• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
I felt stronger today. Needed to write. Enjoy.

08F64D77-3A47-4762-B554-E0D7974513C6.jpeg

A preview from the wise, old Badger

St Joseph’s College v Newington College at Les pâturages du ciel

Bom, boom, boom….

The sound of warrior drums echo across the still morning dawn of Sydney’s harbour waters.

Boom, boom, boom….

Steadily across each day the drums grow brasher, louder with menacing intent. The war kalia of the Wookie tribe launch their journey from the great boatshed at Abbotsford, down the Parramatta river towards their invasion zone on the banks Lane Cove. All the while…. boom, boom, boom. The drums send echoes resounding across the lavish riverside enclave of Hunters Hill and echo from the walls of the great sandstone asylum on the hill top. And sleeping in their beds, the cattle dogs subconsciously absorb the drum’ message… The Wookies are coming.

It was this wise old Badger who first suggested that if the Wvyvern Dragon was awoken from its long, dormant slumber then the poor opposition shall feel the wrath of the warriors. My little birds at Newington are whispering to me that New are now spoiling for a premiership. It is not beyond them. While they do possess some incredible talent in the backline, it will be up to their tight 8 to get the job done. While imposing in size and strength, it will be their aerobic ability that will be challenged. Having a misfiring lineout is a concern as Joeys do have a very stable one and an uncanny ability to spoil. Last weekend Riverview displayed their aerial superiority at the set piece including an amazing referee swaying travelling pack of wolves on the Joeys throw. Newington will not have to deal with such lunacy, but will need to focus on consistency. The scrum will place a great deal of pressure on the dogs, but if it is a dry track the dogs should hold their own ball. If passes stick, tackles made and belief is kindled I can see Newington doing well. But just like a souffle that rises once, can they make it thrice?

And what of the pesky Cattle dogs? If there is anything that Joeys can do well, is to adapt to a game and be smart enough to employ plan B. Wet weather is the Achilles heel of Joeys. The Kings game taught them valuable lessons. The past three weeks have educated Joeys to adapt to the playing conditions. View was all over the Joe boys in most departments last Saturday. Good luck and maybe divine intervention saved them even more first half blushes. In the second half, they instigated a improved plan with the highlight being the Joeys 10 kicking game. His booming and laser like kicks were aimed at the corners daring View to kick the ball out. If they kicked back, Joeys took the return kick almost 20-30m upfield from where they had belted earlier. In the final minutes of the game, it revealed that Joeys persistence had won the battle as View refused to kick. View’s once dominant forward play was tired and the cattle dogs just kept on running as they did for the first 25 minutes of the match when View had enough ball to win three games. Yes, there was some luck, but as my dad told me, “I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.”

The weekend’s game will be played on the perennially immaculate heaven’s pasture. This piece of Olympic green (long story) has always been the secret weapon for Joeys. A playing surface that articulates, “speed” and provides sure footing even in a flood, the Joeys game plan has always to play a speed and move bigger warriors around. It will be a change from playing on runway 1 at Stanmore International. While smaller than the Newington, Joeys forward never stop turning up. If you recall Joeys v Scots game, the Scots boys were chasing cerise all game. Finally, Joeys use of forwards as additional ball players will be key. All can pass, read a situation and respond instinctively. The final ingredient to a possible success will be the #16thman in the stands. They will need to bloody well fire up after being bested by the lunatic’s last weekend. (Congratulations Riverview) C’mon lads, “Ancient Words” sounds like a dirge late in a game. “Walk On’ should be loud enough to wake up the coma patients at the Royal North Shore Hospital. The noise must inspire the players. Get your energy up, raise the voices, get “angry” and blow the roof off old “Henry”.

Joeys by 3 meat pies (my they were very good last week)

Side note.

In 1981 I was fortunate to be on the fence for the SJC v TSC match. Late in the game about the 93rdminute mark (according to Subbies) Joeys started a chant that went for ages and just got louder and louder. So loud in fact, my cousins who were playing tennis at SIC could hear the clamour clearly. The cheering was so very, very loud. It also worked.

The ball comes to Tonkin… the final siren sounds…. drop kick let fly…. Pandemonium…Mary smiles

Last edited:

viewontop

Frank Row (1)
Already Boys have openly said to the TSC 1stXV coaches they don't want to go up! it's pretty bad at TSC......mind you every season seems to be the same.... nothing changes
It does appear that the Scots 2XV are playing great footy and by the looks of it enjoying it but I do doubt that boys have turned down playing for the firsts. Interested as to where you are hearing this.

Rugbynbeers

Darby Loudon (17)
Kings HM doesn't, but the 2IC did for a long time, he used to coach the 2nds but doesn't this year. I'm not sure if he has picked up a team in a lower age group. I'd say all Kings teachers are given a coaching responsibility of some sort, but that covers the other sports obviously. I don't think Phippsy coaches a team but that would be because he has too much else to do, not because he doesn't want to. There are 'gappies' and other outsiders e.g. Charlie Cale helped out with the 15As a few years ago. The Hilgendorfs certainly run the show at the top end though.

all kings full time staff have to take a summer and winter sport. They are matched with external coaches who are almost always old boys of the school or externals.

in regards to the headmaster he does not take a team, however the head of senior school does as he has for the last few years taken a 13s team.

but yes the Hilgendorfs alongside Stuart Woodhouse run the show

viewontop

Frank Row (1)
Give Weir and Sinclair a go. They are both year 11 boys and will give them good experience for 2025.
I agree they have been great, Weir especially and it will be great to watch him in a couple of weeks playing for one of the u16s GPS teams. Sinclair has been great but I do think that Will Johnson is the best option for playing 10 and have Large at fullback. What about Bartlett he's been good in the 2nds.

Mosmanwhale

Bob McCowan (2)
It does appear that the Scots 2XV are playing great footy and by the looks of it enjoying it but I do doubt that boys have turned down playing for the firsts. Interested as to where you are hearing this.
This person is not hearing this, they are making it up. I would suggest a disgruntled parent who is trying their best to derail the program.

The Front Rower

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree they have been great, Weir especially and it will be great to watch him in a couple of weeks playing for one of the u16s GPS teams. Sinclair has been great but I do think that Will Johnson is the best option for playing 10 and have Large at fullback. What about Bartlett he's been good in the 2nds.
Maybe few more year 11 as well Just good experience for them for 2025

Steve_Grey

Larry Dwyer (12)
There is a fine line though between playing to give kids that deserve to be there and good enough to be there a go and just giving in for the year. Hopefully they don't give up and admit defeat as they still have a lot to play for.
You play your best team to win each match - TSC fell in to the 'let's give experience to Y11s' trap last year - the best team is not always the best individuals either.

I read on here before some quote by a former TSC coach saying a team of Y12s will nearly always beat a team Y11s.

When you try and hatch a plan around getting Y11s ready for next year, the best approach is to have only those on merit in the 1s, and the rest on merit in the 2s.

Last edited:

Billy McGee

Peter Burge (5)
Its definitely up there No? In my eyes top 2 at least. Would love to hear some other thoughts though?

Cheers,
- Fanatic
They’re working very well as a unit.
Good balance of size and speed and players doing their jobs.
Always controversial when labelling anything “the best” but agree that they are playing as a pack rather than as individuals and that is all you want from the lads up front