• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lee, didn't Scots beat Joeys last year? I know there was a draw in 2008 and Scots won in their centenary year, 1993. The results should be in your program.

C

catchpole

Lindommer,

Scots 21 def. Kings 17 last year in the 3rd Round of the 2009 competition.

C

catchpole

Joe,

Your early prediction way back is proving to have some real substance. Gutsy call prior to trial matches!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Good report skullring.

Was passing by Weigall and saw the activity and the penny dropped - the game postponed from Saturday was going to be on today.

I parked in my usual Weigall sneaky parking spot in time to see the 2nd half of the Twos.

In the Ones, yeah Grammar made the Kings guys wait but it didn't do any good as the Kings guys were too good as individuals and as a team. The way they work together with the ball and even without it, argued for good coaching and coachable players. They were also a lot fitter than the Grammar lads who often struggled to keep to the pace of the game.

They must be shoo-ins to win the GPS comp this year and their closest competition looks like Scots. This is the second time I have seen Kings in 2010, and at least the programme I had this time was correct. I would still rate St. Augustines in front of them based on one viewing of them but we will never know as they don't play each other in competition.

13. Chris Ingate had a powerful game for Kings and looked like Cameron Shepherd in his school days. His midfield partner 12. Josh McCormack was scarcely less effective in his Horan-like play. This is a top GPS midfield pairing.

There was hardly an ordinary player for Kings and the score would have been a lot bigger had it not been for the Grammar lads turning over a lot of Kings ball, especially in the 1st half which ended at "only" 0-17. But the Kings guys had the players and the fitness and when they put the hammer down after oranges it was one way traffic but for a Grammar penalty try for a deliberate knock forward near the Kings goal line.

Apart for the centres the THP Guy Millar looks like a quality player and scrummager and I expect his named to be mentioned in rep teams.

It was hard for the Grammar guys to shine but 7. Graham, 6 Robinson and 5. Coe were good in a losing cause.

S

skullring

Good report skullring.

Was passing by Weigall and saw the activity and the penny dropped - the game postponed from Saturday was going to be on today.

I parked in my usual Weigall sneaky parking spot in time to see the 2nd half of the Twos.

In the Ones, yeah Grammar made the Kings guys wait but it didn't do any good as the Kings guys were too good as individuals and as a team. The way they work together with the ball and even without it, argued for good coaching and coachable players. They were also a lot fitter than the Grammar lads who often struggled to keep to the pace of the game.

They must be shoo-ins to win the GPS comp this year and their closest competition looks like Scots. This is the second time I have seen Kings in 2010, and at least the programme I had this time was correct. I would still rate St. Augustines in front of them based on one viewing of them but we will never know as they don't play each other in competition.

13. Chris Ingate had a powerful game for Kings and looked like Cameron Shepherd in his school days. His midfield partner 12. Josh McCormack was scarcely less effective in his Horan-like play. This is a top GPS midfield pairing.

There was hardly an ordinary player for Kings and the score would have been a lot bigger had it not been for the Grammar lads turning over a lot of Kings ball, especially in the 1st half which ended at "only" 0-17. But the Kings guys had the players and the fitness and when they put the hammer down after oranges it was one way traffic but for a Grammar penalty try for a deliberate knock forward near the Kings goal line.

Apart for the centres the THP Guy Millar looks like a quality player and scrummager and I expect his named to be mentioned in rep teams.

It was hard for the Grammar guys to shine but 7. Graham, 6 Robinson and 5. Coe were good in a losing cause.

Coe is the players name I was tihnking of, he is realistically the only one in that team I can see making anything higher than gps 2's , probably the tallest 2nd rower ive seen in the gps ones comp this year, in what is definitely a very short crop of econd rowers

C

catchpole

Kings are coached by David Idstein and Marty Wilson.

Sounds like a great spectacle. I wish I had been there to see the match.

C

catchpole

With Newington having a bye last week and Kings having their bye the week after the long weekend (19 June 2010) the selectors job is made all the more difficult.

The Scots v. Joeys match sounded like a cracker.
The Shore v. Riverview game was marred by conditions and pretty boring as well.
The Kings v. Grammar game sounded mostly like one-way traffic.

On the weekend of 19 June 2010 the focus will be on the following matches to finalize the GPS Selections:

Newington v. Shore - I think that Newington will grind Shore down. But the game may not rise to any great heights?
Scots v. Riverview - This has the potential to be a great game.

Joeys v. Grammar - Potentially a repeat of the SGS match against Kings? Mostly one-way traffic in favor of SJC.

Round 1, the long weekend, Round 2, Terms 2 holidays - 3 weeks. It certainly makes for a disrupted season

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Kings are coached by David Idstein and Marty Wilson.

Sounds like a great spectacle. I wish I had been there to see the match.

Stephen James(Wallaby 5/8) & Brian Melrose usually come in and work with the backs as well. Jamesy is employed full time by Kings, but Brian(not anymore due to his imminent departure overseas) used to come in and work with the backs any chance he could as Benn is playing in the 1's(did the same with Barker as well - his daughter went to Barker.)

Marty Wilson & Idstein are quality coaches Idstein played for West Harbour whilst Wilson played for the Tahs & Eastwood.

W

whocares

Idstein and James are pretty quality and to have Brian Melrose make some cameos is good too. i always thought he should have got the tahs job over Hickey.

How are Kings looking in terms of size?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
You're right AD - my eyes lined up the name and the number wrongly.

The Joeys team is very much a work in progress with a few changes from last week. Walford played Twos today as part of his continued penance but will probably be in the Ones when the competition starts.

JOEYS KINGS
James McLean 1 Jed Gillespie
Ryan Dicembre 2 Tim Reid
Douglas Kim 3 Guy Millar
Michael Kovacic 4 Jack Leslie
Nathaniel Deans 5 Benn Melrose
Bradley Casaceli 6 Boyd Killingworth
Cameron Bond 7 Tom Connor
James Williams 8 George Kent
Max Beer 9 Jared Lewthwaite
Mitchell Kay 10 Edward Wylie
Josh Carolan 11 Josh McCormack
Rob Bartlett 12 Chris Ingate
Corey Ashby 13 Tom Horne
Leroy Buchanan 14 Michael Freeman
Hayden Tegart 15 Brad Curtis
There's a Joeys halfback called "Max Beer" ?
That's the best name I've ever heard. What's he like as a player, and when can we expect him to be starting for the Tahs?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Haha thanks catchpole, more of a punt than a prediction. Someone mentioned they had a fair few back from last season and after watching the view v kings game at the joeyriverrocks channel on youtube, I thought they would be tough to beat.

Too bad cause I am an old Viewboy and would have liked to see them get an outright premiership. Hopefully they prove me wrong!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Beer boy at 9 is Doug Beer's son, Doug's number plate is simply "BEER". Classic. I want one.

C

catchpole

Driving around with the "BEER" registration plates could make getting home late on a Friday or Saturday night a bit more perilous!

N

Nanai

Another spill over from Sportal here.

Here's the GPS teams I'd put together and proposed on the forum based on who has impressed me.
For the record...

I have seen (in order):
Joeys v Augustines
Newington v Scots
Newington v Kings
Scots v Shore
Grammar v High
Scots v Joeys

And my selections are as follows. Propping isn't really my thing, but I feel the two Kings lads are certainties... Below them the Newington front row, and perhaps Riverview front row. Individuals? Go figure. If I had to select props I'd be selecting the ones who ran the best in open field play... Which would make for a pretty pants scrum and no ball security! That's what you get for being a back.

1. Gillespie, TKS | ???????? | ????????
2. Roach, NC |Moore, TSC | Dicembre, SJC | Reid, TKS
3. Millar, TKS | ??????? | ???????
4. Melrose, TKS | McGougan, SIC | Coe, SGS
5. Williams, SJC | Sinclair, Shore | Hosegood, TSC
6. Killingworth, TKS | Goode, TSC | Dempsey, SIC
7. Connor, TKS | Graham, SGS | Walters, TSC
8. Luani, NC | Kent, TKS | Wells, SIC | Miller, TSC
9. Donlan, SIC | Stenberg, TSC | Bannon, NC | Koeber, SHS
10. Dunbar, TSC | McCormack, TKS | Walford, SJC | Wylie, TKS
11. Horne, TKS | Streeter, Shore | Attard, SGS
12. Atkinson, TSC | Latinipulu, NC | Ashby, SJC
13. Ingate, TKS | Roods, NC | Stewart, TSC
14. Tegart, SJC | Carolan, SJC | Newington 11, NC
15. Lenehan, SIC | Mayman, TSC | Roye, NC

See how close I am to reality tomorrow night I suppose. Politics tend to invade selections (i.e. Bannon from NC is a prodigy having gone through the NSW 16s teams, but I feel that his ball skills leave alot to be desired. One of the most dangerous backs with the ball in hand going round, on the flipside. Should be playing on the wing!!!). My biggest interest is in the 9/10 channel as its my 'area of expertise'. McCormack from Kings must be selected, but with all the centre quality, I feel it should be as a 10. Koerber from SHS is an extremely talented scrumhalf playing in a poor team and should be given a run, gives High some representation at the event as well. He outplayed his Grammar opposite. Stenberg from TSC could surprise some at 9, looking back over this thread, but those who saw the Joeys game or the Shore game will at least understand why I've put him in the mix. Has real potential.

B

Bundyon

Yet another one coming accross from sportal, is anyone going to the New v Shore tomorrow? any predictions and or anyone doing a report on the game? what about the other predictions for other games?

Status
Not open for further replies.