• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
@Cattledog, It goes something like this:

Players must play at least 4 SJRU games to play in State Champs.
Players must play one additional SJRU game to be considered for Sydney Selection.

It would appear that a team have may registered to play SJRU competition with the sole intention to just play those "minimum" number of games so they would qualify their players for Rep duties.

Following playing the necessary number of games, the belief is that the team will then forfeit the rest of their competition games, or simply pull out of the competition.

Even if that was the case, the team would have complied with the rules for eligibility, albeit somewhat cynically.

It is yet to be proved if the team in question will do what is being rumoured that it is intending to do.

There is a fair bit more background (as there always is).

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
@Cattledog, It goes something like this:

Even if that was the case, the team would have complied with the rules for eligibility, albeit somewhat cynically.

It is yet to be proved if the team in question will do what is being rumoured that it is intending to do..

There's sufficient evidence to indict right now.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
There's sufficient evidence to indict right now.

Righto. So the suspicion & worries that some had for the SJRU U16's comp in 2014 in light of the U16 experience in 2013 is fast becoming a reality? This was always a concern post rep time. Bugger!

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Righto. So the suspicion & worries that some had for the SJRU U16's comp in 2014 in light of the U16 experience in 2013 is fast becoming a reality? This was always a concern post rep time. Bugger!

Team hasn't been picked yet. From what I know the selectors have been more visible and thorough this year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
While there remains two representative pathways at U16 (Juniors and Schools) the issue will remain.

Despite the absence of the ARU National U16 championships, it would appear that some form of localised variation of the National Champs will be run by persons unknown.

Two groups of selectors will yet again be trying to select what they consider to be the best kids, from the same group of kids.

Instead of fighting over the "elite" representative players, they should be fighting over the best way to get more kids playing rugby. Broaden the base of the pyramid and the peak of the pyramid will look after itself.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Surprised MNZ got the 7 given the MWZ team dominated across the field, through most of the game in all facets of play.

Fixed. :)
I only saw the first 2 tries, so I'll take your word for it.
to venture out in those conditions you must have had someone playing?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

Time to revisit and revamp the rep programme perhaps.

ARU have cancelled the U16 Nationals, and introduced the JGC, there are so few Under 18's playing in SJRU competition that anyone who has ever played for juniors is eligible for the SJRU U18 representative team, team numbers seem to be stagnant in most age groups. Doing what we have always done with the rep programme doesn't seem to have achieved the desired change.

Is there an easy answer? Not likely because if there was, SJRU would have stumbled upon it already.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Time to revisit and revamp the rep programme perhaps.

ARU have cancelled the U16 Nationals, and introduced the JGC, there are so few Under 18's playing in SJRU competition that anyone who has ever played for juniors is eligible for the SJRU U18 representative team, team numbers seem to be stagnant in most age groups. Doing what we have always done with the rep programme doesn't seem to have achieved the desired change.

Is there an easy answer? Not likely because if there was, SJRU would have stumbled upon it already.

There is an easy answer - Clear, decisive, strategic, & intelligent leadership of the game we love so that it grows and prospers.

The whole issue of the vast fall away of players in the transition ages of U16 - U20 across NSW needs a special investigation by the NSWRU. It's a downward spiral no minis = no juniors = no colts = no grade players? Penrith knows this all too we'll.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Not by the NSWRU they're useless.

The ARU has been cutting the NSWRU et al out of the equation. The NRC is a relationship directly between the ARU and the district teams cutting the NSWRU and SRU out (Qld recognised this from the get go). The JGC also cuts the middle out and goes straight to the districts. Now the ARU has pulled out of the National rugby championships, it can use the money better in other ways.
I feel that the ARU has identified the real problem.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
I only saw the first 2 tries, so I'll take your word for it.
to venture out in those conditions you must have had someone playing?

Who you kidding IS, if you were taking my word you wouldn’t be trying to suggest my appraisal of the game is tainted as I ‘must have had someone playing’.

Nice try but three strong wins including 29-7, 5 trys to 1 score line against MNZ says it all about the dominance of MWZ.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Who you kidding IS, if you were taking my word you wouldn’t be trying to suggest my appraisal of the game is tainted as I ‘must have had someone playing’.

Nice try but three strong wins including 29-7, 5 trys to 1 score line against MNZ says it all about the dominance of MWZ.
I was deliberately being non-critical of players whose failings, identified directly by you, I did not witness.
I have not defended MNZ and have no and have never had any connection with it.
I have levelled no criticism at MWZ at all - and I defy you to show where I have or where I have defended MNZ.
"Nice try" - you don't have the first clue about what I am "trying" to do.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
I was deliberately being non-critical of players whose failings, identified directly by you, I did not witness.
I have not defended MNZ and have no and have never had any connection with it.
I have levelled no criticism at MWZ at all - and I defy you to show where I have or where I have defended MNZ.
"Nice try" - you don't have the first clue about what I am "trying" to do.

You’ve been defending MNZ since the moment I commented on what a disgrace some of them are, it’s the source of your hostility towards me and explains why you just make stuff up.
I never for example, ‘directly identified failings of players’ nor did I accuse you of being critical of MWZ. It’s just smears and innuendo without substance or relevance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You’ve been defending MNZ since the moment I commented on what a disgrace some of them are, it’s the source of your hostility towards me and explains why you just make stuff up.
I never for example, ‘directly identified failings of players’ nor did I accuse you of being critical of MWZ. It’s just smears and innuendo without substance or relevance.

I have never defended MNZ.
I defended some officials in particular circumstances and have criticised them in others, including the last 24 hours.
In your world, apparently, its agree with slugga or suffer the consequences.
Here's your direct identification of players who failed:
Surprised MNZ got the 7 given the MWZ team dominated across the field, through most of the game in all facets of play.

Fixed. :)
How's the chip?

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Politics in all picks,including in MWZ.

Sure, I only hope selections will better reflect performance than they did last year (and I believe they will).

For the record that is an IS quote with my correction. He put it down to forward domination in the first ten minutes, I added it was across the board domination from start to finish.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sure, I only hope selections will better reflect performance than they did last year (and I believe they will).

For the record that is an IS quote with my correction. He put it down to forward domination in the first ten minutes, I added it was across the board domination from start to finish.

I did not put anything down to anything.
I expressed surprise that MNZ got 7 - that being construed by you, since, as some defence of MNZ.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
When does the SJRU 16's team and 16's NSW Schools team get announced?
when the selectors stop agruing about who they want. It was supposed to be out at 9am today, but i guess they all went to work to mull it over and will meet late this afternoon at moore park to finalise.

Status
Not open for further replies.