• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NZ domestic competitions 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Didn't watch it, but sounds like Auckland was involved in another cripple fight. They need a proper rugby coach, not another old boy appointment in Nic White. FFS the St Kents coaches would probably do a better job.

Speaking of which, apparently the crowd was halved from that of the preceding 1st XV final. Wouldn't blame them. Even the lower grade 1A sides tend to produce more entertaining rugby than fuddy duddy Nic White and his turgid retinue of rugby spastics.

The fuddy-duddy, old boy appointment Nic White continues to flounder. His inept Auckland side has conspired to lose, at home, to a Waikato U20s side whose best known player is renowned as an alcoholic first, and occasional rugby player second.

Thoughts on today's capitulation?

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Auckland were a shambolic mess, if there was a game plan for this game, it was clearly ignored by their players, who looked to do everything off the cuff on attack and defended without any structure.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/96450184/north-harbour-embarrass-auckland-in-huge-win

Sounds about right.

If they do even bother to try and fix it -- which they probably won't because of fuddy-duddy, self-congratulatory, back slapping -- the'll probably do something equally stupid like appoint Kirwan as coach based on a game he played in 1988 for the Onehunga Butchers Old Boys XV.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I'm not sure that it all the coach who is the problem there zer0, as we have seen at Blues/Auckland it doesn't seem to matter who coach is, they seem to struggle to get results we all think they are capable of. Though I do agree this mob look like they lack a game plan, or one that they are capable of playing.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
I'm not sure that it all the coach who is the problem there zer0, as we have seen at Blues/Auckland it doesn't seem to matter who coach is, they seem to struggle to get results we all think they are capable of. Though I do agree this mob look like they lack a game plan, or one that they are capable of playing.

I disagree. But, fortunately, we have some empirical data -- Auckland's results over the last few seasons -- to test this claim.

2012: Finished 3rd (8/2) and lost the final
2013: Finished 3rd (7/3) and lost their semifinal to eventual champions
2014: Finished 4th (6/3/1) and lost their semifinal to eventual champions
2015: Finished 2nd (7/2/1) and lost the final
2016: Finished 6th (5/5)
2017: Currently 7th (1/3)

I think it's pretty clear to see when Nic White was made coach, and the effect that good coaching has upon results.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I disagree. But, fortunately, we have some empirical data -- Auckland's results over the last few seasons -- to test this claim.

2012: Finished 3rd (8/2) and lost the final
2013: Finished 3rd (7/3) and lost their semifinal to eventual champions
2014: Finished 4th (6/3/1) and lost their semifinal to eventual champions
2015: Finished 2nd (7/2/1) and lost the final
2016: Finished 6th (5/5)
2017: Currently 7th (1/3)

I think it's pretty clear to see when Nic White was made coach, and the effect that good coaching has upon results.

Fair enough zer0, I was probably throwing in the disappointing Blues results.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Even then, there's been an improvement since Kirwan was replaced. The Blues were 8th overall on pure points this year and only lost one derby match by more than 10 points -- the Chiefs match with Luatua's red card. They most certainly would've placed higher if they didn't have to play about half their matches against four of the five best teams in the competition.

If Super Rugby 2018 returns to a full round robin and a proper, meritocratic, postseason, then the Blues should certainly be in the running for a finals appearance.

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
The other good news from a Blues point of view is that all 3 10s they have signed for next year are playing well in the Mitre 10 Cup, Black, Gatland and Perofeta are all impressing at first five for their respective teams (touch wood for no injuries). Some of their previous 10s weren't even impressive at Mitre 10 Cup level (e.g. Simon Hickey, Piers Francis etc).

But yes back on Auckland - Nick White and the coaching group should take the majority of the blame - they are woeful. However, others in the union decided to keep them after it was clear last year they were absolute rubbish so yes the problem is bigger than just the coaches.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Thank god we get this in Australia. The standard is just so much better than the NRC and I just enjoy the quality rugby it produces.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Wellington starting to look good for a return to the Premiership:

Next two matches are v Prem teams (Tasman this Sunday, Cant'y next) which will be key for them.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Harbour now four from four. Haven't always been pretty but they're clearly now the senior partner in the Bloos region.

Canterbury v Southland for the Shield tonight & Cantabs are literally unbackable favourites, TAB have stopped taking head to head bets on them & offering just $1.03 for the 13+ option. Southland have been woeful so it's hard to argue with that assessment.

The 'nua juggernaut rolls back into Levin tomorrow v Thames Valley & there's a poignant match in Te Kuiti, King Country v Wairarapa Bush i.e. Meads v Lochore. It's obviously too soon but I wouldn't be surprised if say next year Sir BJ puts up a Trophy of some sort in honour of his mate.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Harbour certainly seem to be doing something right WOB, got that good mix of young ones and a couple of old heads to guide them a bit.
So the Valley is the next on the Nua's plate, the crowd will be starting their pre match drinks tonight no doubt at some of the world famous drinking spots around town-Cossie, Levin Club, O'Malley's etc etc

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sounds like a Western Province problem. Administrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.