• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Chairman

Ron Walden (29)
With so many rep games I have decided to focus on four games this coming Friday.
Last year the GPS 3rds and 4ths were upset in their games.
The Sydney team in particular contained a number of ex-AAGPS boys who were playing 1st Colts and we under the age of 19.
Here it is for this week.
GET THEM IN EARLY please.

View attachment 19606
AAGPS First XV +16
AAGPS Second XV +28
SJRU +2
AAGPS White +12

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
When you look at the GPS Blue and White teams and consider some Grammar players are selected they really should give consideration to the 2s teams from the stronger schools. I’d dare say Joeys and Scots 2s would have better candidates in many positions than those selected, more so when you consider but for a coach bias or perhaps early season form or injury many would be playing 1s anyway. Food for thought.

Where's the beef

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys with one hand and 4 fingers on the trophy. Pretty hard to see them losing 2 games next term.
I am not sure, Here is why.

1. Despite the results Scots are dangerous. At the Hill particularly.
2. Kings have been difficult and remain the only side to beat Joeys. However, at the Park I would expect Joeys to collect this one well particularly in the dry.
3. Shore: Very little in the first game all be it in terrible rain and 1 game after Joeys were bested by Kings. At Northbridge they will challenge.
4. View: They are always hard defensively. They Held Joeys well at Hunters Hill and probably out enthused them both on and off the field. Not many points in them, they they also have very solid defensively

Now the Joeys, yesterday was the most complete performance I have seen. For get the last 2 minutes, the game was won. but, New were belted in all facets except the scrum where they had a points win. They play like that, they will be very very hard to stop. On a dry track, even harder if the Scotts game at HH is a fair representation of the sides ability.

With 4 rounds to go, there is still plenty to play for. If Joeys win at Bellevue Hill, then I think they will take the chocolates. But, funny things happen at Bellevue Hill and nobody has said that Scots lack talent. At Joeys, you expect to win. If you don't you find it hard. So, confidence and belief are important factors here. Joeys go into the break with both, but, the break gives all teams time to reset.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
When you look at the GPS Blue and White teams and consider some Grammar players are selected they really should give consideration to the 2s teams from the stronger schools. I’d dare say Joeys and Scots 2s would have better candidates in many positions than those selected, more so when you consider but for a coach bias or perhaps early season form or injury many would be playing 1s anyway. Food for thought.
1. I believe they already considered exceptional 2nd XV players.
2. Is it that hard to believe that Grammar, High or TAS may have 1 or 2 players that are high quality or have the potential to develop if given these opportunities.

PBear

Peter Burge (5)
1st XV Ladder.png

2nd XV Ladder.png

3rd XV Ladder.png

Where's the beef

Herbert Moran (7)
Here we go again...
No, we don't. I m an old Joe boy in my mid 50's. My son is there at the moment and I generally am watching in the opposition area next to the Joey boys as my son told me in year 7 that I could not sit next to him so I placed myself where I could see him.

This is a tight comp and a good comp. The weather has had its influences as well.

Now the 2nd XV game at Bellevue Hill between Joeys and Scots should settle that comp. Joeys will be mad at losing at Hunters Hill (they were not the better side that day, but equally there was not much in it) I look forward to that one, but don't look forward to finding the car par.k.

PS the pies at Joeys were good yesterday.

The Cleaner

Sydney Middleton (9)
Won the lineouts but lost two tightheads and no scrum dominance. Once Fonua off Lavercombe was only effective carrier. We defended well but Scots made all the running, both in tight and out wide.
Only four games to go and I believe the coaches have always used this as a development year where they’ve performed above expectations.
Selections are a funny thing (just see Scots) and I don’t think we’ve seen the best (available) teams selected by TKS with talent still in 2s and 3s but c’est la vie.
Kings have lacked size in the forwards which has influenced several positions and the backs depth, particularly pace out wide, is shallow.
Is setting up ‘25/6 well though.
How many TKS forwards are picked in the GPS side? That’s should speak for itself.

Srgnt Short Ball

Herbert Moran (7)
No, we don't. I m an old Joe boy in my mid 50's. My son is there at the moment and I generally am watching in the opposition area next to the Joey boys as my son told me in year 7 that I could not sit next to him so I placed myself where I could see him.

This is a tight comp and a good comp. The weather has had its influences as well.

Now the 2nd XV game at Bellevue Hill between Joeys and Scots should settle that comp. Joeys will be mad at losing at Hunters Hill (they were not the better side that day, but equally there was not much in it) I look forward to that one, but don't look forward to finding the car par.k.

PS the pies at Joeys were good yesterday.
always great to see humility from old boys, the whole 'my schools better than your school' retoric is quite frankly worn out. I do also agree that It is entirely possible for Joeys to drop a few games next term, possibly to Shore, Scots, or even view from the dark depths of 6 place. Anything is possible in schoolboy rugby and leaderboards often shift in the blink of an eye.

The Cleaner

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agree, interesting to see if Kings coaches bring in 2nds/3rds players to bolster. If indeed planned to be a development year coaches need to be realistic. You can't expect to win the comp based on that statement and fall back on "we were written off"
How many of those TKS 2nd and 3rd players made any GPS side? That’s should provide some clarity around selections in TKS.

CutOutBallFanatic

Herbert Moran (7)
always great to see humility from old boys, the whole 'my schools better than your school' retoric is quite frankly worn out. I do also agree that It is entirely possible for Joeys to drop a few games next term, possibly to Shore, Scots, or even view from the dark depths of 6 place. Anything is possible in schoolboy rugby and leaderboards often shift in the blink of an eye.
This season especially. In my eyes, I still believe any team is good enough to beat the other. Also, it is too early to call Joey's winning the comp, yet to play almost every team again. Whilst I do agree they are favourites anything can happen.

Cheers,
- Fanatic

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
1. I believe they already considered exceptional 2nd XV players.
2. Is it that hard to believe that Grammar, High or TAS may have 1 or 2 players that are high quality or have the potential to develop if given these opportunities
They only look at 2s players that have played a lot in comp. As for point 2, yes I agree but not more than a good 2s player at a school with depth. Head to head the best players should get picked and I would wager there are good players in Joeys and Scots 2s that would give a lot of 1s players at other schools a run for their $.

shaquille_oatmeal

Stan Wickham (3)
Watching Shore v View yesterday it looked like View's players were going for individual highlight reels, really disappointing as a supporter to see so much individualism when you have 14 other players with you on the field. Hopefully they can sort this out over the coming weeks.

Doing my HSC

Peter Burge (5)
Just watched the highlights of the View V Shore game and Shore were the better team, fought hard for the win.

However, noticed at the end of the game Shore 10 standing over a view player who was taken to ground during a maul to end the game, giving him a bit of lip and pushing the view boys around

Bit of a coward act in my opinion, good to see a few of the other shore boys break this up though such as the 6 and the 7

shaquille_oatmeal

Stan Wickham (3)

The difficulty with Grammar is that their 1s average to 3s level overall but contain players that are both a fair bit better and worse than that level. For context, there was only a 1s and 2s team there a few years ago compared to others with 10+, so I'm happy they acknowledge those players who play at that level but could play higher at other schools.