• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

NedKelly

Allen Oxlade (6)
Am I right They turned down 2 penalty opportunities in front in the second half???

One in front, another which was kickable but by no means a gimme.

Not often you see Joeys give up a 15 point lead and kept scoreless in the 2nd half (though last year in rd1 they gave up an even bigger lead, 21pts or more from memory, to allow a draw with ...Scots, again at Scots.)

The forwards looked very tired in the last 10. Wondering how much all the rep games may have taken out of some of them and being a forward down for 10 mins early in the 2nd half didn't help. That said, Scots also had quite a few players in those rep games.

All credit to Scots. They were unlucky to be 15-0 behind at oranges and really lifted in the 2nd. Good post-contact metres, offloaded well, smashed into rucks & defended furiously, getting up quickly and catching Joeys behind the gain line.

Joeys will rue some poor decision making, not least the gimme penalty which ended up costing them, but Scots did everything they had to do to keep themselves in the game and put themselves in a a position to win it.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
Jeez that is a shocker from Joey's. What is the ladder looking like after this round.
Lets not forget Joeys Held up 3 tries from Scots today …… credit to Joeys but Scots showed glimpses of what they could have done this season they could have easily amassed twice the points they did today ….. its going to be a very tight run home. Shore v Joeys at Northbridge will be a bellringer snd great for GPS Rugby, an unexpected loss for either team could make things all the more interesting.

NedKelly

Allen Oxlade (6)
Electric. Comp wide open.

It's a fascinating table.

At the end of round 4 Shore were bottom of the table with one win from 4 games and gone for all money. Kings started slowly with a draw and a loss but after knocking over Joeys and View were in 2nd spot and looking the most likely threat to Joeys.

Three rounds later Kings are dead & buried at the bottom and Shore are now 2nd, with all the momentum after three on the trot with the tantalising prospect of a home game against Joeys to avenge a narrow loss at Hunter's Hill which many thought them unlucky to lose.

A win at Northbridge in front of what's shaping as the biggest crowd of the season could see them sharing the lead and looking at a co-premiership. At least. Another stumble from Joeys against a wounded Kings or arch-rivals Riverview and... you just never know.

At the end of round 4 anyone suggesting Shore could win an outright premiership would have been offered a nice cup of tea with a couple of benzodiazepine tablets and a warm, full-length white coat with sleeves that tied up around the back. Not any more.

Everything's on the table and may not be settled until the last minutes of the last round.

Maul of Duty

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not sure about that. The Shore scrum needs a lot of work. They got the game win but I don’t think the score line justifies the game . Shore got the jump when the Kings Loose Head was yellowed for showing a little passion. Up until that point it was a close game. When it got back the 15 vs 15 there was not much in it at all.

anothernudge

Allen Oxlade (6)
IMG_3447.jpeg

ManOSteel

Bob McCowan (2)
Not putting the success up to one individual but could Rex Bassingthwaighte as an addition to shore be a large part of their success this season? Has proven a natural within the comp and consistently tears up back lines (My Kings included). Would love to hear some opinions on him

-Superman

NedKelly

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not sure about that. The Shore scrum needs a lot of work. They got the game win but I don’t think the score line justifies the game . Shore got the jump when the Kings Loose Head was yellowed for showing a little passion. Up until that point it was a close game. When it got back the 15 vs 15 there was not much in it at all.
I watched the replay after Joeys' game. Agree the scoreline flattered Shore a little. It was 21-12 when the King's lucy was binned at around 45mins (frankly I thought the card was soft. Just a bit of argy bargy) and Shore scored twice while he was off & again in the last minute to blow out the final result.

Still a healthy win though. 26 points is the biggest margin of any comp game this season. There haven't really been any blowouts which reflects the close nature of this year's comp. The Shore scrum was often under pressure but gave away no penalites and won all their own ball with one exception - scrummie knocking on while trying to pull it out of the back row.

It's not the strongest scrum in the comp but a weak scrum is not a huge disadvantage at schoolboy level because (in Australia at least) you're not allowed to push more than 1.5 metres or hold the ball at the base of the scrum. (Don't get me started on this!).

ManOSteel

Bob McCowan (2)
Lineups are needed.

Specifically:

Joeys
Scots
New
View

Please lads
Joeys 1st XV (Today atleast)
1. Toby Taggart
2.Charlie Ghattas