• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
Spot on. sad thing the horse has bolted now for TSC. What could have been......we will never know..... On a positive note should be a good top of the table contest for Kings/Joeys.

As said before TSC just needs a complete reset clean out. New DOR at Scots is needed Urgently and ASAP. TSC need to hire an external person, who has run a successful Grade or Colts Program or even overseas professional program,. Who can setup a good Rugby framework. Includes Positive messaging, KPI, Process, procedures and good coaching and development pathways. The other issues at TSC is teams aren't picked on abilities favoritism is rife! The reality is against Joeys TSC won 4 games out of say 28. Cant argue with numbers.
The problem is the Director of Sport now at TSC is the former Director or Rugby who's tenure as 1st XV coach was disastrous, his top down approach results speak for themselves and his legacy continues. If only they had retained Marcus Blackburn. The Scots 2nds and 3rds are undefeated (i believe) the 2nds have scored nearly 70 points in the past two weeks and conceded 7, the stats don't lie as i said pre season, taking nothing away from the boys a team of champions does not always equate to a champion team.

Last edited:

Steve_Grey

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Makes sense, Brian Smith really only had an international rugby and mungo career due to favouritism….. shhsshhhh
Yes - outward as opposed to inward - didn't translate to TSC 1XV Coaching success. That said, dual international for different countries is no mean feat.

Last edited:

jack andrews

Peter Burge (5)
I’ve noticed a few new predictions for GPS teams and thought I’d add my own (just for sport).
I’d like to add that these are solely based on THIS seasons form and I don’t tend to buy into reputation of players

1. Taggart (J) (if not injured)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (R)
4. Graham (R)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. LeMaitre (E)
8. Taumoepeau (J)
9. Grover (R)
10. Bassingthwaite (E)
11. Hart (J)
12. Gough (J)
13. Jacques (S)
14. McKenzie (S)
15. Caligan (E)

Honourable mention (all great players and deserve to be in this team)
Cleverly (if not injured), Brial, Rodwell, Fonua, Conick or Fenwicke, Arnautovic,
Pretty rough to leave Brial out. He vice-captained Australia as a Year 11 which is absolutely unheard of.

A lot of people making teams and leaving out players with the national reputation such as Le maitre, brial, fonua and cleverley without actually watching their games, just basing their teams off the chat on here.

The forward pack brial is surrounded with is below average for this comp and he is finding himself having to do other peoples roles a lot. I think in the rep period and the rest of the comp he will establish his class as a top 5 GPS player.

Here for the advice

Peter Burge (5)
I watched the first half of the joeys - shore 2nd xv (a mates son playing for SJC 2's) I thought shore were very good in the first half and starved SJC of the ball for the first 25mins. Joeys hardly touched the ball and when they did it was mistakes and penalties. What impressed me also was the state of SJC ground. I know from playing their 25 years ago what it was like but after all the rain and muck that field is A1. Compare it to TSC, SIC, NC grounds. TKS ground also looks very good. What I also wondered was around lighting...I dont think any school has adequate lighting on their grounds which surprises me a little.
Some residents may not love large lights on these grounds in residential areas…..

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
Some residents may not love large lights on these grounds in residential areas…..
A well designed system shouldn't have much light spill. But yep Joeys oval is pretty much surrounded by residential.

Compare to Knox where you've got the school on three sides and railway embankment on the other.

Kings and Newington you'd think would have limited local impact.

The others a bit harder, and some would be better off spending money on drainage first.

TheMaulester

Ted Fahey (11)
GPS won’t be worried about goal kicking… and he is no where near the best 12
Are you watching the same game's as everyone else? Gough is smaller than Conick and is more of a hard-hitup inside centre, while Conick is rather more of a skilled facilitator for the back line alongside the flyhalf Bassingthwaite, who is also a facilitator but also quite skilled and plays with flair and spark, like a young Kurtley Beale. Saying kicking is not considered by the GPS selectors may be a fair point regarding penalties as in representative games where players are trying to highlight themselves instead of play it safe and win the game penalties are not the priority, however kicking in general play is undoubtedly considered by GPS selectors as that is going to happen in almost all top level union games (even in the wet) and is a great indicator of kicking ability (just look at DCE's kicking, people recognise his 40-20's, not his goal kicking).

I'd also like to say that those suggesting Ghattas will take the hooker jersey for GPS 1's must be exclusively from SJC. He is one of the smaller Hookers in the comp and is not as impactful in game's compared to other 2's in the comp. Is he not year 11? If so he'll almost certainly not be in GPS 1's this year, but rather next year as he's still got time for representative schoolboy in 2025.

Last edited:

TheMaulester

Ted Fahey (11)
I’ve noticed a few new predictions for GPS teams and thought I’d add my own (just for sport).
I’d like to add that these are solely based on THIS seasons form and I don’t tend to buy into reputation of players

2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (R)
4. Graham (R)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. LeMaitre (E)
8. Taumoepeau (J)
9. Grover (R)
10. Bassingthwaite (E)
11. Hart (J)
12. Gough (J)
13. Jacques (S)
14. McKenzie (S)
15. Caligan (E)

Cleverly (if not injured), Brial, Rodwell, Fonua, Conick or Fenwicke, Arnautovic,
Not sure how credible this list is considering you're unaware that Bassingthwaite and Callaghan likely won't play GPS 1's due to league contracts and commitments.

Last edited:

Wavesfooty2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are you watching the same game's as everyone else? Gough is smaller than Conick and is more of a hard-hitup inside centre, while Conick is rather more of a skilled facilitator for the back line alongside the flyhalf Bassingthwaite, who is also a facilitator but also quite skilled and plays with flair and spark, like a young Kurtley Beale. Saying kicking is not considered by the GPS selectors may be a fair point regarding penalties as in representative games where players are trying to highlight themselves instead of play it safe and win the game penalties are not the priority, however kicking in general play is undoubtedly considered by GPS selectors as that is going to happen in almost all top level union games (even in the wet) and is a great indicator of kicking ability (just look at DCE's kicking, people recognise his 40-20's, not his goal kicking).

I'd also like to say that those suggesting Taggart will take the hooker jersey for GPS 1's must be exclusively from SJC. He is one of the smaller Hookers in the comp and is not as impactful in game's compared to other 2's in the comp. Is he not year 11? If so he'll almost certainly not be in GPS 1's this year, but rather next year as he's still got time for representative schoolboy in 2025.
Taggart Isn't a hooker, He is a prop.

Having watched some joeys games he has outplayed his opposites, hopefully he is back before rep footy. He will certainly be up there.

johnredman

Bob McCowan (2)
Pretty rough to leave Brial out. He vice-captained Australia as a Year 11 which is absolutely unheard of.

A lot of people making teams and leaving out players with the national reputation such as Le maitre, brial, fonua and cleverley without actually watching their games, just basing their teams off the chat on here.

The forward pack brial is surrounded with is below average for this comp and he is finding himself having to do other peoples roles a lot. I think in the rep period and the rest of the comp he will establish his class as a top 5 GPS player.
As I said I rate a lot of those players highly, the only reason they are not in the GPS team is because of this seasons form, honestly Brial hasn’t performed for Scot’s this year so far. I’d say they will still pick him based on rep footy and form for other teams

Jockey181

Banned
My predicted 1St GPS XV
1. Felix Harvison
2. James Warner
3. Osbourne
4. Graham
5. Greer
6. Logan
7. Le Maitre (C)
8. Taumoepeau
9. Grover
10. Fowler
11. Hart
12. Gough
13. Jacques
14. Mckenzie
15. Callaghan

Smokeys
- Bassingthwaite
- Newington 5/8 forgot his name
- Harry Davies
- Joeys halfback ( not sure his name)

Horseprop

Frank Row (1)
My predicted 1St GPS XV
1. Felix Harvison
2. James Warner
3. Osbourne
4. Graham
5. Greer
6. Logan
7. Le Maitre (C)
8. Taumoepeau
9. Grover
10. Fowler
11. Hart
12. Gough
13. Jacques
14. Mckenzie
15. Callaghan

Smokeys
- Bassingthwaite
- Harry Davies
Smoky: Will Johnson from TSC. I'm predicting now he'll be in a GPS team.

Backintheolddays

Billy Sheehan (19)
As I said I rate a lot of those players highly, the only reason they are not in the GPS team is because of this seasons form, honestly Brial hasn’t performed for Scot’s this year so far. I’d say they will still pick him based on rep footy and form for other teams
I'm a Kings follower but Brial is my first pick. Workrate and impact exceptional. Not sure what form you're judging from. Consistently a threat in an underperforming forward pack. Blessed with too many good #8's

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)

I'd also like to say that those suggesting Taggart will take the hooker jersey for GPS 1's must be exclusively from SJC. He is one of the smaller Hookers in the comp and is not as impactful in game's compared to other 2's in the comp. Is he not year 11? If so he'll almost certainly not be in GPS 1's this year, but rather next year as he's still got time for representative schoolboy in 2025.
Yeah, I’m watching the same game as everyone else. Comping Bassingthwaite to a young KB (Kurtley Beale) is quite a reach, perhaps a young Darren Junee. If tactical kicking is important then Fowler is the man. Connick is good, he is the second or third best 12 in the GPS.

BananaMan

Allen Oxlade (6)

2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (R)
4. Graham (R)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. LeMaitre (E)
8. Taumoepeau (J)
9. Grover (R)
10. Bassingthwaite (E)
11. Hart (J)
12. Gough (J)
13. Jacques (S)
14. McKenzie (S)
15. Caligan (E)

Cleverley is injured so you can rule him out straight away. Brial would be a definite starter, he appears to be carrying Scots and trying to motivate those around him, Fonua also should be starting (a stand out at Kings), you'd have Makasini from New at 11 and Palmisani would have to be a contender for 15 being the in form fullback. The majority will be in the starting 23 but who will start the game is the $28 dollar question. A massive pool to choose from compared to last year - a headache for the selectors (whoever they may be).

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)
Cleverley is injured so you can rule him out straight away. Brial would be a definite starter, he appears to be carrying Scots and trying to motivate those around him, Fonua also should be starting (a stand out at Kings), you'd have Makasini from New at 11 and Palmisani would have to be a contender for 15 being the in form fullback. The majority will be in the starting 23 but who will start the game is the $28 dollar question. A massive pool to choose from compared to last year - a headache for the selectors (whoever they may be).
You know they pick a XV right? Reserves come from the 2’s etc. Unless they are changing the historical practice.

Jim Brennan

Frank Nicholson (4)
My predicted 1St GPS XV
1. Felix Harvison
2. James Warner
3. Osbourne
4. Graham
5. Greer
6. Logan
7. Le Maitre (C)
8. Taumoepeau
9. Grover
10. Fowler
11. Hart
12. Gough
13. Jacques
14. Mckenzie
15. Callaghan

Smokeys
- Bassingthwaite
- Harry Davies
no mention to campbell conna? I believe him to be one the best players in the GPS this year.

Maul of Duty

Ward Prentice (10)

I think the TKS Loose Head has been the most consistent in the #1 jersey and would have the highest work rate compared to the other loose heads in the games this far. I would put him in that spot based on that. Agree with Warner but it is super close with Ghattas snapping at his heels. Osborne at 3 has consistently had great carries. I see those boys earning the 1,2, and 3 jerseys.

I would be surprised if Brial and Fonua we not in the team based on past performance and also Fonua playing exceptionally this season thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.