• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syd

Herbert Moran (7)
Let’s be honest the only school with true depth is joeys … and you can’t blame it on boarding cause other schools have that too … it comes down to culture and good coaching .
And an extra ~500 kids at Joeys in years 7-12 (it helps)

Last edited:

Syd

Herbert Moran (7)

I wouldn’t be too quick on this one Joker…
Yeah, rowing is still a huge focus (Shore just won the junior pennant back from view) I think the other schools are just putting more focus on it recently, was great to see Joeys win the HOTR (kind of)

CasualObserver

Sydney Middleton (9)
And an extra ~500 kids at Joeys in years 7-12 (it helps)
Extra 500 students at Joeys? It is the smallest school by student numbers.

1000020479.png

Up and In

Herbert Moran (7)
I think another difficulty for Newington is the demographic area it’s in, unlike other GPS schools in predominately aurcasian areas where rugby is played. Stanmore is a much more diverse area in comparison to Hunters Hill, Lane Cove or Bellevue Hill. Newington takes in a lot more different demographics many which prefer soccer. Although this has seen great results for Newington football winning the Sydney FC cup, and being in both GPS football finals and Kings last week this success unfortunately diminishes numbers for the rugby program. Along with Newington AFL team who won the NSW championship last year and the multiple other AFL teams the schools which frequently topple other schools due to their numbers. For Australia’s oldest rugby school the college needs to see a change, hopefully we can see a new culture surrounding rugby like Shore. Although Newington performs usually “okay” in the top age groups the depth just isn’t there currently for lower teams.
Thanks all
Has this demographic changed in recent years in the Stanmore area? My understanding is that it has always been this way and has never affected its results/ depth in the past? New has always been a football powerhouse and rugby hasn't suffered. I don't believe demographics is the reason for its downfall. When it dominated last decade it didn't do so because its demographics were different.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
I think another difficulty for Newington is the demographic area it’s in, unlike other GPS schools in predominately caucasian areas where rugby is played. Stanmore is a much more diverse area in comparison to Hunters Hill, Lane Cove or Bellevue Hill. Newington takes in a lot more different demographics many which prefer soccer. Although this has seen great results for Newington football winning the Sydney FC cup, and being in both GPS football finals and Kings last week this success unfortunately diminishes numbers for the rugby program. Along with Newington AFLl team who won the NSW championship last year and the multiple other AFL teams the schools which frequently topple other schools due to their numbers. For Australia’s oldest rugby school the college needs to see a change, hopefully we can see a new culture surrounding rugby like Shore. Although Newington performs usually “okay” in the top age groups the depth just isn’t there currently for lower teams.
Thanks all
Hasn’t joeys won the soccer the last two years in a row ?

CasualObserver

Sydney Middleton (9)
Happy to upgrade my sources if incorrect. I saw data that said 2000 in their high school. What’s that source?
Those numbers are from Wikipedia. The actual numbers are a bit higher, but not much. There is about 130 in yr7 and numbers increase to about 220 in yr12. Pretty close to 1000 kids.

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)
Happy to upgrade my sources if incorrect. I saw data that said 2000 in their high school. What’s that source?
There is no where near 2000. Max ever is about 1000. There is only a high school no prep at all. That’s one of the reasons why it is embarrassing for other schools to get thumped by Joeys in the 13A’s… their prep 1st teams should do better when they graduate to U13’s…..

Hardyardmenrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
G’day @Joker. It’s a foolish ask, I’m well aware but is there any chance I could get in on the tipping comp?! I know I missed the cut off by over 2 weeks so if there’s any chance I could jump in late with averages for the first 2 games or something I’d be thrilled. Completely understand if you can’t, I’ll still throw up my tips regardless for Shits and gigs.

Scot’s + 7

Joeys + 15

Shore + 10

Syd

Herbert Moran (7)
Plus back to back tennis.
Not B2B in tennis (results below)

Standing corrected on school size (wiki has some conflicting information)

Kings should win everything with their number of cattle…

Also saw HSC for Joeys 75th in the state, good all round results.

Will promise to start talking about rugby again…

2023SJCSGS
2024SHORESHORE

CasualObserver

Sydney Middleton (9)

2023SJCSGS
2024SHORESHORE
Sorry, was it 2022 & 2023?

Backintheolddays

Billy Sheehan (19)
Kings has 1400 in the high school, Tudor house and prep numbers included in the data above.
I’d also consider Kings has the most diverse cultural background of students across the gps, not concentrated like most. Not all big rugby playing country bumpkins.
Nearly 100 more kids play soccer than rugby and AFL rears its head every now and then.
Prep program isn’t the best, rely on club juniors more for that. That’s (one of) the reasons the likes of Joeys, Waverley, Oakhill and Augustines kill it in the younger age groups.
Joeys has such a history steeped in rugby that it continues to attract a lot of talent through that channel.

thesolicitor

Allen Oxlade (6)

2023SJCSGS
2024SHORESHORE
If grammar, high, shore or even kings or came 75th in the hsc there would be be a lot of unhappy people

Status
Not open for further replies.