• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2024

The Hero

Stan Wickham (3)
Really sad to hear some potentially devastating news for the View boys. Alex Bradley has unfortunately been pulverised by a bus up at the Lane cove shopping centre. Rumour has it Ollie Lau (King of the Royal Oak) has been grinding away and is looking to fill this position. Can he live up to the moment given it is his month of the year, asthe godfather of Debating, this should be easy for him.

The Hero

Stan Wickham (3)
It was actually one of the Go Zero environemntally friendly buses. Ironic as he is the leader of the riverview green wolves, making it even more devastating. On another note yes you are correct, I believe Oliver is actually her son

It was actually one of the Go Zero environemntally friendly buses. Ironic as he is the leader of the riverview green wolves, making it even more devastating. On another note yes you are correct, I believe Oliver is actually her son
That's quite interesting Hero.

Just wondering if you have any predictions for both the Senior A and Senior B grand finals this Friday?

The Hero

Stan Wickham (3)
That's quite interesting Hero.

Just wondering if you have any predictions for both the Senior A and Senior B grand finals this Friday?
As inclined as I am to make a comment I just can't think straight with the absolute despair Im feeling at the fact SBHS isn't competing. Despite our transfer to an all academic college therefore ruining our sport I at least thought we'd be good at debating, well, clearly not.

CutOutBallFanatic

Frank Nicholson (4)
Really sad to hear some potentially devastating news for the View boys. Alex Bradley has unfortunately been pulverised by a bus up at the Lane cove shopping centre. Rumour has it Ollie Lau (King of the Royal Oak) has been grinding away and is looking to fill this position. Can he live up to the moment given it is his month of the year, asthe godfather of Debating, this should be easy for him.
Typical Schoolboy Pisstake. Somebody clean up this Forum.

Cheers,
- Fanatic

Any final thoughts before tomorrow, my money is firmly on Grammar but would love to know would others think.

Anyone else seen this video from the Cranbrook boys tonight? Must say very entertaining and love the fightback from Grammar in the comments. As much as I think the actual debate will be a bit of whitewash I'd love to see how the crowd goes tomorrow.

Cheers,
Arthur

My prediction lies with the underdogs of Cranbrook. Someone's got to back them, but its hard to see a high likelihood of them overthrowing Grammar.
Prediction: Grammar
Who I want to win: Cranbrook

The 36

Frank Row (1)
My prediction for the grand final is Sydney Grammar simply because they just have a way higher quality team. But, we just can't ignore the fact that its a home grand final. Maybe the crowd might bring Cranbrook through or Sydney Grammar could fumble.

Will update throughout the night.

Signing off until later,
The 36

CutOutBallFanatic

Frank Nicholson (4)
My prediction for the grand final is Sydney Grammar simply because they just have a way higher quality team. But, we just can't ignore the fact that its a home grand final. Maybe the crowd might bring Cranbrook through or Sydney Grammar could fumble.

Will update throughout the night.

Signing off until later,
The 36
home grand final should be a huge boost for cranbrook and may be what turns the tide in the outcome of the debate.

Cheers,
- Fanatic

The 36

Frank Row (1)
Yes hopefully.
If Sydney Grammar win it will really turn the ISDA into a boring competition.
Cranbrook is debating for the whole of Sydney in this debate, not just themselves.

The 36

Frank Row (1)
That is very sad. If Cranbrook win it would be a very entertaining final and make sure people still follow the comp next year rather than thinking Sydney Grammar winning every time

New Information from Chat:

The much-anticipated grand final of the NSW Schoolboy Debating Championship saw two titans of the debating world, Cranbrook and Sydney Grammar, face off in an electrifying contest that kept the audience on the edge of their seats. Held in the grandiose hall of the Sydney Town Hall, the atmosphere was charged with excitement and anticipation as both teams prepared to engage in a battle of wits and words.

The Teams​

Cranbrook:

• First Speaker: James Thompson
  • Second Speaker: Emily Carter
  • Third Speaker: Robert Ling
Sydney Grammar:

• First Speaker: Samuel Jones
  • Second Speaker: Olivia Martin
  • Third Speaker: Henry Walker

The Topic​

The topic for the grand final was: "That social media has done more harm than good to society."

The Case for the Affirmative: Cranbrook​

James Thompson opened the debate for Cranbrook with a powerful speech that highlighted the detrimental effects of social media on mental health, particularly among teenagers. He cited alarming statistics on the rise of anxiety and depression linked to social media use and argued that the platform's algorithms often prioritize sensationalism and divisiveness over meaningful connection.

Emily Carter, the second speaker for Cranbrook, built on this foundation by discussing the spread of misinformation and its impact on democracy. She provided examples of fake news influencing elections and public opinion, emphasizing the difficulty of regulating content and the inherent biases within these platforms.

Robert Ling, Cranbrook's third speaker, masterfully rebutted Sydney Grammar's points while reinforcing his team's arguments. He underscored the isolation caused by social media addiction and the erosion of real-life communication skills, painting a grim picture of a society increasingly disconnected despite being more 'connected' than ever.

The Case for the Negative: Sydney Grammar​

Samuel Jones, the first speaker for Sydney Grammar, countered by acknowledging the problems highlighted by Cranbrook but argued that these issues stemmed from misuse rather than the inherent nature of social media. He pointed out the platform's role in connecting people across the globe, fostering movements for social justice, and providing a voice to the marginalized.

Olivia Martin, the second speaker for Sydney Grammar, expanded on the positive aspects by highlighting social media's role in education and awareness. She provided examples of successful crowdfunding campaigns and community initiatives that thrived through social media, arguing that these platforms can be powerful tools for good when used responsibly.

Henry Walker, the third speaker for Sydney Grammar, delivered a robust rebuttal, focusing on the potential for regulation and education to mitigate the harms mentioned by Cranbrook. He argued that the solution lies in better digital literacy and stricter enforcement of policies, rather than dismissing social media entirely.

The Clash​

The debate was fierce, with both teams passionately defending their positions and delivering incisive rebuttals. Cranbrook's emphasis on the negative psychological impacts and misinformation was met with strong counterpoints from Sydney Grammar, who highlighted the potential for positive societal change and connectivity.

The adjudicators faced a tough decision, as both teams presented compelling arguments with eloquence and depth. After much deliberation, the verdict was finally announced.

The Verdict​

The grand final victory was awarded to Cranbrook, whose arguments on the irreversible damage to mental health and the societal division caused by social media resonated more strongly with the adjudicators. The judges commended Sydney Grammar for their excellent case and rebuttals, but ultimately felt that Cranbrook's points were more persuasive in highlighting the long-term consequences of social media's negative impact.