies by pulling ahead of them on the ladder with a four-try bonus point win over the Tahs.
Granted, these what-ifs are likely to weigh more heavily on the mind of Carmichael than on his players, who have been primed by coach Ewen McKenzie to think, at least in the first instance, not of winning with a bonus point which is the very least they need to top the Australian conference, but of simply winning.

Even if they merely scrape home against the old enemy NSW, they still could snag a wildcard berth in the playoffs if either of the South African sides ranked one point ahead of them, the Sharks or Bulls, lose to their local derby rivals, the Cheetahs and Lions.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I guess this article has more relevance now. when i first read it i though the chance of the Reds jumping into 3rd highly unlikely...
I wonder which prop we can buy to replace Daley? He does seem to be the weakest link in the team at the moment.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Very annoyed I did not buy that extra Forever Red membership when they told me about the one ticket per membership for finals this year. Someone not able to go willing to share?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.