• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Although they are a fellow GPS school,

Who actually cares about TAS.

My father played in the TAS 1st XV in 1955. He played four games against Sydney teams.
Back then they traveled on the mail train to Sydney. Usually 12-13 hours.
They would leave at 7pm and traveled through the night.
Dinner was prepared sandwiches and thermos of hot chocolate.
It was very cold and sleep was hard but they managed. Dad said they would layer up in all the clothes they had.
They would arrive at central at 8am, travel by bus to the venue and play that afternoon.
Then the bus would take them to Central or Strathfield for the evening train back home.
Again they slept on the train. Normally the hosting school put on a spread for them before they left.
Dad would stuff his pockets full of food, a skill he passed onto me it seems.
Sunday was spent asleep in the dormitory.

I care.

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
1717924285229.png

The Chairman

Cyril Towers (30)
Although they are a fellow GPS school,

Who actually cares about TAS.

- Cheeky
TAS will always have a special place in my heart. I remember back when I was a younger lad when I partook in the first ever TAS Rugby Carnival. We shared our dorm with some Knox lads, and friendships that last to this day were formed. They are always welcoming and gracious towards everyone.

Syd

Allen Oxlade (6)
TAS will always have a special place in my heart. I remember back when I was a younger lad when I partook in the first ever TAS Rugby Carnival. We shared our dorm with some Knox lads, and friendships that last to this day were formed. They are always welcoming and gracious towards everyone.
Amen Chaiman, good lads who learnt the lessons rugby had to teach in victory and defeat.

TheScorer2

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone think Shore can stop their downward spiral of defeat against Scots? The two sides both have had some disruptive losses within the past few weeks. Is there any hope left for Shore if they can't get the job done next weekend or will they be done for the season?

PROPaganda

Herbert Moran (7)
Does anyone think Shore can stop their downward spiral of defeat against Scots? The two sides both have had some disruptive losses within the past few weeks. Is there any hope left for Shore if they can't get the job done next weekend or will they be done for the season?
Of course there’s hope. Shore have been in the contest in every game they have played and now they are playing against what seems to be the weakest team of the lot. Not a guaranteed win, but absolutely there is hope.

PROPaganda

Herbert Moran (7)
Crazy to think the difference that one game makes, even in the much larger 10 game competition. Joeys and Shore were almost impossible to split on Thursday arvo and if the result tipped the other way then both schools would be 2-2. Instead, one is on the top of the ladder on 3-1 and one sits on the bottom with 1-3. Every game matters!

CheekyHooker

Chris McKivat (8)
Crazy to think the difference that one game makes, even in the much larger 10 game competition. Joeys and Shore were almost impossible to split on Thursday arvo and if the result tipped the other way then both schools would be 2-2. Instead, one is on the top of the ladder on 3-1 and one sits on the bottom with 1-3. Every game matters!
Most definitely,

I think Scots and Shore's game means heaps for both of the teams, If Shore looses there is still hope but they might need a serious comeback and if Scots doesn't then it will put them in a similar place like Shore is now. I think the match could be super close and hard fought, just like Newington's match with Kings, if Newington wants to put their name in the lights then this game is big and I think Kings are going to give them a run for their money. King's having the home advantage will defiantly make them a stronger force in the coming week. Looking forward to this intese footy.

- Cheeky

PROPaganda

Herbert Moran (7)
Most definitely,

I think Scots and Shore's game means heaps for both of the teams, If Shore looses there is still hope but they might need a serious comeback and if Scots doesn't then it will put them in a similar place like Shore is now. I think the match could be super close and hard fought, just like Newington's match with Kings, if Newington wants to put their name in the lights then this game is big and I think Kings are going to give them a run for their money. King's having the home advantage will defiantly make them a stronger force in the coming week. Looking forward to this intese footy.

- Cheeky
I have to disagree with this. If Shore loses this Saturday, then unfortunately all hope will be lost. I think the winning team will need around 7 wins this year and that will put it far out of Shores reach. Many will argue that Shore’s season ended last Thursday.

Billy McGee

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have to disagree with this. If Shore loses this Saturday, then unfortunately all hope will be lost. I think the winning team will need around 7 wins this year and that will put it far out of Shores reach. Many will argue that Shore’s season ended last Thursday.
Agree with you @PROPaganda - I think any team will need a minimum of 2 wins (and more realistically 3) by the end of round 5 if they are to have a realistic premiership contention.

PROPaganda

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree with you @PROPaganda - I think any team will need a minimum of 2 wins (and more realistically 3) by the end of round 5 if they are to have a realistic premiership contention.
I think Shore and Scots will have to win all 6 remaining games to win the comp. A huge task, but I wouldn’t rule it out considering they have shown they can be in every game. Especially Shore, it would be interesting to see the percentage of games this season that they have been leading, I would imagine it’s up near 80%.

CheekyHooker

Chris McKivat (8)
I think Shore and Scots will have to win all 6 remaining games to win the comp. A huge task, but I wouldn’t rule it out considering they have shown they can be in every game. Especially Shore, it would be interesting to see the percentage of games this season that they have been leading, I would imagine it’s up near 80%.
100% with you Prop, I reckon being ahead in about 80% of their games must speak volumes about the potential they have.

However Shore are certainly in a bit of a pickle now it seems - absolutely, winning all 6 remaining games is a monumental task for both Shore and Scots, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility given some of their performances in past seasons....

The Shore boys displayed resilience and competitiveness, seen in their recent game against SJC. Tis worth noting that both Shore and Scots have had their cage rattled by Newington. Newington's unique style of footy has tested their limits and exposed some vulnerabilities that both schools may need to address moving forward.

Shore might have a marginal edge though - Scots inability to adapt under pressure may not see them through these challenging fixtures. Just a question how bad Shore want to get their act together...

- Cheeky

Steve_Grey

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't think TSC has worked out its best run-on 15 players yet, and their optimal positions.

Quite why they didn't use the trials to work that out, only the coaches know. With such a short season, they appear guilty of sticking with players and formations that don't work for too long, then are panicked into a major reshuffle - but too late.

Very reminiscent of last year where they stuck with losing team selections until the last 3 or 4 games - but the damage was done.

CheekyHooker

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't think TSC has worked out its best run-on 15 players yet, and their optimal positions.

Quite why they didn't use the trials to work that out, only the coaches know. With such a short season, they appear guilty of sticking with players and formations that don't work for too long, then are panicked into a major reshuffle - but too late.

Very reminiscent of last year where they stuck with losing team selections until the last 3 or 4 games - but the damage was done.
Important that you mention this Steve,

Mistakes have been made and whats done is done now - leaving very little room for much needed experimentation. Tis impossible one cannot ponder why the trials weren't utilised more effectively to address this.

Does somebody know of any issues going on within the TSC coaching staff? Perhaps TSC 1st XV coaches could bite the bullet, making bold moves with their formations as they can't afford to wait until the final few games to shake things up. Large's return could add a bit of confidence in the way of victory as well.

If they choose to let things unfold the way they are, history may repeat itself.....

- Cheeky

Last edited:

CheekyHooker

Chris McKivat (8)
Gents,

Something I have often pondered in recent years, is with the year round commitment which playing opens rugby is these days. The multi sport athletes are becoming few and far between... I leave it open to the forum to list some of the best multi sport athletes going around in the GPS at the moment. I believe these athletes deserve real recognition for their immense commitment to their school.

Here are a few I am aware of:
Gus Grover (SIC): 1st Rugby, 1st Cricket
Will Johnston (TSC): 1st Rugby, 1st Cricket, Athletics
Luca Cleverly (NC): 1st Rugby, 1st Basketball

Would love to hear some other ones
Cheers, howgood.
Howgood,

You may have missed some seriously commendable ones:

Tom Whalan (TKS) 1st Rowing, 1st Rugby
Cooper Habler (NC) 1st Waterpolo, 1st Rugby
Will Farrah (TKS) 1sts Rowing, 1sts Rugby

Im sure there are many more athletic specimens out there...

- Cheeky

Last edited:

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Would love to hear some other ones
Cheers, howgood.

Ok, this fella is old but is the greatest schoolboy athlete in AAGPS history.
I had the honour to pick his memory recently.
Sharp as a tack and recalled even my dad who pushed the Joeys mile runner. Both broke the AAGPS record.

Jim McCann
1st XI- 1955 (Premiers), 1956, 1957
1st XV- 1955, 1956, 1957 (champions x 3)
Athletics- 1955, 1956, 1957 (champions x 3) (World Schoolboy Record for the 100 yards in 9.6 seconds and long jump 7.4m)

McCann.jpg

Beating D. Bursill from Scots in the 220 yards in 21.8 seconds

Last edited: