• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NZ Domestic comps

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Yep WOB Counties were originally South Aucklnd anyway (actually started by my group involving my great-grandfather), also I wouldn't be against Harbour being split between Auck and Taniwha. Barnes is right, NPC needs to be less about the cities and more about satelite towns/cities that don'e get tests and super games.

North Harbour has established itself as something more than just the part of Auckland that's north of the Harbour Bridge. Counties-Manukau otoh doesn't really exist beyond rugby: I've had loads of people tell me they're from South Auckland or Pukekohe, or somewhere on the West side of the Firth of Thames but I don't recall anyone ever saying they were from Counties-Manukau.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
North Harbour has established itself as something more than just the part of Auckland that's north of the Harbour Bridge. Counties-Manukau otoh doesn't really exist beyond rugby: I've had loads of people tell me they're from South Auckland or Pukekohe, or somewhere on the West side of the Firth of Thames but I don't recall anyone ever saying they were from Counties-Manukau.
True mate, but how many people have you heard say they from Horowhenua-Kapiti. Counties was originally South Auckland and Manakau was only really added to make sure the likes city boys didn't feel left out. When it was formwd originally it was what is Counties part of it that actually was the main driving force. I can see your point about North Harbour, but genuinely feel they could split as easily as Counties by just going back to either old baondaries pre NH days or something like that.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^ yes but 'nua & Kapiti are distinct local government entities & HRU only became HKRU after the five-into-two (forced) amalgamation that created those Districts.

Pull up the list of C-M clubs then Google the place names & you'll get results such as "Waikato District, Waikato Region" or "Franklin District, Auckland Region".

Other than rugby there's never been anything called "Counties" & the Manukau half used to be a collection of boroughs before they too were forced to first merge then become part of the "Super City" we have today.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
That was a proper final wasn't it? Geez there were some shattered looking players at end, mind you 100 minutes of that would leave most players stuffed.
Anyway that's it for NPC and domestic stuff here in NZ, so I can head overseas tomoorow knowing I saw another good comp!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Thought the Welly prop (?) was gunna get done for head contact in about the 98th minute, the tackle that led to the final scrum. Seemed pretty clear at first glance & was surprised they didn't even look at it in the background.