• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here for the advice

Peter Burge (5)
they can play in 4s who benefits if they lose 70-0 each week?
They can improve and build a program from 13/14 up. The push to add New is honourable but they have struggled to field a solid 3’s so let’s not make quick decision. A few years back folks wanted to drop Shore from 1s….. looks kinda silly last year and this year that suggestion

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not a good sign for SBHS 1sts.
Have we very sadly reached the point of turning off the metaphorical life support re SBHS?

In the space of 20 years they’ve gone from being reasonably competitive 1sts on 1sts, to uncompetitive 1sts on 1sts ( similar to 81-0), to dropping down to 3rds where they originally were quite competitive but the same exponential decline seen in 1sts now occurs in 3rds.

I’d be interested in how their age group teams are going, particularly 16As, but 81-0 and similar score lines are good for neither team and not good for the game either. And there seems no prospect of improvement on the horizon either.

12 years ago a coalition government was elected with one of their promises being to adjust the selection criteria for SBHS to improve their competitiveness in GPS sport, but they backed down and did nothing. For example maintaining something like 80% intake of current academic standards and the rest selected by a blended process of academic and sport.

As a former state school student myself I’m old enough to remember selective schools like North Sydney BHS and James Ruse had strong rugby teams in CHS zone sport, but like High those days are long gone.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Have we very sadly reached the point of turning off the metaphorical life support re SBHS?

In the space of 20 years they’ve gone from being reasonably competitive 1sts on 1sts, to uncompetitive 1sts on 1sts ( similar to 81-0), to dropping down to 3rds where they originally were quite competitive but the same exponential decline seen in 1sts now occurs in 3rds.

I’d be interested in how their age group teams are going, particularly 16As, but 81-0 and similar score lines are good for neither team and not good for the game either. And there seems no prospect of improvement on the horizon either.

12 years ago a coalition government was elected with one of their promises being to adjust the selection criteria for SBHS to improve their competitiveness in GPS sport, but they backed down and did nothing. For example maintaining something like 80% intake of current academic standards and the rest selected by a blended process of academic and sport.

As a former state school student myself I’m old enough to remember selective schools like North Sydney BHS and James Ruse had strong rugby teams in CHS zone sport, but like High those days are long gone.
There will be a direct comparison with Grammar next week as they play each other at Weigall. It will give an indication as to how their lower age groups are going.

Joker

Staff member
Oh my…..long day. Highlights were off the field where I got to speak to a number of lads and discover how they went. If there is one thing I know about the Joeboys they aren’t backward coming forward. Thanks for the chat. It was lovely to meet you all.

…and thank you for the shout out during “when the saints”. But let’s stay focused on the field. Thanks you magnificent lunatics.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
They would lose every game in 4ths comp by a fair margin too. Can’t have them playing Fitchs.
The problem is you only play to the level of your competition…when the expectations arent as high, there isn’t the motivation to win

… yes sbh were getting flogged when the were in the Ist comp but now it’s happening in the 3rds, so it’s obvious this demotion hasn’t help, but in fact lowered the standard of rugby at high…And would probably happen again if they got dropped to the 4th/5ths..

Last edited:

ManOSteel

Stan Wickham (3)
TOTW W8

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Hodge (I)
3. Harvison (E)
4. Baxter (E)
5. Greer (J)
6. Cleverly (N)
7. Guerin (S)
8. Taumopeau (J)
9. Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Plamondon (I)
12. Humphries (N)
13. Naito (K)
14. Grantham (N)
15. Callaghan (E)
Lavercombe is the saviour of the kings program. Also very surprised to see Plamondon in the TOTW only caught the massive shot put on by Fittler in that game which deservedly so was given a red.

The Chairman

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lavercombe is the saviour of the kings program. Also very surprised to see Plamondon in the TOTW only caught the massive shot put on by Fittler in that game which deservedly so was given a red.
Plamondon scored 2 tries and sealed the game for Ignatius.

BoysfromtheBxW

Allen Oxlade (6)
Plamondon scored 2 tries and sealed the game for Ignatius.
Is this Jack plamandon #24 for presidents B if so this is a bad representation of the selection program within the GPS teams. If you can have a boy who plays so well in GPS 1st XV game and they are only getting picked as a shadow in gps b there is a real problem somewhere in the system. Just my opinion people don’t have to agree. I am just calling for justice for the boys who get there childhood dreams of playing gps rugby ruined to a poor selection process and there being biased opinions on selections. Also better for the sport of Rugby Union because these boys who are seriously talented are getting overlooked and then seek better oppurtunities in rugby league because they have more to offer.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The problem is you only play to the level of your competition…when the expectations arent as high, there isn’t the motivation to win

… yes sbh were getting flogged when the were in the Ist comp but now it’s happening in the 3rds, so it’s obvious this demotion hasn’t help, but in fact lowered the standard of rugby at high…And would probably happen again if they got dropped to the 4th/5ths..
I agree that demotion isn’t going to improve the standard, but nor is getting beaten by 50 plus points every week. Player safety was one reason for the original move.
From 5 competition games High results are
V Riverview 0-68 L
V Scots 5-50 L
V TAS 20-33 L
V Joeys 0-66 L
V Shore 0-81 L

Grammar moved to 3rds at the same time as High but the contrast is stark. Grammar have stabilised and are competitive, so the move has clearly worked there presumably because they have more depth and more of a rugby demographic (albeit smaller than it once was)

V Kings 21-10 W
V Riverview 28-8 W
V Joeys 7-27 L
V Scots 17-15 W
V TAS 31-12 W

I don’t know how High are going to turn it around with the current enrolment policy. As the lopsided results continue it must surely become increasingly difficult to get boys to participate in rugby at the school.

The Chairman

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How is there so many newington boys in there after losing???
Their backs were enormous. Rodwell kicked beautifully, with an extroadinary 50-22 essentially keeping them in the game. Grantham scored 2 tries and Humphries dominated in the metres and got a pie for himself. Cleverly played excellent in defence and essentially held up the Shore attack in the first half by himself. Standouts in a losing side

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
3rd XV Round 5 Report
There were no real surprises this round but a couple of teams had their premiership chances reduced significantly. Scots edged Riverview in a very close encounter at Lane Cove. Joeys beat Kings convincingly at Hunters Hill, while Grammar and Shore both had decent wins over TAS and High respectively.

Competition Table
Scots 8
Grammar 8
Shore 7
Joeys 6
Riverview 5
Kings 4
TAS 2
High 0

Scots 17 d Riverview 15
I predicted a close game here, but I thought that Riverview would be able to get up at home. They did not and it has pretty much killed their premiership chances. Scots have done very well to bounce back from their loss to Grammar last week and remain equal top of the competition table. They face Shore next week in a critical match before finishing their season in Armidale against TAS.

Joeys 29 d Kings 3
Joeys scored a big win over Kings today at Hunters Hill. Joeys played extremely well, leading 15-3 at half time before adding two more second half tries for a convincing victory. The Joeys try after half time from a set piece was a perfectly executed rugby moment that shows what potential this team has. Unfortunately you just don't get back the early games you lose. Joeys travel to Armidale next week while Kings host Riverview in a battle for the middle of the table.

Grammar 31 d TAS 12
Grammar continue their march towards the premiership with a good win over TAS today. They have games against High and Shore remaining, and two wins will see them at least share the premiership. I can't see them losing from here on in, but you never know. TAS will be disappointed with the result but at least they have been competitive this season. They face Joeys and Scots both in Armidale in the final two weeks.

Shore 81 d High 0
This result is High's biggest loss so far this year and commentators have called for change as a result. 81 points in a 50 minute game is a big loss and not really what anyone wants to see in GPS rugby. Shore would be happy to remain a single point behind the leaders and they have their fate in their own hands. They now play Scots and Grammar in the final two rounds. Two wins will hand them the premiership, but that's a big ask given the form of the leading teams.

What a finale we have for the 3rd XV competition and I will be watching closely.
INP

BoysfromtheBxW

Allen Oxlade (6)
Their backs were enormous. Rodwell kicked beautifully, with an extroadinary 50-22 essentially keeping them in the game. Grantham scored 2 tries and Humphries dominated in the metres and got a pie for himself. Cleverly played excellent in defence and essentially held up the Shore attack in the first half by himself. Standouts in a losing side
Francis from shore also scored 2 tries in a massive come back in the 2nd half. Rodwell had poor game management in the 2nd half and kicked poorly with 3 10 metre kick for touches. Cleverly and humphries only ones i agree with here.

BoysfromtheBxW

Allen Oxlade (6)
3rd XV Round 5 Report
There were no real surprises this round but a couple of teams had their premiership chances reduced significantly. Scots edged Riverview in a very close encounter at Lane Cove. Joeys beat Kings convincingly at Hunters Hill, while Grammar and Shore both had decent wins over TAS and High respectively.

Competition Table
Scots 8
Grammar 8
Shore 7
Joeys 6
Riverview 5
Kings 4
TAS 2
High 0

Scots 17 d Riverview 15
I predicted a close game here, but I thought that Riverview would be able to get up at home. They did not and it has pretty much killed their premiership chances. Scots have done very well to bounce back from their loss to Grammar last week and remain equal top of the competition table. They face Shore next week in a critical match before finishing their season in Armidale against TAS.

Joeys 29 d Kings 3
Joeys scored a big win over Kings today at Hunters Hill. Joeys played extremely well, leading 15-3 at half time before adding two more second half tries for a convincing victory. The Joeys try after half time from a set piece was a perfectly executed rugby moment that shows what potential this team has. Unfortunately you just don't get back the early games you lose. Joeys travel to Armidale next week while Kings host Riverview in a battle for the middle of the table.

Grammar 31 d TAS 12
Grammar continue their march towards the premiership with a good win over TAS today. They have games against High and Shore remaining, and two wins will see them at least share the premiership. I can't see them losing from here on in, but you never know. TAS will be disappointed with the result but at least they have been competitive this season. They face Joeys and Scots both in Armidale in the final two weeks.

Shore 81 d High 0
This result is High's biggest loss so far this year and commentators have called for change as a result. 81 points in a 50 minute game is a big loss and not really what anyone wants to see in GPS rugby. Shore would be happy to remain a single point behind the leaders and they have their fate in their own hands. They now play Scots and Grammar in the final two rounds. Two wins will hand them the premiership, but that's a big ask given the form of the leading teams.

What a finale we have for the 3rd XV competition and I will be watching closely.
INP
Shore could have themselves a cracker season if they finish 1st in 1s and 3s and I believe there is a possibility there 16As are up there on the ladder to. The rebuild of the rugby program has been phenomenal for the GPS competition

Rookie21

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, I am certainly a happy Shore old boy. That first half had me biting my nails as Newington were well and truly on top. The Shoremen should be proud of themselves to come from behind and win like that. Gutsy second half.

Standouts for me were Bassingthwaighte, Callaghan and Harvison. However, every player was crucial to the victory.

Wishing I could be at Northbridge next week for what will likely be the premiership showdown. I crossed paths with most boys in the team during my time at Shore so seeing them win in person would be something very special. However, I will have to settle for watching the stream from the other side of the world.

I digress. Northbridge will be packed to the brim next week. I fear as though there will not be nearly enough pies to go around. @Joker I advise getting to the ground early, my friend.

I don't think this round could have played out any better for Shore.

Firstly, Riverview downing Scots further separates Shore and Joeys from the rest of the pack. I was certainly looking at Scots as a chance to spoil the party. They still could, depending on other results if they manage to win their last two matches, but the task is a bigger ask now. Just quickly on the Fittler tackle, he got that one horribly wrong and it ended ugly. Deserving of a red card. Thought it was strange that he didn't immediately see if the affected player was okay but there was a team of angry View boys on his case, as any team should be to be completely honest. I'm sure there was an opportunity after the match for him to apologise to the Riverview player.

Secondly, and more significantly, I don't think many expected Kings to beat Joeys at Hunters Hill, let alone by that margin. Not only does that win help Shore level the playing field with Joeys, but they're now actually ahead on points differential, making them top of the AAGPS table. Is anyone able to find out when the last time Shore were at the top of the ladder?

Next Saturday at Northbridge will be the game of the season. Enjoy it, gents.

Squidlips

Frank Nicholson (4)
Shore could have themselves a cracker season if they finish 1st in 1s and 3s and I believe there is a possibility there 16As are up there on the ladder to. The rebuild of the rugby program has been phenomenal for the GPS competition
U16A next week versus Joey's will decide the outcome. If Shore beat Joey's it will be a joint premiership.

Frostiesview

Peter Burge (5)
if this season was one round Joeys would have been champions … easily

Crazy how home & away changes things

Considering they are 0-2 against Kings no they wouldn’t have been. Must have only wins to be considered “champions”

Kings last year with all wins and 1 draw did not claim “champions”

Status
Not open for further replies.