• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
round 2.jpg

round 2.1.jpg

TheManTheMyth

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm hearing that watching the 1st XV vs Joeys is compulsory for all Kings boys this week. Should be a good atmosphere.
Yes, have also heard this from my nephew.

I happened to be at Kings vs Scots in round 1 and noticed that Kings warcries seemed to be lacking. That being said, they didn't have much of a student crowd and it was an away fixture. Keen to see how they go with a compulsory fixture especially against an always strong Joeys crowd...

The Cleaner

Herbert Moran (7)
80% of these boys were league players who got the opportunity to play Union. I believe Sua'ali'i played for Eastwood as a junior but thats about it. They were always heading to League.
And look at the exorbitant price Rugby AU paid to bring Sua'ali'i back;)

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jokers round 3 match predictions based on his extensive interpretations of the Voynich Manuscript

The King's School v St Joseph’s College at Castle Grey Skull

As a fleet of luxury cars glided back along the M2 to the great western plains of Parramatta, the mood inside most luxury saloons was surprisingly upbeat and not as downcast as one might think. Indeed, the Montagues, Anders, Barnabys Orsons and Rolands all felt quietly chipper just like when mummy ordered the house staff to hide a tin of Fortnum & Mason Chocolossus Biscuits under the pillow. Yes, the cattle had taken a beating from the hands of the Shoremen, but they made the northern warriors work hard for it. To the admiration of their supporters, King's never gave up, even when the whispers of pies running out found its way to the reserves bench the King's cattle continued to focus on the job. Someone could say the Kingsman didn’t lose, they just ran out of time. This week the picnic baskets will be stocked, R.M Williams designer riding pants pressed, boots cleaned to a high sheen and the Bentley, Rolls Royce or Mercedes SUVs detailed with parking spots staked out. This contrasts sharply to the uncouth, uncultured, unwashed Catholic lads who will be descending upon their manicured grounds like a swarm of locusts.

1716976229664.png

And what of those scruffy nurf herders. Last weekend the slighter team were too shrewd, too well conditioned, too profligate at times for the lumbering, disjointed imperial walkers. It was your typical well drilled Joeys team that dismantled the Stormtroopers. The game revealed an effective attacking force that displayed the skill of the forwards whose deft ball work would split the Scots defence. The sight of a loose head prop piercing the line and running freely is one of nature’s most delightful and rare occurrences. It was of course the work rate of the backrow of cattle dogs that stood out. These doggies attacked anything that moved and had the foot down all game. God knows what they served in the refectory the night before. Or was it the Friday night run down the pizza place? Either way, it looked that Joeys seem to have the game, skill and speed to better most. King's won’t be easy. The supporters and the dancing bloke in the cape and sword will demand premium offerings just like from mummy’s cheesemonger. While many might say Joeys in a blow out, I am taking more conservative approach. King's are one of those schools that lift when hosting Joeys. But, how far can they lift?

1716976029933.png

Joeys by 6 cream buns just like nanna made

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Scots College v St Ignatius College at the Deathstar

Much has been written this past week about the Scots performance at the Les pâturages du paradis. The storm troopers we are now told are dealing with a lack of quality players to cover the heavy hitters who are unavailable. Scots do indeed have firepower, but is it in the correct position? Many Sith Lords have cried out from the castle Mustafar for dramatic changes to the team structure. The smaller, quicker Joeys dogs exposed some serious flaws in their game plan. To those who saw the game, the plan seemed to be to run the big monsters at the smaller puppies and then fling it wide and see what the super soldiers can do. Trouble was that Joeys have seen this style before from Scots when Star Admiral Blackburn was in charge and have developed a defensive plan to counter this ancient formula. Scots attack was too slow and ponderous while sprightly cattle dogs danced a merry tune around them. When Scots let a loosehead prop burst through a hole in the line, the poor fella looked like he'd never been in such a position before. This week you will see a better performance I am sure from the troopers otherwise they will be sent to the spice mines in another galaxy that Uber eats doesn't deliver to..

1716976423402.gif

Meanwhile across the river and deep within the swamp lands of Lane Cove we find a slowly bourgeoning Riverview. Described by many keyboard experts as the also rans this season, the wolves are gradually building which now finds them in a position of authority and forte. I sense they are calling upon the ancient insight of Iggy the Moocher. This fabled and much-loved character was a crowd favourite for decades as he led the lunacy on the sideline. This wasn't just someone simply dressed in a cape or in a Lion suit, this was an individual who embodied the Lane Cove lunatic hunger for success. To the despair of the faithful, the fun police put a stop to Iggy when an audition video hit the internet exposing elements only a true Lane Cove wolf would ever understand. This season has called upon all within the wolf pack to find their own “inner Iggy” and use this to inspire them. From 1st XV to the nicotine ninths, all teams are bursting with pride and passion, the opposition is totally engulfed in the magic that is “Iggy”. Do the wolves travel well? In the past they've shown a willingness to venture to Joeys and Shore, but to some, the Deathstar is located in a galaxy far, far away. If given a friendly pitch I feel these mud monsters will take the chocolates at Bellevue.

1716976891969.png

#FreeIggy

Riverview by 10 slices of Via Napoli pizza

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Shore School v Newington College at the windswept lands of Stirling Bridge.

Once considered a lovely Saturday afternoon journey to one the friendliest oppositions you could find has now become what schools are wary to step foot upon. Still the charm of the ground with the half-finished stand and the quaint scoreboard does lull many visitors into a sense of destiny. “We will come, we will eat pies, we will win and then home,” was the menu for many years. Now oppositions eye off the Shoremen with suspicion. What is the secret to their success? Plenty of rumours are swirling which is a shame as it just seems Shore has finally admitted, “let's give the rowing a break and focus on the rugger”. To their credit they have persisted. For those who watched Shore lose time and time again it took great fortitude to stick it out knowing that “this too shall pass”. In 2023 a revelation was discovered as results began to flow in the positive and junior teams became more competitive. “Shore are back!” was the call across “The Bridge.” For one I am happy to have them back. They'll soon become a venue that's more than an easy win, hot pie and a lovely Shore mum smile. This season may see the days of playing Shore are dreaded. Damn, I was year 10 when I finally beat them. Shore wasn't seen as a gimme in my days. Jikka Travers made sure of that. Maybe this will happen again this season. Welcome back Shoremen. Joker is happy for you.

1716977073565.png

Newington has recently achieved some success in being added to “The greatest modern mysteries.” list. In fact, is shares an uneasy affinity to the Mary Celeste mystery. Here was a ship which was completely stocked and seaworthy, was discovered abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean in 1872. The crew's whereabouts are still unknown. In terms of the rugby, here was a team which was completely stocked with exceptional talent and rugby ability has yet to discover the competence to win in 2024. The team that promised so much has vanished. I have limited access to the comings and goings at the school but plenty of rumour and scuttlebutt abounds. Parents are blaming a meagre approach in junior grades, teams throwing in the towel early and not expecting success and even the silliness that since the girls are coming many league players are being promoted elsewhere as parents want their boy to be focused. Whatever the reason, Newington continue to make many of us scratch our collective heads. What they do have in their favour is a proud history to draw upon, excellent support and the ability to spring a surprise on anyone if they are in the mood. 2 losses may have made them angry enough to “turn up,” this weekend. If they do, heaven help the opposition. My head says Shore and I'll stick with it. But I won't be surprised if the good ship Newington discovers its potential. An intriguing match awaits.

1716977259758.png

Shore by 10 bright Shore mother smiles.

Last edited:

the one who knocks

Stan Wickham (3)
My predicted gps lineup (Form team)
1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Taggart (J)
4. Graham (I)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Fonua (K)
9. Grover (I)
10. Fowler (J)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Fenwicke (K)
13. Tombs (J)
14. Jaques (S)
15. Rodwell (N)

Before you start bickering, tombs is a highly underrated player, has been fantastic to joeys in their start to the season. I know Le maitre hasn't been tested but we will see his class as the season unfold. I know Brial played Aus schools but as we know Gps don't care about that, could move him into second row instead of Graham. Rodwell and Fowler are both fantastic but Rodwell could play fullback and be the best in the comp. Fred satchel could also make a case as the Scots second row, been brilliant so far this year.
Knock Knock,

Good picks with Geer who has been playing well for Joeys and isn't talked about enough, Fenwicke another great pick as he has shown improvement throughout the season and is making a serious GPS case for himself. Jaques a bit questionable going off of form, he hasn't necessarily been playing bad just not meeting team and individual expectations. Interesting to see him over the likes of Hartman. Pretty standard picks for the rest of the side being a few no brainers such as Fonua, Grover, Lavercombe and Fowler.

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
Shore School v Newington College at the windswept lands of Stirling Bridge.

Once considered a lovely Saturday afternoon journey to one the friendliest oppositions you could find has now become what schools are wary to step foot upon. Still the charm of the ground with the half-finished stand and the quaint scoreboard does lull many visitors into a sense of destiny. “We will come, we will eat pies, we will win and then home,” was the menu for many years. Now oppositions eye off the Shoremen with suspicion. What is the secret to their success? Plenty of rumours are swirling which is a shame as it just seems Shore has finally admitted, “let's give the rowing a break and focus on the rugger”. To their credit they have persisted. For those who watched Shore lose time and time again it took great fortitude to stick it out knowing that “this too shall pass”. In 2023 a revelation was discovered as results began to flow in the positive and junior teams became more competitive. “Shore are back!” was the call across “The Bridge.” For one I'm happy to have them back. They'll soon become a venue that is more than an easy win, hot pie and a lovely Shore mum smile. This season may see the days of playing Shore was dreaded. Damn, I was year 10 when I finally beat them. Shore wasn't seen as a gimme in my days. Jikka Travers made sure of that. Maybe this will happen again this season. Welcome back Shoremen. Joker is happy for you.

View attachment 19077

Newington has recently achieved some success in being added to “The greatest modern mysteries.” list. In fact, is shares an uneasy affinity to the Mary Celeste mystery. Here was a ship which was completely stocked and seaworthy, was discovered abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean in 1872. The crew's whereabouts are still unknown. In terms of the rugby, here was a team which was completely stocked with exceptional talent and rugby ability has yet discover the competence to win in 2024. The team that promised so much has vanished. I have limited access to the comings and goings at the school but plenty of rumour and scuttlebutt abounds. Parents are blaming a meagre approach in junior grades, teams throwing in the towel early and not expecting success and even the silliness that since the girls are coming many league players are being promoted elsewhere as parents want their boy to be focused. Whatever the reason, Newington continue to make many of us scratch our collective heads. What they do have in their favour is a proud history to draw upon, excellent support and the ability to spring a surprise on anyone if they are in the mood. 2 losses may have made them angry enough to “turn up,” this weekend. If they do, heaven help the opposition. My head says Shore and I'll stick with it. But I won't be surprised if the good ship Newington discovers its potential. An intriguing match awaits.

View attachment 19078

Jika was a great man. Great integrity, and a lover of Shore sport at the core. Good to see him getting a mention.

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
My predicted gps lineup (Form team)
1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Taggart (J)
4. Graham (I)
5. Greer (J)
6. Logan (J)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Fonua (K)
9. Grover (I)
10. Fowler (J)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Fenwicke (K)
13. Tombs (J)
14. Jaques (S)
15. Rodwell (N)

Before you start bickering, tombs is a highly underrated player, has been fantastic to joeys in their start to the season. I know Le maitre hasn't been tested but we will see his class as the season unfold. I know Brial played Aus schools but as we know Gps don't care about that, could move him into second row instead of Graham. Rodwell and Fowler are both fantastic but Rodwell could play fullback and be the best in the comp. Fred satchel could also make a case as the Scots second row, been brilliant so far this year.
I agree, but the centres are especially difficult. Tombs and Fenwicke have been brilliant, but Conick is the best point scorer in the comp, so he at least deserves an HM. Baxter should be there over Graham, he missed a few games. The rest is good, but obviously there are big position battles all over the shop (Callaghan v Rodwell, Fonua v Brial, Bassingthwaighte v Fowler so on so forth)

Syd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Shore School v Newington College at the windswept lands of Sterling Bridge.

Once considered a lovely Saturday afternoon journey to one the friendliest oppositions you could find has now become what schools are wary to step foot upon. Still the charm of the ground with the half-finished stand and the quaint scoreboard does lull many visitors into a sense of destiny. “We will come, we will eat pies, we will win and then home,” was the menu for many years. Now oppositions eye off the Shoremen with suspicion. What is the secret to their success? Plenty of rumours are swirling which is a shame as it just seems Shore has finally admitted, “let give the rowing a break and focus on the rugger” To their credit they have persisted. For those who watched Shore lose time and time again it took great fortitude to stick it out knowing that “this too shall pass”. In 2023 a revelation was discovered as results began to flaw in the positive and junior teams became more competitive. “Shore are back!” was the call across “The Bridge.” For one I am happy to have them back. They will soon become a venue that is more than an easy win, hot pie and a lovely Shore mum smile. This season may see the days of playing Shore was dreaded. Damn, I was year 10 when I finally beat them. Shore was not seen as a gimme in my days. Jikka Travers made sure of that. Maybe this will happen again this season. Welcome back Shoremen. Joker is happy for you.

View attachment 19077

Newington has recently achieved some success in being added to “The greatest modern mysteries.” list. In fact, is shares an uneasy affinity to the Mary Celeste mystery. Here was a ship which was completely stocked and seaworthy, was discovered abandoned in the Atlantic Ocean in 1872. The crew's whereabouts are still unknown. In terms of the rugby, here was a team which was completely stocked with exceptional talent and rugby ability has yet discover the competence to win in 2024. The team that promised so much has vanished. I have limited access to the comings and goings at the school but plenty of rumour and scuttlebutt abounds. Parents are blaming a meagre approach in junior grades, teams throwing in the towel early and not expecting success and even the silliness that since the girls are coming many league players are being promoted elsewhere as parents want their boy to be focused. Whatever the reason, Newington continue to make many of us scratch our collective heads. What they do have in their favour is a proud history to draw upon excellent support and the ability to spring a surprise on anyone if they are in the mood. 2 loses may have made them angry enough to “turn up,” this weekend. If they do, heaven help the opposition. My head says Shore and I will stick with it. But I will not be surprised if the good ship Newington discovers its potential. An intriguing match awaits.

View attachment 19078

Thanks Joker, a lovely Tribute, my old man went to Shore in Jikka’s era. Rowing, Rugby and Rithmatic was the mantra.

Aagpsglory

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree, but the centres are especially difficult. Tombs and Fenwicke have been brilliant, but Conick is the best point scorer in the comp, so he at least deserves an HM. Baxter should be there over Graham, he missed a few games. The rest is good, but obviously there are big position battles all over the shop (Callaghan v Rodwell, Fonua v Brial, Bassingthwaighte v Fowler so on so forth)
Phoenix Graham has missed one game this GPS season, and that was against Shore, when View won. There has only been two games so I dont think you can say that is necessarily the reason he should be swapped with Baxter.

Cheers

AG

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
Phoenix Graham has missed one game this GPS season, and that was against Shore, when View won. There has only been two games so I dont think you can say that is necessarily the reason he should be swapped with Baxter.

Cheers

AG
Yeah its really personal preference at this stage. Both are class. I’d give Baxter the edge but I can understand where you are coming from

Two newington old boys and brother
Jesse McLean ON 2022
Casey McLean ON2023
Have been listed in the panthers first grade squad this weekend with Jesse starting and Casey a reserve