• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sides need to learn how to play effectively in the rain. Newington were bang on with the gameplan. Need to learn proper kicking tactics too.
Agree, as I wrote at HT today

“Joeys struggling at soaked Kings No.1, as stated previously Joeys style of rugby not good in wet weather and Joeys not playing wet weather footy tactics. Need short passes, one off the ruck and short kicks behind Kings defence.”

and last Sunday

“Joeys once again a run first team, passing the ball laterally 2/3 passes away from the ruck straight from the first phases making Scots forwards run a lot with multiple phases. I’m not a fan of going wide before earning the right to, myself, particularly when you have 8 and 12 who are two of the strongest hit up runners in the comp. However Thommo’s tactics certainly tired the Scots forwards who were gone by half time. Joeys forwards looked very fit (again) and
Joeys games against Auggies & Newington showed that rain will be the catalyst for Joeys season. Joeys were vulnerable against Auggies, as the rain meant Joeys found the long lateral passes tactics difficult with the slippery ball. Joeys struggled. Auggies used their short kicking game overt the defence to great effect, just as the All Blacks play in the wet.
Against Newington in the first half it was dry and Joeys could move the ball wide and looked dangerous leading 19-5 with Newington defending most of the half . But in the second half the rain came Joeys couldn’t move the ball wide and actually lost the second half 7-5.

Joeys are clear favourites but will be vulnerable to rain and/or muddy grounds. Particularly the away games at Riverview, Scots and New that turn into muddy swamps after an inch of rain. Joeys will be very hard to beat on a dry track.”

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)

“Joeys struggling at soaked Kings No.1, as stated previously Joeys style of rugby not good in wet weather and Joeys not playing wet weather footy tactics. Need short passes, one off the ruck and short kicks behind Kings defence.”

and last Sunday

“Joeys once again a run first team, passing the ball laterally 2/3 passes away from the ruck straight from the first phases making Scots forwards run a lot with multiple phases. I’m not a fan of going wide before earning the right to, myself, particularly when you have 8 and 12 who are two of the strongest hit up runners in the comp. However Thommo’s tactics certainly tired the Scots forwards who were gone by half time. Joeys forwards looked very fit (again) and
Joeys games against Auggies & Newington showed that rain will be the catalyst for Joeys season. Joeys were vulnerable against Auggies, as the rain meant Joeys found the long lateral passes tactics difficult with the slippery ball. Joeys struggled. Auggies used their short kicking game overt the defence to great effect, just as the All Blacks play in the wet.
Against Newington in the first half it was dry and Joeys could move the ball wide and looked dangerous leading 19-5 with Newington defending most of the half . But in the second half the rain came Joeys couldn’t move the ball wide and actually lost the second half 7-5.

Joeys are clear favourites but will be vulnerable to rain and/or muddy grounds. Particularly the away games at Riverview, Scots and New that turn into muddy swamps after an inch of rain. Joeys will be very hard to beat on a dry track.”
Shore should be on their knees praying for rain for the Joeys game next Thursday

Dry track = Joeys by plenty

wet track = close game

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Who was the Scots 23? Came on and livened them right up. Wanted the ball and went looking for work when a few of them still had clean jerseys in the backline.

Took his opportunity for sure.

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)

and last Sunday

When I woke this morning and looked at the forecast, I recalled your post and a chill ran up my spine. I knew that the limited tactical flexibility of the coaching team would be a major issue today. The belligerent insistance on only playing one way really bit us on the backside today. Well done to Kings, 3 and 5 were epic for them.

The Chairman

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Right here we go.

I’ve seen the depths and disparity of the mid-2010s Shore School 1st XV. Those were truly challenging times. But it was there that we saw the heart of the school. The boys would rock up every week and cheer on even though they knew it was going to be a bloodbath. But then we enter a new era, one of renewal and success. The younger teams start to get better, better training is established, and better decisions are made. Now we stand in the modern day, with the world looking at us as the favourites. But only one thing stands between us and the title. RAIN. It was seen against SIC, where Grover and Bousie dismantled the Shore backline with their tactical kicks. They played compact, and Shore tried playing expansive rugby which naturally wouldn’t work. You would’ve thought they would learn from this, but it seems not. This time Stirling Bridge was flooded, the ball would stop when it hit the deck. But again, same thing happens. Rodwell is one of the best kickers in the comp, and Makasini is probably the best ball carrier in the comp. They stay the course. The kicking battles would be loss after loss, and Newington would march down and walk over. The forwards worked hard, but all Newington had to do was pick and go, wait for them to get sucked in and the winger would miss the tackle and its over. I believe in this team I really do. But they have got to start to get their heads together about how to gain territory with kicks and play APPROPRIATELY in the rain. In the dry, they are arguably the best team in the comp. But they MUST learn how to start winning kicking battles and play smart in the rain. Kicking the ball twice away when you have a scrum in your own 22 with 3 minutes left is not a good idea. Kicking a grubber when it is past full time when the ball doesnt move across the deck is not a good idea. Personally, I think they panicked but the strategy just was not there. Not enough forward utilisation and continually entering losing kicking battles killed them today. We hold faith, but reluctantly.

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.