• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

TheManTheMyth

Stan Wickham (3)
3 months later......So what do you say now about all those YR 10 BOYS FROM TKS playing up? TKS has the MOST YR 10 playing in the open!

a (not very in depth) review of all the Kings 16s talent...

1sts:
Risati (13/15):
- Very solid
- 2 crucial kicks to ice the game in the last 2 games (both in rain)
- in play kicking game is superb

Bloomfield (3):
- Dangerous with the ball
- hard to slow down
- One of Kings best players

Smith (2):
- Holds his own
- smart player

2nds:
Taylor (10)
- Very talented
- Great vision & IQ

Davies (8):
- Played 1s vs TSC & Shore
- Defended well and held his own against bigger boys
- Proof 'of size doesn't matter'

Matthews (1):
- Very big
- strong carrier
- great defence

El Kurdi (11):
- shifty
- great 1 on 1
- was a big standout when playing 16s

TBelly

Frank Row (1)

Attachments

• IMG_4226.jpeg
    IMG_4226.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 198

Rookie21

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hey lads, apologies for the radio silence. Just been settling into my new home in the UK. By the looks of things, the competition looks to have become even more interesting. Heartbroken as Shore fall agonisingly short once again. I'm really hoping they can start to come out on the other side of these coin toss results. Kings are turning into the surprise packets it seems.

runningrugbyrules

Ted Fahey (11)
Are you watching the same game's as everyone else? Gough is smaller than Conick and is more of a hard-hitup inside centre, while Conick is rather more of a skilled facilitator for the back line alongside the flyhalf Bassingthwaite, who is also a facilitator but also quite skilled and plays with flair and spark, like a young Kurtley Beale. Saying kicking is not considered by the GPS selectors may be a fair point regarding penalties as in representative games where players are trying to highlight themselves instead of play it safe and win the game penalties are not the priority, however kicking in general play is undoubtedly considered by GPS selectors as that is going to happen in almost all top level union games (even in the wet) and is a great indicator of kicking ability (just look at DCE's kicking, people recognise his 40-20's, not his goal kicking).

I'd also like to say that those suggesting Taggart will take the hooker jersey for GPS 1's must be exclusively from SJC. He is one of the smaller Hookers in the comp and is not as impactful in game's compared to other 2's in the comp. Is he not year 11? If so he'll almost certainly not be in GPS 1's this year, but rather next year as he's still got time for representative schoolboy in 2025.
1. I think you’re the one not watching the same games as everyone else, only you’re watching Shores delusions of grandeur again. Comparing him to young Kurtley Beale ????????? Ummm they are human, have two arms, two legs, an 10 on their jersey and they play rugby. That’s where the comparisons end !
I‘m not having a go at the kid because there is only about 2/3 No.10’s I’ve seen with Beale‘s flair and Spark. But just as I rate the current Joeys No.7 I’m not delusional he’s no Phil Waugh. Decent player but not in the Top 3 No.10’s this year.

2. As for.. Gough is “more of a hard hit up inside centre”, although your premise is correct (and my main desired trait for any 12 ) as he consistently carried defenders with him past the advantage line numerous times on Saturday and every game this year, you’ve missed that he also can run. He’s a reminder beating 2, stepping a 3rd & 4th to score. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C73YAOgy1zf/?igsh=MTRnNzh3b2U4YndxMg==
I personally think GPS selectors should and will pick a dominant 12 attacker & defender over a facilitator. Although the season has a while to be decided, the GPS team that is coming first in August probably will at least have its best back (and forward) in GPS 1sts. Gough is Joeys best back and if they come first, he’ll be picked.

3. What are you’re talking about regarding Taggart as a hooker, as he’s a prop. I don’t have firm opinions on GPS 1sts front rowers but I definitely don’t understand why year 11 boys shouldn’t be picked. If they’re good enough they’re in. In fact the kings prop from Oakhill is under 16’s and Taumoepeau should both be picked if good enough.

2024 GPS TEAM OF THE YEAR

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (R)
4. Brial (S)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. LeMaitre (E)
8. Taumoepeau (J)
9. Grover (R)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Hartman (R)
14. Fittler (S)
15. Jacques (S)

I obviously would play some out of position to get the best team possible

I don’t really care about the actual GPS 1st XV but instead the GPS TEAM OF THE YEAR
To tell you the truth any team without NRL signed players is a waste of time and a 3/4th GPS team at best in reality (except the tight 5 obviously). Same with Aust U/18 Schoolboys, no league players, no best team

Just like with Sua‘alili, I’d rather play these blokes in the reps now in the hope they convert to rugby one day like Rogers, Tuquiri, Walker, Nawaqanitawase, Sua‘alili, Etc. In fact with ARU negoatiating a rugby championship in QATAR, they’ll likely have the money to buy league converts back one day.

In fact last night I watched the best schoolboy in the country Mitch Woods (St.Pats) play for Bulldogs U/21 v Rabbits and rip them to
shreds, I’m a Joeys boy and been watching them since Junee/Cairns along through with Burke, Jorgenson, Kelaher, Thompson, Kennedy, Devine, Burgess, Beale, Wright, Jorgenson Jr, Leahy, Sharples. Woods is as good as any of them, and it’s a shame he doesn’t get a crack against NZ. He was the best player for Gen Blue U16 two years ago and now won’t get a chance to play for his state or country if available. I‘d pick him and who knows he might come back one and win us a Bledisloe

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
1. I think you’re the one not watching the same games as everyone else, only you’re watching Shores delusions of grandeur again. Comparing him to young Kurtley Beale ????????? Ummm they are human, have two arms, two legs, an 10 on their jersey and they play rugby. That’s where the comparisons end !
I‘m not having a go at the kid because there is only about 2/3 No.10’s I’ve seen with Beale‘s flair and Spark. But just as I rate the current Joeys No.7 I’m not delusional he’s no Phil Waugh. Decent player but not in the Top 3 No.10’s this year.

2. As for.. Gough is “more of a hard hit up inside centre”, although your premise is correct (and my main desired trait for any 12 ) as he consistently carried defenders with him past the advantage line numerous times on Saturday and every game this year, you’ve missed that he also can run. He’s a reminder beating 2, stepping a 3rd & 4th to score. https://www.instagram.com/reel/C73YAOgy1zf/?igsh=MTRnNzh3b2U4YndxMg==
I personally think GPS selectors should and will pick a dominant 12 attacker & defender over a facilitator. Although the season has a while to be decided, the GPS team that is coming first in August probably will at least have its best back (and forward) in GPS 1sts. Gough is Joeys best back and if they come first, he’ll be picked.

3. What are you’re talking about regarding Taggart as a hooker, as he’s a prop. I don’t have firm opinions on GPS 1sts front rowers but I definitely don’t understand why year 11 boys shouldn’t be picked. If they’re good enough they’re in. In fact the kings prop from Oakhill is under 16’s and Taumoepeau should both be picked if good enough.

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (R)
4. Brial (S)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. LeMaitre (E)
8. Taumoepeau (J)
9. Grover (R)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Hartman (R)
14. Fittler (S)
15. Jacques (S)

I don’t really care about the actual GPS 1st XV but instead the GPS TEAM OF THE YEAR
To tell you the truth any team without NRL signed players is a waste of time and a 3/4th GPS team at best in reality (except the tight 5 obviously). Same with Aust U/18 Schoolboys, no league players, no best team

Just like with Sua‘alili, I’d rather play these blokes in the reps now in the hope they convert to rugby one day like Rogers, Tuquiri, Walker, Nawaqanitawase, Sua‘alili, Etc. In fact with ARU negoatiating a rugby championship in QATAR, they’ll likely have the money to buy league converts back one day.

In fact last night I watched the best schoolboy in the country Mitch Woods (St.Pats) play for Bulldogs U/21 v Rabbits and rip them to
shreds, I’m a Joeys boy and been watching them since Junee/Cairns along through with Burke, Jorgenson, Kelaher, Thompson, Kennedy, Devine, Burgess, Beale, Wright, Jorgenson Jr, Leahy, Sharples. Woods is as good as any of them, and it’s a shame he doesn’t get a crack against NZ. He was the best player for Gen Blue U16 two years ago and now won’t get a chance to play for his state or country if available. I‘d pick him and who knows he might come back one and win us a Bledisloe
I am in agreeance with you 100%.
We’ve spent too long in the dark whingeing about league converts and league taking everything from us. Boo hoo.
If I had another crack and was good enough, I’d probably take the money on offer from league as well. Professional setup, professional coaching and not just for the game but media, I’m setting myself up as a brand.
Mitch Woods may be the #1 name in rugby league in 5-7 years time and if we provide him with opportunities, who knows if a carrot of a rwc might entice him back.

Plus, give me an ISA back line with Sam Blank, Joe Walsh, Mitch Woods, Alex Conti, Mitch Holmes, Tylan Berryman in it and you’ve got a highlight reel that sells rugby again.
Those guys up against Jonty Fowler, Leo Jacques, Onitini Large, Zac Fittler, Gus Grover, Tom Hartman, Heamasi Makasini….
Wow!!!! That’s a game I’d pay to see

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (R)
4. Brial (S)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. LeMaitre (E)
8. Taumoepeau (J)
9. Grover (R)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Hartman (R)
14. Fittler (S)
15. Jacques (S)

Right can we please all get this right.

AAGPS SCHOOL CODE

J - Joeys
I - Riverview
E - Shore
S - Scots
N - Newington
K - Kings
G - Grammar
H - High
A - Armidale

Last edited:

UpnUnder

Fred Wood (13)
We’ve spent too long in the dark whingeing about league converts and league taking everything from us. Boo hoo.
If I had another crack and was good enough, I’d probably take the money on offer from league as well. Professional setup, professional coaching and not just for the game but media, I’m setting myself up as a brand.
Mitch Woods may be the #1 name in rugby league in 5-7 years time and if we provide him with opportunities, who knows if a carrot of a rwc might entice him back.

Plus, give me an ISA back line with Sam Blank, Joe Walsh, Mitch Woods, Alex Conti, Mitch Holmes, Tylan Berryman in it and you’ve got a highlight reel that sells rugby again.
Those guys up against Jonty Fowler, Leo Jacques, Onitini Large, Zac Fittler, Gus Grover, Tom Hartman, Heamasi Makasini….
The schools associations should pick their best players. Beyond that, there is no logical reason for Gen Blue to select an NRL contracted player, certainly not on the basis that they might come back in the future. The only carrot that will lure that player back in the future is the almighty dollar.

As an aside, should a professionally contracted athlete be allowed to participate in an amateur school boy competition?

shaquille_oatmeal

Bob McCowan (2)
The schools associations should pick their best players. Beyond that, there is no logical reason for Gen Blue to select an NRL contracted player, certainly not on the basis that they might come back in the future. The only carrot that will lure that player back in the future is the almighty dollar.

As an aside, should a professionally contracted athlete be allowed to participate in an amateur school boy competition?
For the most part, they're only professionally contracted due to the NRL's eagerness to develop and expand its player base, union should be doing this but they don't bother, it seems arrogant and lazy. I remember footballers and AFL players contracted through academies and teams whilst in high school, but Rugby AU doesn't make the same effort.

I'd go on a longer point but essentially I find that union teams are just the wrong size, we have shute shield teams which are received as a premier local teams and then super rugby teams which are out of touch with this level of players, league's teams are local enough and individual enough to pursue these players, whilst Rugby AU is too big and wide-reaching to effectively get players at this level.

UpnUnder

Fred Wood (13)
For the most part, they're only professionally contracted due to the NRL's eagerness to develop and expand its player base, union should be doing this but they don't bother, it seems arrogant and lazy. I remember footballers and AFL players contracted through academies and teams whilst in high school, but Rugby AU doesn't make the same effort.

I'd go on a longer point but essentially I find that union teams are just the wrong size, we have shute shield teams which are received as a premier local teams and then super rugby teams which are out of touch with this level of players, league's teams are local enough and individual enough to pursue these players, whilst Rugby AU is too big and wide-reaching to effectively get players at this level.
They are professionally contracted, meaning have an obligation to, there is no qualifier to that statement. Rugby is actually very active now, there are substantial numbers signed to academies before the end of school. There really ought to be a proper review of the situation. All the school associations should be on the same page as should the game generally.

Backintheolddays

Darby Loudon (17)

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (R)
4. Brial (S)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. LeMaitre (E)
8. Taumoepeau (J)
9. Grover (R)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Hartman (R)
14. Fittler (S)
15. Jacques (S)

I know this forum is dominated by kids from certain schools and everyone has their biases, selectors certainly do too.
I'm a LeMaitre fan over the years but he has not stood out from the crowd this year, incumbency will likely get him the selection.
Wet weather has played havoc with any backs ability to show their true wares so it is very open aside from likely the View 9, who still over plays his hand at times. Jacques at pace in space is wonderful to watch.
Any team that doesn't have Fonua the TKS 8 in it somewhere demonstrates either bias, lack of objectivity, or elite level selection inexperience. For a young TKS team (which the wet weather has helped) currently second on the table Fonua has been a rock in defence, easily the best hard yards ball carrier in every game he has played this year on either side (including against Brial and Taumopeau), good for a couple of pilfers, game smarts and with a high workrate. Coaches need impact and workrate.
The hardest person to replace is Cleverley who is maturing nicely both as a carrier and hitter. I imagine 6 is where we'll see someone square pegged. I think both Brial and Fonua as wasted in the 2nd row and there is some depth and size in the row across Graham, Greer, Thiel.
Front row no clear standouts imo, been impressed with the young Kings boys but no moreso than others.

Last edited:

Billy McGee

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know this forum is dominated by kids from certain schools and everyone has their biases, selectors certainly do too.
I'm a LeMaitre fan over the years but he has not stood out from the crowd this year, incumbency will likely get him the selection.
Wet weather has played havoc with any backs ability to show their true wares so it is very open aside from likely the View 9, who still over plays his hand at times. Jacques at pace in space is wonderful to watch.
Any team that doesn't have Fonua the TKS 8 in it somewhere demonstrates either bias, lack of objectivity, or outright incompetence. For a young TKS team (which the wet weather has helped) currently second on the table Fonua has been a rock in defence, easily the best hard yards ball carrier in every game he has played this year on either side (including against Brial and Taumopeau), good for a couple of pilfers, game smarts and with a high workrate. Coaches need impact and workrate.
The hardest person to replace is Cleverley who is maturing nicely both as a carrier and hitter. I imagine 6 is where we'll see someone square pegged. I think both Brial and Fonua as wasted in the 2nd row and there is some depth and size in the row across Graham, Greer, Thiel.
Front row no clear standouts imo, been impressed with the young Kings boys but no moreso than others.
Agree with almost all of what you’ve put forward here.
Incumbency, in the case of LeMaitre, should not be a factor.
He’s deserved his success and has been rewarded with selections - to this point.
It’s perfectly justified for a selector to pick on merit - Johannes Logan - as an example, has had a massive off-season and is a naturally bigger body. The fact he’s playing better rugby this year should wash away any discussion of incumbency. It might also force LeMaitre to another position where he will be more likely to excel outside of the school system.
Australian Rugby’s future success relies on talent identification and rewarding the right combination of work ethic and elite skill.
It’s hard enough justifying incumbency at a Wallabies level, let alone when it comes to junior pathways.

runningrugbyrules

Ted Fahey (11)

Thats definitely a game Id pay to go see ! Hurts to say but that ISA backline is better than the GPS one

I just saw an interview today live with Luke Keary who said when he left South’s at 24 he was going back to rugby with NSW until an 11th hour call from the Roosters. Makes you want to cry after seeing the troubles we’ve had at No.10 the past 8 years when we could have had Luke Keary

As i said I hate losing our young GPS / ISA talent but It’s inevitable given the current fiscal situation, but I definitely don’t want to burn any bridges for their return one day

Rugbynbeers

Darby Loudon (17)
They are professionally contracted, meaning have an obligation to, there is no qualifier to that statement. Rugby is actually very active now, there are substantial numbers signed to academies before the end of school. There really ought to be a proper review of the situation. All the school associations should be on the same page as should the game generally.

there are boys in the GPS signed to union, from my understanding the likes of kings No3 and Leo Jacques have both signed to Waratahs.

and I’m sure there are many more.