• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Warwick Wilson

Peter Burge (5)
I watched the first half of the joeys - shore 2nd xv (a mates son playing for SJC 2's) I thought shore were very good in the first half and starved SJC of the ball for the first 25mins. Joeys hardly touched the ball and when they did it was mistakes and penalties. What impressed me also was the state of SJC ground. I know from playing their 25 years ago what it was like but after all the rain and muck that field is A1. Compare it to TSC, SIC, NC grounds. TKS ground also looks very good. What I also wondered was around lighting...I dont think any school has adequate lighting on their grounds which surprises me a little.

wisemaan

Banned
I watched the first half of the joeys - shore 2nd xv (a mates son playing for SJC 2's) I thought shore were very good in the first half and starved SJC of the ball for the first 25mins. Joeys hardly touched the ball and when they did it was mistakes and penalties. What impressed me also was the state of SJC ground. I know from playing their 25 years ago what it was like but after all the rain and muck that field is A1. Compare it to TSC, SIC, NC grounds. TKS ground also looks very good. What I also wondered was around lighting...I dont think any school has adequate lighting on their grounds which surprises me a little.
Agreed. Also as you said at the end not a single GPS school has proper lights. As showcased last night when SJC turned on theirs's honestly didn't make a difference. Over at the Knox Grammar School they have huge 'stadium like' spot lights that I believe GPS schools should invest in for events like GPS vs CAS which was held at Knox last year at night time, with the lights on. Great atmosphere. Just a thought because I am sure it would be within the budgets of these schools...

Yours in sporting reason, A sane observer

-wisemaan

Jockey181

Banned
I was lucky enough to go watch Scots yesterday, god they were poor. It looks like they are poorly coached. Their structure is horrendous. It looks like they don't even want to be out their. If i was Scots coaching staff, this is what I would be doing. Will Johnson to 10, Finlay Bartlett back up. The scot's twos are dominating yet the 1s are poor don't really get this tbh.
Yours truly Jock

Warwick Wilson

Peter Burge (5)
I was lucky enough to go watch Scots yesterday, god they were poor. It looks like they are poorly coached. Their structure is horrendous. It looks like they don't even want to be out their. If i was Scots coaching staff, this is what I would be doing. Will Johnson to 10, Finlay Bartlett back up. The scot's twos are dominating yet the 1s are poor don't really get this tbh.
Yours truly Jock
Agreed. I watched the match on Streamer. TSC seem to play high risk high reward style footy. NC played the conditions better. NC scrum was dominant. A bog of a field too!!

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The ref certainly did a good job helping Shore retain possession with some very inconsistent law interpretations, anywho…Joeys won with about 20% of possession.
Regarding lighting - Joeys has tried to gain approval for a proper lighting set up but local resident objections have defeated the attempts thus far.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Once again the forum falls back on reputation as a substitute for actual knowledge and genuine form. Anyone who watched Shore v Joeys yesterday will tell you that Logan won the battle of the 7’s comfortably. Constant involvement, strong carries and resolute defence, plus a crucial try. It would be extraordinary if Le Maitre was selected over him.
Warner and Ghattas are the two form hookers in the comp, then daylight so that was a confrontation worth watching. Warner a slightly larger body, excellent throw and maybe stronger defender. Ghattas a piranha in the loose. Nothing in it, but given Ghattas has another year, he will probably get the GPS 2’s jersey this year.
The truth is shore 7 peaked as a 7 about 2 years ago. He would make and awesome 9 in my opinion and would love to see him at 2. I know this will baffle a lot of people but I have watched him since he was 12 and have been saying this since he was 14.

Mosmanwhale

Bob McCowan (2)
Looking at the State Cup U18 squads. I see Finnlay Bartlett playing for Norths. Any other Year 11, 12 boys from the AAGPS schools playing?

Warwick Wilson

Peter Burge (5)
The ref certainly did a good job helping Shore retain possession with some very inconsistent law interpretations, anywho…Joeys won with about 20% of possession.
Regarding lighting - Joeys has tried to gain approval for a proper lighting set up but local resident objections have defeated the attempts thus far.
Yes that would make sense. Whilst I don't imagine a school needs lighting on their sports fields all the time it would def improve things on dark overcast winters days. Most grounds also double up as cricket grounds so potentially they could be used year round. Club rugby grounds lights are essential because training takes place at night. At our field we have had the lights on early in all bar one game this year and these are 1st Grade 3:30pm kick offs. If SJC has trouble getting light's up then imagine at the likes of TSC, NC, SHORE.

The Cleaner

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not meant to be negative lad, the boys scrum isn't as strong back end I.e looking to hold not dominate the shunt.
Opinion formed based on all 4 games or yesterday only? TKS held Joeys last week, held Shore, destroyed Scots? Yesterday, TKS #3 no excuse but cramped up still scrummed (assume it was pickle juice they gave him to drink on field). My point is, holistic assessment. Though, all entitle to their own opinion. View replaced/subbed off some of their front rowers. They had FRESH LEGS 2nd half.

CasualObserver

Herbert Moran (7)
Yes that would make sense. Whilst I don't imagine a school needs lighting on their sports fields all the time it would def improve things on dark overcast winters days. Most grounds also double up as cricket grounds so potentially they could be used year round. Club rugby grounds lights are essential because training takes place at night. At our field we have had the lights on early in all bar one game this year and these are 1st Grade 3:30pm kick offs. If SJC has trouble getting light's up then imagine at the likes of TSC, NC, SHORE.
They have lights on the College grounds at the school. Not really a need at the park.

Goosestep

Bob Loudon (25)
Honestly what losers those few local residents who objected must be …

The Front Rower

Ward Prentice (10)
Yours truly Jock
Spot on. sad thing the horse has bolted now for TSC. What could have been......we will never know..... On a positive note should be a good top of the table contest for Kings/Joeys.

As said before TSC just needs a complete reset clean out. New DOR at Scots is needed Urgently and ASAP. TSC need to hire an external person, who has run a successful Grade or Colts Program or even overseas professional program,. Who can setup a good Rugby framework. Includes Positive messaging, KPI, Process, procedures and good coaching and development pathways. The other issues at TSC is teams aren't picked on abilities favoritism is rife! The reality is against Joeys TSC won 4 games out of say 28. Cant argue with numbers.

tight5

Stan Wickham (3)
Opinion formed based on all 4 games or yesterday only? TKS held Joeys last week, held Shore, destroyed Scots? Yesterday, TKS #3 no excuse but cramped up still scrummed (assume it was pickle juice they gave him to drink on field). My point is, holistic assessment. Though, all entitle to their own opinion. View replaced/subbed off some of their front rowers. They had FRESH LEGS 2nd half.
Based on past few games on streamers, yesterdays last pack down lead to a SIC try. Surprised other teams haven't exploited attacking tight off a scrum. Maybe even drive in a scrum now and again. Joey's and Shore last quarters, pretty sure both shunted off the mark. Subbing off if allowed is strategy. Well done to both squads

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Spot on. sad thing the horse has bolted now for TSC. What could have been......we will never know..... On a positive note should be a good top of the table contest for Kings/Joeys.

As said before TSC just needs a complete reset clean out. New DOR at Scots is needed Urgently and ASAP. TSC need to hire an external person, who has run a successful Grade or Colts Program or even overseas professional program,. Who can setup a good Rugby framework. Includes Positive messaging, KPI, Process, procedures and good coaching and development pathways. The other issues at TSC is teams aren't picked on abilities favoritism is rife! The reality is against Joeys TSC won 4 games out of say 28. Cant argue with numbers.
I think there is evidence of favouritism in just about any rugby XV on the planet. There is always 1 or 2 players that receive unequal
Favouritism from a coach and there is always a player busting his nut stuck behind the favourite. I think teams cope better with that when there is some fraternity amongst the boys. That is harder to achieve when you drop players in towards the ultimate years. Scots seconds is in a way proof of that, playing as a team, collectively achieving more than the sum of the parts would suggest, why? Fraternity.

Steve_Grey

Larry Dwyer (12)

"The other issues at TSC is teams aren't picked on abilities favoritism is rife!"
This has been the norm at TSC since the Brian Smith days (he had his backrow favourites), and his legacy continues with the current DOR / Coaches. Last year TSC reacted too late to early losses from dubious back 3 selections. When they did switch it around they won their last games and drew with TKS (having taking a thumping in the first TKS match-up) - but the damage was done.

Rudderless

Vay Wilson (31)

This was posted by propsarespeedy back in Nov 22

Schoolbox post from Brian Smith:

'To the Scots Rugby Community,

As you may be aware, there will be a few changes to the Scots Rugby Program for the 2023 season. I have accepted the role of Head of Sport for the Senior students (Yr10-12) so Ed White will take on the position of Director of Rugby and the former St Joseph's College coach, Tim Anderson will be the 1st XV Head Coach.

Both Ed and Tim have coached at the schoolboy level for many years with great success. From a personal point of view, my time in charge of rugby at Scots has been very enjoyable. Having coached at the international level it's been extremely rewarding to give back to the game by helping to develop some wonderful young players who are fulfilling their rugby dreams and enhancing the Scots College reputation as a nursery for future Wallabies and NRL players. Players like Theo Strang, Ryan McAuley, Darcy Breen, Billy Smith, Will Harris, Jeremy Williams, Joe Brial, Dan Botha, Darby Lancaster and Josh Wong have come through the program in what has been a golden age for rugby at Scots. It's worth remembering that The Scots College won five AAGPS Premierships in the past 10 years. In fact before Dr Lambert arrived at Scots on 2007 the college had won only won six 1st XV Premierships in over 100 years. So thank you for your support during my tenure and good luck to the new leaders of the rugby program. "

Yours sincerely,

tight5

Stan Wickham (3)
"The other issues at TSC is teams aren't picked on abilities favoritism is rife!"
This has been the norm at TSC since the Brian Smith days (he had his backrow favourites), and his legacy continues with the current DOR / Coaches. Last year TSC reacted too late to early losses from dubious back 3 selections. When they did switch it around they won their last games and drew with TKS (having taking a thumping in the first TKS match-up) - but the damage was done.
Get ball to Lemoto and Fitter as wingers on long shape and inside shoulder on short.