• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)
Not sure I agree with the out cheered statement Joker. They've been pretty good all season - last weekend, I agree, they were non-existent...reminded me of the covid days.
I reckon they started well and fell quiet for a period, stunned by what had happened on the field. They tried to rally some energy but like a beaten boxer, they were on the ropes, flailing about but not landing many. Metaphorically speaking.

Rudderless

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Best wishes to Will who had to hang up his rugby boots as an A grade player unable to do both…

Will Rogers and coach Julian Huxley leave for Canada tomorrow to compete at the World Junior Rowing Championships.

IMG_4972.jpeg

Last edited:

Maul of Duty

Ward Prentice (10)
Can’t be in tow places at once but there’d be plenty who wish they could be this weekend.
Joeys V Shore is massive.
Been a strange old year results wise and any team can win on the day.
Without Logan, will be tough at the breakdown for Joeys.
Suspect coaching will need to be creative to give Joeys any advantage - Fowler’s kicking game and focus on territory has to be the way.
Backs look evenly matched - though not sure what’s happened the last two weeks with the Joeys attack.
Hoping we go into the final round with the comp still open.
Only difference I can think of over the last 2 weeks is the weather. Maybe Joeys just are not as good on a dry track compared to the others this year round

Rookie21

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, it's been a while. However, Rookie's match previews are returning this week.

Let us begin.

Scots vs Newington @ The Death Star

Having lost to Riverview last round, the increasingly more difficult-to-predict outcome of Scots' season has only gone ahead and done just that. The Stormtroopers seem to be unable to maintain consistency, something which is oh-so-important at this point of the season. Coming off that ugly loss, Emperor Lambert will surely do his best to strike order into his troops as they attempt to defend their Death Star, and, quite literally, their castle. On the other end of the spectrum, Newington are coming off a tough loss themselves. On this occasion, it was at the hands of the Shoremen. The Wookies of Stanmore Int'l will jet over to Bellevue Hill on a mission to topple the Death Star in attempt to keep themselves away from the bottom of the ladder (and possibly to chat up some of the Scots mums).

Newington were very clearly gutted after their loss to Shore in their own backyard. Unfortunately for them, they just weren't able to go for the 70 minutes to finish the job after laying an immaculate foundation in the first half. The Wookies of Stanmore will be hungry to put Scots to the saber this Saturday afternoon in front of their entire Empire. If they can play like how they did against Shore in that first half, only this time for 70 minutes, I believe Newington certainly have what it takes to topple the Galactic Empire. Looking for a Rodwell masterclass.

Members of the Scots camp must be scrambling to figure out a way to make sure they win the competition, which is still possible. The issues that have plagued Scots for the duration of the season can be boiled down to simply two things: consistency and teamwork. While Scots have had some success in recent weeks, the team still looks as though they play like a team of individuals. They've always had the players, but the players haven't had each other. This, in turn, has led to a lack of consistency being produced. Riverview were the better team last week, helped by ill-discipline from Scots which has likely cost one of their star players some time. This clash is a must-win battle if Scots want any chance at tasting GPS glory in 2024. Can they pull it together for Saturday? I fear as though Newington may outclass them.

Wookies to destroy the Death Star and take home some trophy wives 7+

Kings vs Riverview @ Castle Greyskull

While it may not be the match of the round in the eyes of many, this clash is certainly a mouth-watering one. The Jesuits will travel West to Parramatta to take on the Church of England on the pristine lawns of White Oval. Both teams will have their tails sky-high after coming off hugely confidence-boosting wins against Scots and Joeys respectively. Can Riverview topple Tony George's knights away from their precious swamp?

Riverview's win over Scots further emphasises the fact that all teams can beat each other on their day. Riverview played an excellent game of rugby and prevented Scots from even coming close to looking like being in control, let alone winning the match. Grover has clearly been the premier scrumhalf of the competition and has often been the one to steer his team (who play like a team, might I add) to victory. I expect a fast-paced game plan from the View boys as they hope God favours Catholicism on Saturday afternoon.

Kings can take as many bows as they want until Saturday afternoon after their careful, yet ruthless, deconstruction of the Joeys juggernaut at the fortress of Hunters Hill. It seems as though they had the cattle dogs wrapped around their fingers from the get-go as they took full control of the match almost instantaneously. Riverview will still be a challenge, however, and Kings will be smart not to let the excitement of the last round get to their heads. In saying this, do I believe Kings will defend North Parramatta from the creatures of Lane Cove? Something tells me that this Riverview team, who are still in with a premiership chance, may just have a little bit more to play for.

Jesuits to crack the shield 7+

Shore vs Joeys @ Stirling Bridge

Here we are. The match of the round. The premier GPS rugby side for the last century, going up against a team that went 5 years without a competition win until 2022 in a match that will guarantee the winner a hand on the trophy. I don't the Gods of AAGPS Rugby could have written us a better script. I would describe it as a David and Goliath situation, although Shore have looked like the better team over the last fortnight of matches. It is safe to assume that the dark days of Shore Rugby are well and truly over. Northbridge will be packed to the brim with old boys (as it will be Old Boys Day on Saturday), parents, girls, dogs, and the Hawker stand may even be entirely filled by Shore boys with many not being able to even find a seat. There is one thing, however, that I fear may happen on Saturday. That one thing is that I feel as though there will not nearly be enough pies to go around. Disastrous. Joeys have looked mediocre at best these last few weeks. Their attack seems stale and predictable, while their defence seems to need tightening, with Kings putting 40 on them last week. In going off reputation, though, if there is one team that can halt Shore, it's the men from Hunters Hill.

After two consecutive weeks of disappointment for Joeys, the drawing board will surely be copping a lot of ink. As previously mentioned, Joeys performances over the last fortnight have struck me as bland and uncharacteristic. They have been far less threatening with ball in hand and their defence hasn't been up to scratch. If Joeys are able to find the same form they had attained early in the season, then the task for Shore all of a sudden becomes a hell of a lot bigger. With the loss of Logan, Joeys must ensure they are not dominated at the breakdown by Shore's big men. In saying this, Joeys will bring a fight, no doubt about it. If they end up losing, it won't be by much.

What an opportunity for this group of Shoremen. Famously, or infamously depending on how you approach this statistic, Shore have not tasted GPS glory in Rugby since 2006. Even then, that premiership was shared with Joeys and Riverview. If that result happened today, it would mean that half of the competition would have a premiership to their name. The last time that Shore won a premiership outright, was in 1969 when Jika Travers was the coach of the First XV. 55 years. Shore came into this season as premiership hopefuls, but a lack of consistency early in the season led to questions about their ability to deliver on the hype. Since their tight loss against Joeys at Hunters Hill, Shore have put the pedal to the metal and delivered some outstanding performances, putting them on top of the ladder as of this week and with a very genuine chance of finally attaining that elusive silverware. With the majority of the crowd certainly on their side, and a team fuelled by the best pies in the GPS, I remain optimistic that Shore will get the job done against Joeys in an excruciatingly tight one.

Shore, are you ready ready? Yes, they are ready ready.

Boaters to storm the field after the game 3+

Last edited:

Cdimi

Frank Row (1)
Haha. Based on the fact they had a draw with the Joeys 12ths, maybe they both should be in the 3rds comp. Where do the Joeys 11ths go as they put 70 on High 2nds.
As I said, the Thirds have a better team than the seconds, and they are up there with the firsts. On Saturday I reckon they have a good shot at beating Grammar thirds.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Was speaking to some Joeys year 12 boys about this game.
I said to them, "imagine if your final game against Riverview was taken away from Hunters Hill to a suburban field"
Like me, they all felt sorry for the yr 12 View boys who will not get to play the old enemy for last time on home soil
If the school worked with the NSW Police and security companies (like Joeys do), the 2018 game would not be repeated.
Plus they would save $$$ from hiring a football ground.

I hope it goes well but the View management are robbing their students.
I hope the game is awesome, weather is stunning and the boys enjoy it as at the end of the day it is about them.

But, having seen and played plenty this is getting more disappointing to see the head in the sand approach the administration has taken. Would rather pay the problem away one weekend a year then implement an actual fix that benefits the community as a whole.

I understand they have plans in place for the re development of grounds and fencing being installed throughout as it has been at the Junior School but why can't they get more security, temp fencing, CCTV and engage with the old boys networks about self policing which can be very effective. Don't use the water access as an excuse. Hire security to sit down there (we know you have the resources) and, if someone is willing to come via boat to avoid security do you think a fence is going to stop them anyway. It's not the Pacific Fleet arriving for Desert Storm.

I'm sure there will be big thank you's sent to all for making such a Great Day run seamlessly but in reality this is only occurring because of inaction from all those receiving praise.

I'll stop ranting (I won't) but back to the footy. Been a belter of a year with a few twists left I reckon. Double round proving to be excellent again.

The Grail

Larry Dwyer (12)
T
I hope the game is awesome, weather is stunning and the boys enjoy it as at the end of the day it is about them.

But, having seen and played plenty this is getting more disappointing to see the head in the sand approach the administration has taken. Would rather pay the problem away one weekend a year then implement an actual fix that benefits the community as a whole.

I understand they have plans in place for the re development of grounds and fencing being installed throughout as it has been at the Junior School but why can't they get more security, temp fencing, CCTV and engage with the old boys networks about self policing which can be very effective. Don't use the water access as an excuse. Hire security to sit down there (we know you have the resources) and, if someone is willing to come via boat to avoid security do you think a fence is going to stop them anyway. It's not the Pacific Fleet arriving for Desert Storm.

I'm sure there will be big thank you's sent to all for making such a Great Day run seamlessly but in reality this is only occurring because of inaction from all those receiving praise.

I'll stop ranting (I won't) but back to the footy. Been a belter of a year with a few twists left I reckon. Double round proving to be excellent again.
1722989033264.png

Totally agree Ghost.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
Any thoughts on the CAS premiership game between Barker and Knox.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Great fella. Bloody good sculler too. Killed it at GPS trials this year. Wishing him all the best from the Shore community in Canada.
Don't forget there's the Australian Junior Mens Four (JM4+) also competing in Canada at the U19 World Rowing Championships. They also left this morning as part of the team with the other twenty-odd U19 rowers (male + female). The JM4+ comprises three Joeys boys and one Riverview.

Status
Not open for further replies.