• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Staff member
1F8D6F8C-D342-4353-B6B1-E3551D528C42.png

damn.jpg

GottaLoveFooty

Frank Row (1)
Good evening Joey super fan, i didn't hear about wigs duck creek adventures however I think Head And Wiggins would go amazing in the tight 5 for the 16s Tahs

Query
Head copped a nasty concussion on Saturday coming up against Shore. Put to sleep after his cranium connected with an oppositions elbow. Missed out on a great biff right at the end. Sources say that Head claims he would have run in and performed the signature fly kick.

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
3rd XV Round 5 Preview
We are getting to the business end of the season, and this is a crucial round with only three weeks left in the comp. Theoretically, six teams can still win or share the premiership, but a few of those possibilities will be determined this Saturday. Grammar and Scots jointly lead the competition with a number of teams close by.

Riverview 3rd XV v Scots 3rd XV (1:00pm on Riverview 1)
Definitely match of the round as Scots travel to Lane Cove to take on Riverview, following Scots’ first loss of the season at Grammar last week. Riverview are only one competition point behind Scots on the table, so a win here keeps their premiership chances well and truly alive. They had a big win over TAS last round and drew with Shore the match before. Scots cannot afford two losses on the trot. They will likely need to win their last three matches to secure a second consecutive premiership. This match is almost too hard to pick, but I think the home field advantage and enthusiastic Riverview drum‑beating supporters will give Riverview a slight edge. Sure to be a cracking game.
Riverview by 2

Joeys 3rd XV v Kings 3rd XV (1:00pm on SJC No 1)
A critical match at Hunters Hill that will keep the slim premiership chance alive for one of these teams. Both Joeys and Kings have lost two matches, but they are both coming off good wins and are showing good form. Kings scored a great upset over Shore last week and Joeys easily accounted for High. Unfortunately, the loser here will be well and truly done for the season with three losses. With the home crowd and playing on the best field in the country, I believe that the Cerise & Blue can keep their slim premiership hopes alive. I will definitely be there to witness it.
Joeys by 5

Grammar 1st XV v TAS 1st XV (12:00pm on Weigall 1)
Grammar are flying high after knocking off the competition leaders last week and they have a pretty good run home as well. They would be hot favourites to overcome TAS at Rushcutters Bay, after TAS struggled against Riverview, losing 0-40 last week. But a word of warning – Grammar cannot take this match lightly. TAS can surprise and should not be underestimated. This is the final trip to Sydney for TAS this year. They will be pleased to have their final two matches at home in Armidale. All things being equal though, it should be another Grammar win.
Grammar comfortably

High 1st XV v Shore 3rd XV (11:00am on McKay Oval)
For High it has been another challenging season. They will be playing Shore, Grammar and Kings for their final three matches and there are no easy games there. The first of these is against Shore at McKay this Saturday. Shore will be looking to bounce back from their close loss at Kings last week, and a win here against High will keep them in touch with the competition leaders. High have fought well in recent rounds and will need another strong performance to stay in touch with a quality Shore outfit.
Shore by a decent margin

Good luck to all players for these round five fixtures.
INP

Mudgee Mudcrab

Stan Wickham (3)
16As Preview RD 8

Shore v Newington

Match of the round for these boys as it decides crucial ladder positions as all teams are running for their premierships. Shore being hot favourites but the return of Illiyaz Villiamu must be looming in the backs of their minds. A very strong Newington team with 7 boys in picked in the initial Waratahs u16 team. Shore has been very strong this year with the likes of Harry Murdoch, Joel Hamilford, Will Powell and Tully Robertson and are currently remaining undefeated in the GPS season games and got the win last time Shore and Newington faced in a nail biter 12-7 win for the Shoremen. My match up of the week in this game is Tully Robertson (E) and Jarryd King (N) the most intriguing as Tully was arguably robbed of GPS, NSW School and Waratahs u16 selections and as Jarryd made all those teams I see some very entertaining battles on the field. I see the Shore boys getting the win due to their huge amounts of tikka and bravery.

Joeys v Kings
Fairly easy prediction here with the Joe boys smashing the Kingsmen. After a strong win last week against Scots I cannot go past the Joe boys winning by at least 30 points. A fair few Joe boys absolutely robbed of a Waratahs U16 selection which will make them extremely hungry for this game against Kings. After a tough loss to the Shoremen last week I don't see the Kingsmen getting anywhere near the amount of points Joeys will put on. I see the tough match up of Angus Littler (J) also known as the Mudgee Mudcrab and Sam Buckley (K) the most entertaining of the week with both boys looking for spots in the opens teams next year.

Riverview v Scots
Two very strong teams here who are both at full throttle. Although both out of contention for the prem it will be a cracking game. The Riverview boys are back playing their game as last week they pumped Newington 38-0. With the inclusion of Isaac Perkins and Will Bowery back in the team they have looked strong and fierce. The Scots boys are also coming off a tough lost to St Joseph's who won 30-10. I see the match up between Tomma Tancred (I) and Hamish Bull (S) the match up of the week as Hamish has just made U16 Waratahs and may have taken the foot off the pedal whereas Tomma has been looming these last couple of weeks. I see the Riverview boys getting up by 5 points.

Goodluck to all teams in round 8 fixtures.

Yours Sincerely, Mudgee Mudcrab

WeloveFooty.com

Frank Row (1)
Head copped a nasty concussion on Saturday coming up against Shore. Put to sleep after his cranium connected with an oppositions elbow. Missed out on a great biff right at the end. Sources say that Head claims he would have run in and performed the signature fly kick.
Yet he was still able to raid the castle later, it isn't adding up. Word on the street is his street is the safest in bronte due to his defence antics when one tries to burgle.

The Prince

Allen Oxlade (6)
View attachment 20092

Tales from the Badger

“It is not the size of the dog in the fight…”

Kings v Joeys has been a match keenly followed since 1894. Kings were the original benchmark in schools’ rugby quickly followed by Sydney Grammar. The cerise and blue soon found their feet in 1904 with their first title and since then Joeys have been battling everyone for that shield, none more so than Kings. The Parramatta Kingsmen have a proud record in the AAGPS, second only to Joeys. Many great matches have been played between these ancient rivals. In 2010 one such match was memorable. It was indeed a David v Goliath occasion.

Kings in 2010 were brimming with talent would be an understatement. 10 Australian school boys in their team beating the seven Joeys had in 1990. To this day no other school has come close. The Kingsmen were imposing and incredibly strong. Backs like lightning mixed with superb team play, they were one of the best teams Kings have ever produced (NOTE- a bit of help from the Fathers Association was appreciated.) They carved their way through the AAGPS teams like a John Deere X9 1100 combine harvester through ripened wheat. Teams didn’t get close to them. Some would even wave the white flag as they ran out of replacements to cover their ever growing injured on the sideline. Joeys had already been belted in the trial game played at Les pâturages du ciel and now they were facing their oldest and most admired opponent at Castle Greyskull. Oh, this was predicted to be a blood bath. Kings at the castle, 10 AUS schoolboys, a pristine ground with no rain, blood in the air.

At the referee’s whistle both teams took that long run out to the cricket pitch to exchange pleasantries and get the game under way. Here is a summarised version of the match. Note I have removed most names.

Who is this old bloke?

View attachment 20093

Backstory. In 1981 Mr John Healy OAM started as the conditioner for the St Joseph’s 1st and 2nd XVs. 2010 marked 30 years of continuous service and this particular match marked the 200th first grade game for Mr Healy. The Joeys lads set out to dedicate this match to a man who has contributed so much to SJC rugby. What followed will be remembered as a special part of Joeys rugby history.

In the opening five minutes of the match King’s scored in the corner and lead 0-5. St Joseph’s hit back with some excellent tackling which seemed to unsettle the King’s pack. St Joseph’s looked for field position at every opportunity and the tactical kicking kept King’s pinned inside their own half for extended periods of play. A strong run down the left flank to again establish good territorial position for Joeys.

Shortly afterwards, while attacking through the forwards, Joeys were awarded a penalty which was kicked to make the score 3-5. With twelve minutes remaining in the half a further penalty goal by Walford gave Joeys a 6-5 lead. King’s responded and launched a strong attack, which was foiled by some outstanding defence and some long kicking from the fullback and 10.

In the closing stages of the first half King’s were awarded a penalty inside their own 22 metre line. They kicked long but failed to find touch. Matthew Hulme took the ball well inside the Joeys half. He then elected to attack. With tremendous speed, agility and determination he raced 65 metres, beating numerous defenders to score a magnificent individual try in the corner. The conversion failed and Joeys went to the break leading 11-5.

Matthew Hulmes try

The opening ten minutes of the second half saw Joeys clearly on top and almost scored on three occasions what would have been valuable points. However, the King’s defence was very sound, and they were able to repel Joeys attack and gain good field position for themselves. A penalty goal to King’s narrowed the score to 11-8. From the restart King’s attacked from deep inside their own half and almost scored what would have been an exceptional try. The Joeys 10 and regular kicker was forced from the field with injury and he was replaced.

King’s started to play with more authority and were rewarded when their fullback crossed in the corner for a fine try, which was converted making the score 11-15. Joeys responded with an excellent team try which, after ten phases of play five metres from the try line, Joeys scored in the corner. The kick was wide from the sideline making the score 18-15 with about six minutes remaining.

It was then King’s turn to attack. With minutes remaining King’s were able to regain the lead with a try in the corner by their left winger. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful and, with the score now at 18-20 and only a minute of play remaining, Joeys knew they needed possession. A penalty to King’s followed and all seemed lost. From the lineout Joeys was able to gain possession and took play just short of the 22-metre line.

From this breakdown St Joseph’s were awarded a penalty for an infringement by King’s. Angus Le Lievre came forward to take the attempt at goal. To the joy of the St Joseph’s supporters, he converted to make the score 21-20. Kings had one more chance but the kick off failed to go 10m and the referee whistled full time. St Joseph’s scored one of their most memorable victories for many years.

View attachment 20094
(L-R) Tim Andersen (Current Scots 1st XV coach), Mr John Healy, Jeremy Ticehurst (1st XV backs coach) and Br. Anthony (1st XV coach)

POST MATCH.

At the conclusion of the game the Joeys team ran over to the sideline to sing “Sub Tuum”. The fence was rushed by the 100’s students and soon the metal poles holding up the fence groaned in protest and gave way spilling boys on to the oval. Fortunately, no one was hurt. The fence was repaired by Joeys but mysteriously some of the old, wooden fence palings disappeared overnight with one now somehow on display in Jacks Bar at Joeys.

View attachment 20095
Amazing story joker. Love the stories from the wise old badger.

-Prince

Mudgee Mudcrab

Stan Wickham (3)
I'd be interested in hearing who in the Waratahs 16s should have missed out and a Joe boy taken their place.... Not trying to cause an argument, genuinely interested.
I believe that Henry Troy (Winger) Angus Littler (Prop) Xavier Ryan (Halfback) and Finn Leary (Hooker) not sure who I would take out of the team as I did not attend all games played.

Status
Not open for further replies.