• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Playing at Homebush - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt_Funk

Bob McCowan (2)
it frustrates me no end that the tahs are playing such an important game away from their "home". anz stadium is a terrible venue, with little to no atmosphere even when it's full. i realise the importance of gate-takings for the financial health of the waratahs, but surely the result in this game is more important. and to that end, playing at "home" must take precedence over the potential of increased gate-takings.

it frustrates me even more, given the reality that crowd figure for the brumbies game will not equate to a "full house" at aussie stadium.

i know it's been discussed before, but isn't it time to renovate the paddington and randwick ends of aussie stadium and increase the capacity to 50,000?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
dollars.gif

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
why pack the home stadium with 35000 when you can half fill anz?
an educated man would see the advantage in publicity/marketing of having a packed sfs for a couple of games a year... i doubt there are many of them at tahs management.
ohhh but then theres the feeble excuse of looking after the western suburbs fans...
imbeciles- better to pack a small stadium than have an empty large stadium> it boggles the mind as to why they dont understand these simple things

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
My understanding is that ANZ aggressively market their venue and the Tahs end up with far more in their back pocket when the same number of fans show up to Homebush than the SFS.

Add to this, while a vocal group, myself included, bag ANZ for it's location and lack of atmosphere, they do seem to keep drawing pretty big crowds out there...

Oh, if we somehow fluke 4th place and a home qtr final, you know where that'll be, right...

Capt_Funk

Bob McCowan (2)
they do seem to keep drawing pretty big crowds out there...

do they? the reds game in round two drew something like 35,000 didn't it? i remember thinking they could have filled the sfs. and back then they were hopeful of breaking all kinds of records with that game.

i just don't think people like going out there - there's no atmosphere.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
My understanding is that ANZ aggressively market their venue and the Tahs end up with far more in their back pocket when the same number of fans show up to Homebush than the SFS.

Add to this, while a vocal group, myself included, bag ANZ for it's location and lack of atmosphere, they do seem to keep drawing pretty big crowds out there...

Oh, if we somehow fluke 4th place and a home qtr final, you know where that'll be, right...
When the Rabbitohs moved there they were assured of $100k no matter the attendance. THis was the equivilent of 10,000 tickets at SFS. So even if nobody showed up they would recieve the same money as if 10,000 went.
I guess that the Tahs would have a similar deal and if they get 35,000 to a game they actually get the same money as if 45,000 were at SFS.

It is pure economics and Stadiums cost a lot to use, I am pretty sure at one stage the Reds/Roar had to get 17,000 to break even, thats a lot of pressure to face when you own crowd boos their own team

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Go to Bill Young's pub before and after the game, and enjoy free food being regularly served around by very hot, and very young girls in very skimpy Brumbies' outfits...

That's why you go to games at Homebush...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
why pack the home stadium with 35000 when you can half fill anz?
an educated man would see the advantage in publicity/marketing of having a packed sfs for a couple of games a year... i doubt there are many of them at tahs management.
ohhh but then theres the feeble excuse of looking after the western suburbs fans...
imbeciles- better to pack a small stadium than have an empty large stadium> it boggles the mind as to why they dont understand these simple things

Jay-c: Never be guilty of underestimating the strategic incompetence of many of the bodies governing Aus rugby. People inexperienced in corporate politics and business often suppose that allegedly glamourous track records and fancy titles like CEO actually mean they know precisely what they are doing, but this is manifestly so often not the case in Australian rugby. Even the most cursory examination of the financial status of most of the State RU franchises, coupled with their systematically declining crowd figures, reveals this appalling truth within minutes of reading. This is all about generally poor Board calibre, weak management, and inadequate coaching depth, it has nothing to do with 'external' or 'we lack depth of player numbers' factors, these faux explanations are just the excuses-riddled product of skilfully deflecting PR machines at work, and a reflection of the sad decline of our expectations of true excellence in rugby code development and management in Australia.

Your observations above are apt. What possible good does that short-term gain of NSW Govt inducements for ANZ do anybody in terms of fan support and code health within NSW? A 20-30% full ANZ is a lonely and sad place to experience virtually any sport, let alone one played on a rectangular field. The sole exception would be if it was credibly likely that the SFS would be a sure sell-out and fan demand would be unfulfilled, but is that likely this weekend, was it ever likely?

Actually, as a rugby-crowds-figures-watcher as I am in Aus rugby, I do think the final crowd figures this weekend at ANZ will be of high strategic importance for the NSWRU (unless the weather is unusually poor). We all know the trend line for Tahs games this year - declining to highly (financially) dangerous levels around the 13,000-ish mark. Not only is this dangerous for game $ income, a key part of the Tahs' total income, but gate figures (along with TV viewership) slowly but surely drive total $ sponsorship levels, both in absolute numbers of sponsors interested, and what they will pay for rights. Sponsorship $s are, broadly, the biggest $ contributor to most Aus State RUs.

This weekend should be a blockbuster for Tahs' fans: the old bitter rivals the Brumbies determined to show they're no longer a dying breed, a simply crucial Tahs game for the final 6 in the S15, maybe the last Tahs game of the year, and the Tahs have restarted playing very skilful, fan-friendly rugby with KB (Kurtley Beale) on fire, etc. How good is this? Now, I would say that, assuming OK weather, for this genuinely exciting, special end-of-season match, any crowd at ANZ less than 25,000+ for this key match is a sign that Tahs' attendance levels in 2011 may have reached a negative 'tipping point' from which they may not easily recover in 2012 despite, say, a new coach and no more dull, kickathon games in 2012 (here's hoping). A sports crowd tipping point in the negative is when a large body of reasonably consistent fans - say between 7,000 and 20,000 - on a gradual leakage or quite sudden basis make a core decision simply to come to no more to Tahs games (or maybe too, any rugby games), namely they 'resign' and just walk away from that kind of team-love. Yes, they may still watch on TV, but history in sports tends to show TV viewership correlates somewhat with actual game attendance levels. If such a tipping point is reached in 2011, and there is no major change in the formula of management and playing product that has led to it, then I will predict now the Waratahs and/or NSWRU will have serious business and financial problems in late 2012 and into 2013.

I say the above with no pleasure whatever: I am a passionate fan of the game, and I most sincerely want to see the Tahs as something consistently great, in terms of team achievement and ongoing financial viability, as a simultaneously healthy NSWRU, QRU and ACTRU are absolutely essential for a strategically viable and successful rugby capability in Australia, period.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
do they? the reds game in round two drew something like 35,000 didn't it? i remember thinking they could have filled the sfs. and back then they were hopeful of breaking all kinds of records with that game.

i just don't think people like going out there - there's no atmosphere.
Sounded like a simple enough question... turned out I needed to spend an hour to update Super Rugby Attendance.

Since the Tahs started playing at Homebush, it's pulled the highest crowd in each year of any Australian Super Rugby game. 2011 might be a different story with two big Reds home matches, but 2011 aint over yet..

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't expect a big crowd at the game this weekend. I doubt many Brumbies fans will travel, and Sydney based Brumbies fans may not be too enthusiastic. Combine this with the huge downpour, which is predicted to halt but I think will continue right through until Friday, and we might have a pretty poor turnout.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
And I will be shamelessly enjoying a 5 minute walk from home to a free bus that will drop me by the stadium in 20 minutes, rather than the joy of paying $10 in tolls to arrive somewhere in the region of the SFS in somewhere between 30 and 90 minutes. And likewise after the game.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Is there money to be made by lowering ticket prices to get a big crowd, or does the cost of hiring extra security and whatnot mean it is not as lucrative if they are not paying full price?

D

Danix

Why can't games at the SFS come with free public transport like games at ANZ? I'm assuming they rake in too much money from that hellhole car park out the front? The SFS is a bitch to get to if you don't live nearby (used to live on the Northern Beaches). I've been stuck in horror traffic both in a car or bus trying to get there in the past. Being charged $5.80 for a bus to the ground from Central Station (especially after you've already paid for a train ticket) is a bit rich also.

Honestly the Reds game at ANZ had a better atmosphere than the 2 games I've attended at the SFS this year. The SFS only has an atmosphere when it's near full or when the fans are actually interested in what's going on, on the field.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
just dont forget that Sydney is a big city, and the SFS is wedged in an oncovenient corner of it. There are many people who will not bother going the SFS but will go to homebush.

Also, my wife picked up in the past week the tahs are advertising for marketing team members. It's her dream job but she doubts they would hire a woman 6 months pregnant, so the floors open for everyone who likes to bag the waratah marketing department - cocks on the block time

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Why can't games at the SFS come with free public transport like games at ANZ? I'm assuming they rake in too much money from that hellhole car park out the front? The SFS is a bitch to get to if you don't live nearby (used to live on the Northern Beaches). I've been stuck in horror traffic both in a car or bus trying to get there in the past. Being charged $5.80 for a bus to the ground from Central Station (especially after you've already paid for a train ticket) is a bit rich also.
That car park is a hellhole, you're much better parking in Fox Studios carpark and taking the 5 minute walk. It costs $6 if you buy a beer at Fox and Lion also.

Honestly the Reds game at ANZ had a better atmosphere than the 2 games I've attended at the SFS this year. The SFS only has an atmosphere when it's near full or when the fans are actually interested in what's going on, on the field.
One of the best sporting events I've been to was the domestic T20 final, NSW v. Victoria at Homebush. <20k crowd and huge atmosphere.

my wife picked up in the past week
You seem to be taking this well.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Is there money to be made by lowering ticket prices to get a big crowd, or does the cost of hiring extra security and whatnot mean it is not as lucrative if they are not paying full price?

Free tickets don't guarantee a good crowd - if you don't pay your own money for the tickets, why care if you miss it? Honestly, people can get into Tahs matches for a pretty reasonable price this year, I don't think that's been holding the attendances down...

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I thought the Tahs vs Reds game was a dream marketing opportunity. League hadn't started and you had the angle of a QLD vs NSW rivaley too sell it. How hard did they work on promoting it. Given the way the Tahs trounced us, it could of had some positive promotional effects for the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.