• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Playing at Homebush - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
...Honestly the Reds game at ANZ had a better atmosphere than the 2 games I've attended at the SFS this year. The SFS only has an atmosphere when it's near full or when the fans are actually interested in what's going on, on the field.

Whoah, Danix, we're crossing the Rubicon now....claiming that ANZ has better atmosphere than the SFS? Them's fightin' words. Not saying you're wrong, but it does go somewhat against the "accepted wisdom".

D

Danix

Whoah, Danix, we're crossing the Rubicon now....claiming that ANZ has better atmosphere than the SFS? Them's fightin' words. Not saying you're wrong, but it does go somewhat against the "accepted wisdom".

ha ha I know, but in the case of the games I have attended this year, it's totally true. I'm sick of people complaining about ANZ, it's honestly not that bad. The food is also better at ANZ (although obviously it's still not that great) and free transport to the door is an added bonus.

Anyway a tip for attending games at the SFS. Just buy the cheapest tickets ($20) and as the stadium is never full anymore, just move to better empty seats when the game starts. No one stops you :)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Anyway a tip for attending games at the SFS. Just buy the cheapest tickets ($20) and as the stadium is never full anymore, just move to better empty seats when the game starts. No one stops you :)

So that's you who keeps getting kicked out of the seats in front of us? :)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've also heard that SFS is one of the more expensive grounds to rent. As someone mentioned previously, ANZ (unlike the SCG Trust) bends over backwards with financial incentives to get games at their ground - Souths relocating there is a prime example.

I hate the commute to ANZ, but I also hate the commute to the SFS and at least there's free (and more readily available) public transport to ANZ. The soulless feeling of ANZ is a bit of a killer - it needs a full and rabid crowd to maintain any sort of atmosphere - but ANZ does have much better facilities (especially for corporates).

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why can't games at the SFS come with free public transport like games at ANZ? I'm assuming they rake in too much money from that hellhole car park out the front? The SFS is a bitch to get to if you don't live nearby (used to live on the Northern Beaches). I've been stuck in horror traffic both in a car or bus trying to get there in the past. Being charged $5.80 for a bus to the ground from Central Station (especially after you've already paid for a train ticket) is a bit rich also.

Honestly the Reds game at ANZ had a better atmosphere than the 2 games I've attended at the SFS this year. The SFS only has an atmosphere when it's near full or when the fans are actually interested in what's going on, on the field.

I wonder if that is a government decision, most new stadiums around Australia have a clause where tickets have to include public transport, I think the SFS would too old and would not want to add the $2-3 per ticket that would be required

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
They are contracted to play out there til 2015 or some garbage. These comments were similar ones raised at the fan forum recently.

Danix catch the 373, 374, 377 from
circular Quay or the 372, 374 from Central station. Round the clock services for the cost of a local bus fare.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't expect a big crowd at the game this weekend. I doubt many Brumbies fans will travel, and Sydney based Brumbies fans may not be too enthusiastic. Combine this with the huge downpour, which is predicted to halt but I think will continue right through until Friday, and we might have a pretty poor turnout.

Hmmm. Weather forecast for Sydney on Saturday is currently dry and sunny. And this is a huge game for the Tahs on many dimensions; in principle, why wouldn't Tahs' fans be highly motivated to go?

Last year, same venue, same opposition 40,271 went (courtesy Moses' S14 stats). On average Tahs' 2011 game attendances at home are down around 20% on 2010 (to 19,381 average this year), but with recent 2011 trends for say the last 3 games far more severely declining v 2010's later season games. Anyway, you can why I have argued in this thread that the ANZ attendance on Saturday will IMO be a major marker as to where Tahs' crowd figures are actually heading and what may have happened to the Tahs' 'core' fan base this year. (In the interests of all Aus rugby and the Tahs, I hope there's a big crowd there!)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think someone's mentioned it but the turf is gunna be in a mess by the time the Tahs play

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Sounded like a simple enough question... turned out I needed to spend an hour to update Super Rugby Attendance.

Since the Tahs started playing at Homebush, it's pulled the highest crowd in each year of any Australian Super Rugby game. 2011 might be a different story with two big Reds home matches, but 2011 aint over yet..

the reason they pull biggest crowds is thats where they play the derbies> these games are gunna be big anyway and i would see more value playing them at the sfs> play other games at anz if they must
im gunna be there this weekend and unless they pull a crowd greater than what can fit at the sfs it will be a waste.
it seems they are trying to please everyone without pleasing anyone

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I wonder if that is a government decision, most new stadiums around Australia have a clause where tickets have to include public transport, I think the SFS would too old and would not want to add the $2-3 per ticket that would be required

A couple of years ago I took the train to Central and the bus to the ground was included in the total price. All you had to do was ask for the special ticket at the train station ticket window.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
As I recall the Tahs had a contract with the ANZ to hold 2 pool games there this year and all the home finals, should they have qualified to play in any.

This year they elected to play the Reds and Brumbies game at the ANZ but no doubt the Crusaders and the Reds will be the choices next year. I doubt if they would choose a SAffer team as one of the teams for 2012. It doesn't matter how good they are; they don't have the drawing power in Sydney, such as it it is.

Maybe if the Brumbies slide down further than they are now they could choose the best SAffer team in 2013 as the 2nd team to play. If they have the same format, the Tahs will play the Saders away that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.